Why become a member? ×

DR Neon strings. Anyone tried them?

dave_bass5

hey guys n gals

yeah just to add my 2p's worth i've just got into the Neon strings after being a Rotosound user for the last 18yrs and I must say that I was shocked on how good the Neon strings are. Great tone, highs/mids/lows etc..... I found a great ebay supplier works out around £20 and I received them in less than 7 days which rocks!

ta much!

Nathan
p.s i'll try and add some pics....
[attachment=65337:neon_strings_002.JPG]
[attachment=65338:neon_strings_001.JPG]

[quote name='funkymonkey25uk' post='1041468' date='Nov 29 2010, 06:31 PM']hey guys n gals

yeah just to add my 2p's worth i've just got into the Neon strings after being a Rotosound user for the last 18yrs and I must say that I was shocked on how good the Neon strings are. Great tone, highs/mids/lows etc..... I found a great ebay supplier works out around £20 and I received them in less than 7 days which rocks!

ta much!

Nathan
p.s i'll try and add some pics....
[attachment=65337:neon_strings_002.JPG]
[attachment=65338:neon_strings_001.JPG][/quote]
Fab!

I gigged mine last Friday. They have great tone and feel, especially with my silk gloves :) Great strings, I love DRs.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1042982' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:19 PM']Mine arrived today, after 2 weeks. There are a couple of pics of them on my green Yamaha in the other thread about them![/quote]

Yeah, just saw the pics. Lovely bass.

What do you think of the strings? Im pretty sure this will be the only set i get. Nice strings but i think ill miss my XL's.

I got some orange ones recently too, I really like them! They feel different than the black beauties I had before, I don't really know how to describe the feeling, perhaps they feel more coated? Feels a lot more like how I always thought a coated string would feel...They're not as harsh as the black beauties were when they were new, but I like that to be honest! Now i'm just waiting to see how long they last...Here's hoping they last at least a month before they start to really sound different!

Ive got my first gig with mine tomorrow (assuming we make the gig).
Im getting used to them now. They feel a bit rougher than my normal strings but that's not a problem. Once i get the first gig out of the way im sure know if im going to love them or take them off,

Im so hooked on my CV P with Chromes at the moment that its clouding my judgment.

Edited by dave_bass5

After doing just one gig i think in going to take the DR's off and put XL's back on.

My bass felt too difference last night, and although it was a pretty crappy stage and very bright room i felt the DR's are just not for me.

I think ill sell them and buy some more XL's.

• 5 months later...

1/ Yes. Green ones. A lot of the colour has come off where I the pick has abraded them but they are fine around the neck. Still look good from a distance...

2/ Yes.

3/ If it were mine I'd put on DR Black Beauties.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1048148' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:33 PM']After doing just one gig i think in going to take the DR's off and put XL's back on.

My bass felt too difference last night, and although it was a pretty crappy stage and very bright room i felt the DR's are just not for me.

I think ill sell them and buy some more XL's.[/quote]Same for me too! ..i fitted an orange set a couple of weeks ago,to my 5 string jazz and found i did not like the sound or feel of them at all..i have done 2 gigs and 3 rehearsals to give them a chance,but they are coming off and being replaced with my usual elixir nanoweb.
i also found them a bit overpowering to look at when playing under lights with this big 5 string band of orange glaring at you.found myself making even more mistakes than normal :)
still its good to try other strings.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1244666' date='May 25 2011, 07:31 PM']1/ Yes. Green ones. A lot of the colour has come off where I the pick has abraded them but they are fine around the neck. Still look good from a distance...

2/ Yes.

[b][b]3/ If it were mine I'd put on DR Black Beauties.[/b][/b][/quote]

+ everything :)

I think Black Beauties would get lost on my rosewood board with pearl blocks. If I had a maple board and white scratch plate then I would be all over the black strings.

I just want to be a brightly coloured whore for the punters!

:)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1048148' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:33 PM']After doing just one gig i think in going to take the DR's off and put XL's back on.

I think ill sell them and buy some more XL's.[/quote]

[quote name='bassmanady' post='1244752' date='May 25 2011, 08:39 PM']Same for me too! ..i fitted an orange set a couple of weeks ago,to my 5 string jazz and found i did not like the sound or feel of them at all..i have done 2 gigs and 3 rehearsals to give them a chance,but they are coming off and being replaced with my usual elixir nanoweb.
i also found them a bit overpowering to look at when playing under lights with this big 5 string band of orange glaring at you.found myself making even more mistakes than normal :)
still its good to try other strings.[/quote]

I recently fitted a set of DR's & found the same... Didn't like the feel, didn't like the sound...[i]all gnarly & no warmth[/i]... :) they're coming off after 1 gig!.. back to D'addario EXL 170-5's for me.... I don't think I've ever not liked a set of strings so much before!... That surprised me...

Edited by bottomfeed

I really wanted a set (green for a black bass, naturally), being a sucker for anything neon, but between 'Design the Skyline' destroying any 'cool' factor and losing warmth from your tone with them, i'm finding myself subtly dissuaded from using them. *sigh* and I do [b]SO[/b] like bright colours.

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='1249070' date='May 29 2011, 12:36 PM']I recently fitted a set of DR's & found the same... Didn't like the feel, didn't like the sound...[i]all gnarly & no warmth[/i]... :) they're coming off after 1 gig!.. back to D'addario EXL 170-5's for me.... I don't think I've ever not liked a set of strings so much before!... That surprised me...[/quote]

Same here. Although i love the EXL's i can happily use most other strings, but the DR's just felt wrong to me. I wish i had tried them on my P bass before selling them but the colour was wrong so didnt bother.

While I would otherwise post a thread in the wanted section, this may be a useful place to ask if those of you who've bought, tried and taken off your neons, would you be interested in selling them on for myself to try out?

Really been gazing at them for many a month now, but never got round to buying any. And of course, I'd rather pay a little less and try out a used set first before ordering a fresh new pack.

[quote name='DangerDan' post='1252440' date='Jun 1 2011, 10:27 AM']I really wanted a set (green for a black bass, naturally), being a sucker for anything neon, but between 'Design the Skyline' destroying any 'cool' factor and losing warmth from your tone with them, i'm finding myself subtly dissuaded from using them. *sigh* and I do [b]SO[/b] like bright colours.[/quote]

I don't think their bass player uses them. I'm considering orange myself just to distance myself from that band in any case.

Greens on my Bass Collection.

[attachment=81857:DRNeons.jpg]

Particularly cool (or a pathetic affectation, depending on your viewpoint) when I had UV Trace Elliot head. Going to stick some Black Beauties on it soon as I prefer them.