Why become a member? ×

status kingbass 5 strings

ian

Advice please.I have a kingbass 5. Now in your opinion is this bass made for 30s to 115 .What i mean is do we think this suits this bass best for both sound and playability..I currently have the bass set with 40s to 125s .but do think it sounded better with ther lighter gauge.Im just throwing it out there to see what you guys think :)

Hey Ian, being as you're playing my old bass, I'd better report on this one...

I always ran it on 30-115 sets, either the double ball end hotwires or the "bolt down" Rotosounds you got the bass on. Rob told me that the KB was designed for 30 guage strings, so I never changed it. Am I right in saying that with 40's & the 32 inch scale, the string tension has increased hugely & string bending is much much harder?

I ran my original 88 Series II on 40's for a while & never got on with them. A Status needs to be lithe and fast with 30's or 35's. I'm not light-guage string obsessed, though... Currently running my S2 Classic on 30's, the Warwick & Geddy on 35's, and the Yamaha & Hofner on 40's. (Yamaha is 30-125 six string set!)

I'd call Dawn & order some more 30's. It's made for them!