Why become a member? ×

Great bass photos

Thunderthumbs

[quote name='skywalker' post='115586' date='Jan 7 2008, 05:14 PM']Excuse me for being a numpty, but what's the point of a thumb rest below the strings??[/quote]

it's not you that's the numpty, as great as leo fender was, he wasn't really aware of a bassist's needs in the early days, the reason the first fender basses have 20 frets (which means you have just below a 4 octave range in standard tuning, pretty silly) is that he thought they didn't need much range because it was supposed to be a "bass." He also assumed that people played with their thumbs rather than the fingers, so early models had the so called "thumb rest" the wrong way round.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='115744' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:28 PM']it's not you that's the numpty, as great as leo fender was, he wasn't really aware of a bassist's needs in the early days, the reason the first fender basses have 20 frets (which means you have just below a 4 octave range in standard tuning, pretty silly) is that he thought they didn't need much range because it was supposed to be a "bass." He also assumed that people played with their thumbs rather than the fingers, so early models had the so called "thumb rest" the wrong way round.[/quote]

I can't work out whether or not this post is a p*sstake.. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='115749' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:32 PM'][quote]it's not you that's the numpty, as great as leo fender was, he wasn't really aware of a bassist's needs in the early days, the reason the first fender basses have 20 frets (which means you have just below a 4 octave range in standard tuning, pretty silly) is that he thought they didn't need much range because it was supposed to be a "bass." He also assumed that people played with their thumbs rather than the fingers, so early models had the so called "thumb rest" the wrong way round.[/quote]

I can't work out whether or not this post is a p*sstake.. :)
[/quote]

Yeah - he was obviously pretty clueless that Leo Fender...
:huh:

I've always liked this Yamaha promo shot of Nick Fyffe (ex Jamiroquai). I've always thought looking down a bass from the headstock or up from the bridge gives the best view. Unfortunately this is the biggest version of the picture I could find!

[quote name='Mike' post='116039' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:23 AM']I've always thought looking down a bass from the headstock or up from the bridge gives the best view. Unfortunately this is the biggest version of the picture I could find![/quote]
Yes, I rather like 'em too. Someone took this shot of li'l ol' me at a recent gig, I love it:
[attachment=4708:purple_haze.jpg]

[quote name='Mike' post='116039' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:23 AM']I've always thought looking down a bass from the headstock or up from the bridge gives the best view.[/quote]

Just got this from a photographer at a party we played at recently looking down the neck of my Marcus Miller Jazz. Updated my profile with it to get my ugly mug off :)

Edited by Thunderthumbs

[quote name='99ster' post='115752' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:36 PM']I can't work out whether or not this post is a p*sstake.. :)

Yeah - he was obviously pretty clueless that Leo Fender...
:huh:[/quote]

never said he was clueless, he'd have been dead a long time before 1991 if he was and tried to do what he did! i'm just saying he didn't really know all of a bassist's needs when he made the first electric bass guitars.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='116350' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:05 PM']never said he was clueless, he'd have been dead a long time before 1991 if he was and tried to do what he did! i'm just saying he didn't really know all of a bassist's needs when he made the first electric bass guitars.[/quote]

I don't suppose Leo thought that bass playing was going to spiral out of control :huh: Leo got it right, just my opinion :)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='116361' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:27 PM']fair enough. But he put 21 frets on his guitars so why not his basses as what i'm thinking really.[/quote]

I don't think there was much demand to play up at the 21st fret in 1954. Or now, for that matter...

I wouldn't claim this to be an all time best image at all but its my fave shot taken of me. There are some great photographers kicking about at gigs these days. Our very own sshorepunk has made me look cool on a whole bunch of occasions. No mean feat!! :)

In fact This one was taken by sshorepunk and I would say a crackin bass photo. Stu Zender last year with Mark Ronson.