Why become a member? ×

Great bass photos

Thunderthumbs

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='116361' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:27 PM']fair enough. But he put 21 frets on his guitars so why not his basses as what i'm thinking really.[/quote]

Good question, I don't know the answer though...all I can think is maybe they were trying to keep it simple, basic. Less is more maybe, it's the reason I prefer Fender a simple basic design but at the same time having plenty of scope as an instrument.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='116361' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:27 PM']fair enough. But he put 21 frets on his guitars so why not his basses as what i'm thinking really.[/quote]

A great man once said - "Theres no money above the fifth fret".

Now, money or no money, I believe this is a more valid opinion than that of anyone who would [i]actually[/i] play the 21st fret on a bass guitar.

Edited by NJW

[quote name='NJW' post='116481' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:49 PM']A great man once said - "Theres no money above the fifth fret".

Now, money or no money, I believe this is a more valid opinion than that of anyone who would [i]actually[/i] play the 21st fret on a bass guitar.[/quote]

Damn...that's why I'm always skint!! :)

Who is this blithering idiot lol. My guitarist's sister was just messing about with her Camera and we felt inspired. She had the torch, guitarist had a laser pointer. I just sat and played ;o)

[quote name='Darryll-Profane' post='116367' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:33 PM']I wouldn't claim this to be an all time best image at all but its my fave shot taken of me. There are some great photographers kicking about at gigs these days. Our very own sshorepunk has made me look cool on a whole bunch of occasions. No mean feat!! :)

[/quote]
Nah no way man. That's not you. That's [url="http://rock.2u.ru/Metallica/images/photos/JasonNewsted/newsted002.jpg"]Jason Newsted[/url]. LOL :huh:

Intonation went out of the window a long time ago when it comes to the size of strings they used to use.

Oh, and I often play with my thumb for a 'bigger', softer tone.

[quote name='NJW' post='116481' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:49 PM']A great man once said - "Theres no money above the fifth fret".

Now, money or no money, I believe this is a more valid opinion than that of anyone who would [i]actually[/i] play the 21st fret on a bass guitar.[/quote]

That man was in the dark,I am the light.

If the fret is there,its there to be used....And I get paid.

[quote name='NJW' post='116481' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:49 PM']Now, money or no money, I believe this is a more valid opinion than that of anyone who would [i]actually[/i] play the 21st fret on a bass guitar.[/quote]

what so just because somebody plays the 21st fret of a bass it makes their opinion invalid? Who let you in the room? I use the fret quite a lot infact i would like a 24 fret bass since the one i have now doesn't have enough.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='115744' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:28 PM']it's not you that's the numpty, as great as leo fender was, he wasn't really aware of a bassist's needs in the early days, the reason the first fender basses have 20 frets (which means you have just below a 4 octave range in standard tuning, pretty silly)[/quote]
******I guess that's why they're probably STILL the most sought after bass of all time..Oh by the way,My 20 fret Fenders have only a 3 Octave range!! [almost]

[quote name='Beneath It All' post='120277' date='Jan 14 2008, 06:06 PM']******I guess that's why they're probably STILL the most sought after bass of all time..Oh by the way,My 20 fret Fenders have only a 3 Octave range!! [almost][/quote]

what i meant is that you can't play 4 octaves of the note E on a 20 fret bass, maybe it doesn't bother you but it bothered a lot of other people, that's why almost all new basses have at least 21 frets! And people aren't attracted to vintage fenders because they have 20 frets. That's like me saying "oh yes let's buy this old car for 5x the price of a new BMW PURLEY for the reason that it has a 3 speed gearbox so you'll never get it to 70mph!" They are attracted to it because they are rare and collectable items. I really doubt they'd be less popular today had they had more frets.

Anyway why the f*** are you getting so pissed off? i never said they were bad basses, i just said that imo there were a few obvious oversights made when this bass was first built.

Edited by EdwardHimself