Why become a member? ×

recommendations for a beginner bass?

edgarjavids

Hi guys, im new to this forum and am in need of some advice!

Im taking up playing bass and im not sure which bass to get! I have a max £300 budget and want to get a decent guitar and amp for that price. I love bands like Muse and would love a bass that plays well with their sounds...any help guys?

Jav

A quick google reveals that Chris Wolstenholme still uses a Marshall B150 when he can get away with it, so one of those is an option. He also uses Pedulla basses, so maybe a Jazz bass (Squier?) might be in order. It's not a short scale, but you get a very different sound with short scale basses anyway, due to the lower string tension.

The classic first bass dilemma is that you get much more for your money by going second hand but, being inexperienced, you need the opportunity to sit down and try a few different styles of bass to see which you prefer.

If you need the 3/4 scale then obviously your options are limited but have a look at [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/short_scale_basses.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/short_scale_basses.html[/url]

You don't mention what you want the amp to do. Is it solely for home practice? for rehearsing with? or for gigging?

You can get up and running with a reasonable quality cheap bass and 'bedroom' amp for surprisingly little money. So for £300 you have the chance to get a nice set-up that will last you some time (until GAS sets in!)

If I was spending your money for you then I'd say a safe bet was the Squier Bronco and a Roland CB-30 Bass Cube. However your best option is to take your time, get around as many shops as you can and see what feels right for you.

The best of luck with your bass playing mate.

+1 on eloms recomendations, there is not a lot more I could add about the guitar. Just try some out, would agree with the bronco but do try out some full size ones, you may be suprised. My westone thunder is only has 20 frets and the fretboard is only 24 inches long, and you can pick them up for around the £100 to £150 mark, (and thats for an active version). there are many other options you will be recommended, when shopping for it, don't be presurised in to what the salesman pushes on you, just try a few things out. As for the amps I would reccomend Roland, Ashdown or fender.

Have a look around and think about what your buying, as elom said get whats right for you.

best of luck

Simon