Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='118185' date='Jan 10 2008, 09:42 PM']What is trad-jazz?[/quote]

Even with my love and respect for Jazz, I still have to have more than 12 pints to start talking knowledgeably about it - let alone start dancing to it :)

Hamster

[quote name='jakesbass' post='118215' date='Jan 10 2008, 10:28 PM']trad jazz is a 1950s onwards British version of new orleans music (dixieland, Louis Armstrong probably the most well known)
sadly the british version in my experience is played by people whos major skill is alchohol consumption. I'm sure there are some good ones but I haven't found many
New Orleans music on the other hand has been played by some of the worlds greatest players
Jake[/quote]

I'd count Chris Barber and Monty Sunshine in the 'good ones' category...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='118074' date='Jan 10 2008, 07:12 PM']That Mighty Boosh clip was not even close to funny. Fast Show was much nearer the mark.[/quote]

That may be, but the Fast Show is rubbish and The Mighty Boosh ROCKS.

IMO, of course.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='118264' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:52 PM']That may be, but the Fast Show is rubbish and The Mighty Boosh ROCKS.

IMO, of course.[/quote]

Just my opinion.........but I don't get The Mighty Boosh :) can you recommend an episode maybe? See if I can get it :huh:

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='117860' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:23 PM']+1

I've just been listening to John Coltrane, 'A Love Supreme' bloody marvelous :)[/quote]

He was also excellent in "Nuns on the Run".

In response to all the I love jazz except Trad comments: [quote name='wateroftyne' post='118263' date='Jan 10 2008, 11:51 PM']I'd count Chris Barber and Monty Sunshine in the 'good ones' category...[/quote]
So would I. And Humphrey Littleton. And George Melley. Saw Chris Barber several times in the 70's.

• 2 weeks later...

I still love it, peeps. I have spent the last 2 - 3 years getting into Brazillian, Argentinian and Cuban music, all of which I still enjoy a lot, but I can't help but keep returning to the sound of surprise and still love the spirit, energy and passion of jazz SOOOOO much.

Joe Lovano's Landmarks CD - perfect!
Joe Henderson's Double Rainbow - Henderson plays the arse off Jobim.
Keith Jarrett's Still Live - subliiiiime!
Michael Brecker's Don't Try This At Home - Itsbynne Reel!!
Pat Metheny's 80/81 - the dogs danglies!

I struggle to see why anyone would mistake trad jazz for the stuff I like. Its chalk and cheese. I spend my whole time thinking about jazz, listening to jazz, yearning for jazz - all because I can't get to play it as much as I would like. Sounds like you have some nice gigs, Mikey. Need any deps? Birmingham is only a three hour drive from Felixstowe!! :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='130683' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:23 PM']Mikey. Need any deps? Birmingham is only a three hour drive from Felixstowe!! :)[/quote]

If I ever need a dep for a gig that would be worth your travel I will let you know. But I doubt it, you play 'electric' bass don't you!? :huh:

I think Chris Potter is on the later Dave Holland albums
I really like the odd time stuff
in particular "Lazy Snake"
it is almost viscous.at least unsettling.

I would think "Kind of Blue" is a must have record for any Bass Player by the way.
Is seminal the right word?
It is greatness recorded anyway and is a lifelong lesson, there is always more on the next listen.

Don't get me on the 'electric bass in jazz' thing, Mikey. I have spent my whole career (since 1985) fighting that one - I don't mind losing gigs to Dave Holland but there are some urb players out there that should be encouraged to PACK IT IN!!! NOW!!

I can swing as well as most urb players and can nail a lot more than many. :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='134859' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:00 AM']Don't get me on the 'electric bass in jazz' thing, Mikey. I have spent my whole career (since 1985) fighting that one - I don't mind losing gigs to Dave Holland but there are some urb players out there that should be encouraged to PACK IT IN!!! NOW!!

I can swing as well as most urb players and can nail a lot more than many. :)[/quote]

Do you still come across the purists then Bilbo?

Its subtle but, yes. There are many people who book me for jazz gigs but I always get the sense that I am not their first choice because, whilst I can play, I don't fulfil the expectations of the 'jazz aesthetic' by having a 'real' bass. They all ask, for instance, 'do you play the upright'? Would these same jazzers routinely ask double bass players if they played electric? I think its as much to do with the 'perception' of the upright as the 'correct' instrument for the genre as it is a genuine insight into the strengths or weaknesses in my playing.

The problem is less of an issue with younger players (I am 44) but, whilst there are exceptions, the old school are still prejudiced in favour of the upright. I have said it 1,000 on here, Steve Swallow is one of the mst musical bass players out there. If the electric is good enough for him....

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='134893' date='Feb 6 2008, 11:17 AM']Its subtle but, yes. There are many people who book me for jazz gigs but I always get the sense that I am not their first choice because, whilst I can play, I don't fulfil the expectations of the 'jazz aesthetic' by having a 'real' bass. They all ask, for instance, 'do you play the upright'? Would these same jazzers routinely ask double bass players if they played electric? I think its as much to do with the 'perception' of the upright as the 'correct' instrument for the genre as it is a genuine insight into the strengths or weaknesses in my playing.

The problem is less of an issue with younger players (I am 44) but, whilst there are exceptions, the old school are still prejudiced in favour of the upright. I have said it 1,000 on here, Steve Swallow is one of the mst musical bass players out there. If the electric is good enough for him....[/quote]

This is the thing I don't get with Jazz, I'm not on the jazz scene or circuit but I am a fan of some jazz forms, mainly a fusion crossover type of approach (fusion...that can mean anything I suppose) for me it's all about change, exploring sounds, risk taking, rising to a challenge.....so why do they insist that you need an urb? Some aspects of jazz.... don't take this the wrong way :) should be put in a museum...it's done, time to move on, surely that's jazz? Just my opinion you understand.

I think people, jazz musicians, are generally more conservative than they would like to admit - they get to the cutting edge early on in their careers and then stay where they are despite the fact that the music moves on. I find younger people are more informed about a broader range of idioms and are, consequently, less staid in their outlook but the people who learned their craft in the 60s & 70s seem less flexible.

Is this me in 10 years time!!?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='134919' date='Feb 6 2008, 11:53 AM']I think people, jazz musicians, are generally more conservative than they would like to admit - they get to the cutting edge early on in their careers and then stay where they are despite the fact that the music moves on. I find younger people are more informed about a broader range of idioms and are, consequently, less staid in their outlook but the people who learned their craft in the 60s & 70s seem less flexible.

Is this me in 10 years time!!?[/quote]

You in 10 years time? wouldn't have thought so.

But the electric bass has been around for half a century now! People still play electric guitar in jazz bands, right? :)
I'm quite interested in this idea of what jazz is exactly... about exploring new ideas and generally doing things differently? Challenging traditions and stuff? Coz to me, that kinda jazz is great - but I'm used to jazz being defined as horn sections, tiny drumkits, URBs and scat... and an unquestionable obsession with being "smooth" - whilst that's all very well in itself, I don't see how the rigidness of that formula fits in with the idea of moving music forward - would it still be jazz if the bass line was distorted or played on a keyboard? And if there was a massive percussion section instead of horns?? What stops Meshuggah from being jazz? Or Cathode Ray Tube Beef Curry?
I'm not trying to pick apart jazz - I'd just like to know exactly what it is, and so I can learn the similarities of trad jazz (which I can't stand) and stuff like Weather Report (which I enjoy immensely)