Why become a member? ×

high/low gain inputs

Hit&Run

Both of my amps have active/passive (Laney) or high gain/low gain (peavey) inputs for the bass. Is it the case that active basses [u]always[/u] go in the active/low gain input and that passive basses [u]always [/u]go in the passive/high gain input? I have passive, hotter passive(SD 1/4lb), 9v & 18v active basses and were wondering if there were definite 'best practices' for which input to use?
I've also got a couple of active/passive basses; should they go in the active input (if primarily being used in active mode) and should I just accept a drop in volume if I go passive?

Also, if an active bass goes into a pedal (like an aphex bass xciter, or hartke vxl) is it still classed as active, or could the signal then go into the low gain/passive input on an amp?

I hope the above makes sense.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere.

Thanks.

Edited by Hit&Run

Hi.. well in short.. no you don't *have* to use those inputs specifically high for passive, low for active etc. As it happens, I have owned active basses whose outputs are quieter than that of a passive bass.

Herein lies the clue. - Basically, if a bass has a very highout put and constantly clips the preamp into distortion, use the attenuated input instead to clean up the sound. If you have to wind the gain up quite high to even get it to slightly clip, then use the non attenuated input.

(some amps don't have seperate inputs, but have a switch to change between the low/hi modes)

Now.. you may WANT to overdrive the preamp, in the case of a valve amp for example.. in which case, a higher output bass into a non attenuated input will help you get the drive you need.

ok.. So that seems logical.. well.. enter amps like the Ampeg SVT. The input path on my Ampeg preamp looks like this:-

o- input - pad switch - first valve - peak light sensing - gain control - second valve EQ circuit ... etc etc..

You can, using a hot signalled bass with no attenuation to distort the first valve in the circuit, with the input gain turned all the way down! The peak LED will be going nuts, but you wont hear a thing!

My point is, its a good idea to understand the amp you are using to know where the signal is hot!

Another example, using my Ampeg again, I can stop the input gain light from coming on with a low input, but add so much boost in the EQ, that the peak LED for the EQ flashes instead! - A different sounding drive and dirt available there too.

In short, trust your ears.. Some love the sound of an overdriving preamp.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='115671' date='Jan 7 2008, 06:40 PM']Also, if an active bass goes into a pedal (like an aphex bass xciter, or hartke vxl) is it still classed as active, or could the signal then go into the low gain/passive input on an amp?[/quote]

Again, this would depend on the level of the output signal. Potentially the output of these pedals could be on the hot side, so I think as a starter, try the active / attenuated input.