Why become a member? ×

What's with the ringing?

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Just bought a Fender Jazz USA (which I love to death already) but I've noticed a strange metallic ringing sound when I play the open A string. The set up from the shop is pretty good, and I'm sure its not a fret buzz issue. The metallic sound is almost non-existent when the string is fretted. It also seems that the same string is ever so slightly quieter than the rest. It just seems that the thud has a metallic undertone.

This is probably something pretty obvious, but I was dropped at birth so struggle with these things.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Pretty sure its not the tuners. It almost sounds as if there's something wrong with the string itself. Almost as if the core is detached from the winding. Not sure if this is possible though??

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='115817' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:56 PM']Pretty sure its not the tuners. It almost sounds as if there's something wrong with the string itself. Almost as if the core is detached from the winding. Not sure if this is possible though??[/quote]

yup, had strings with loose wraps before. Though mine made the string sound dull and sort of 'fuzzy' when played hard. Defintely sounded like another note was straining to get out at the same time.

Also check the grooves in the nut aren't too big. I used to have a bass that I couldnt use a certain brand of string on, as the'r gauges (although saying 85 for example) were smaller than other brands. The string would make a rattling sound.. but it didn't sound as if it were coming from the nut!! Must have been something to do with the resonance of the wood I guess.

Failing that.. it's tinnitus lol

Yes, it could be the string itself. Unfortunately the only way to rule it out is to change the string.

Try playing the same "A" note on the other strings (and at octaves above). Do you hear the sound at all (even faintly) or does it only happen with the open A string ?

Try damping anything you can touch in the string path (from bridge to tuner) while playing the note to see if anything is resonating.

Try tuning the A-string up/down a semitone. Do you still hear the ring ? If you don't then it's something resonating somewhere to that particular note. If you do hear it when tuned differently then it could be the string itself. Do you have an old A-string lying around to swap temporarily ?

Process of elimination is all you can try.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='dood' post='115830' date='Jan 7 2008, 10:02 PM']yup, had strings with loose wraps before. Though mine made the string sound dull and sort of 'fuzzy' when played hard. Defintely sounded like another note was straining to get out at the same time.

Also check the grooves in the nut aren't too big. I used to have a bass that I couldnt use a certain brand of string on, as the'r gauges (although saying 85 for example) were smaller than other brands. The string would make a rattling sound.. but it didn't sound as if it were coming from the nut!! Must have been something to do with the resonance of the wood I guess.

Failing that.. it's tinnitus lol[/quote]

I think that could be it. When amped up, the ringing is less noticeable but the string sounds dead/dull.

I will change and report back.

Cheers .

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='115860' date='Jan 7 2008, 10:19 PM']Yeah, the nut looks pretty snug. Here's hoping.[/quote]

Is the string wound quite high on the tuning peg? This would mean theres not enough angle for the nut to work properly

Just a thought :)

Loving the new avatar mate! You should make your band all go naked except for a red bunnet! :huh: