Why become a member? ×

Bass Big Muff volume and feedback mods

dannybuoy

There's an issue with the BBM that drives me nuts, and it's the fact the when in dry mode you have 100% dry signal plus however much fuzz you dial in via the volume knob... end result is you have a massive volume boost when you turn it on. To work around this I have been using a separate blender pedal which takes up board space and costs more than the BBM itself!

I figured out an easy way to fix this, which is to wire in an extra master volume control by intercepting the fuzz output signal before it hits the footswitch. I also added a Supercollider Beast style feedback/oscillation mod but on a momentary switch so I can make it stutter. This just took a couple of hours and a few quid in parts (momentary footswitch, 100K log mini-pot and a knob all from Maplins) and I'm very pleased with the result - plus the battery still fits in too! Hopefully the photos below should be enough to follow what's going on if anyone else wants to try it out. I had to cut and split the right-most wire in the ribbon cable and feed that to my pot. The pot also connects to the centre pin on the footswitch which was the most easily available ground point. The momentary footswitch just connects the right hand leg of transistors Q2 and Q3.

Edited by dannybuoy

Just one thing i'm not clear on it yet. Does this pot afects the entire pedal? I mean, does it mute all the sound of the pedal when rolled off? From your post i've got the idea you where bypassing the fuzz signal and not the main output signal...
I have the same struggle with this pedal and this mod would be lovely to do if it works like i'm expecting to.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge :)

edit for some bad english (i know there is lot more left) and for some clarification

another edit to ask for some samples using the feedback switch or a link to a youtube video?

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='umph' post='1035620' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:19 PM']why didn't you do a seperate volume for the clean?[/quote]

I would have done if I could figure out how, but it's a fiddly double sided PCB that you can't remove very easily.

Ghostbass -yes, it's just basic master volume control that affects the whole pedal. In dry mode, you adjust the regular volume knob until you're happy with the clean/dirty ratio, then back off the volume a bit with the new knob.

I'll do some samples when I can after my gig tomorrow.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1035741' date='Nov 24 2010, 11:03 PM']I would have done if I could figure out how, but it's a fiddly double sided PCB that you can't remove very easily.

Ghostbass -yes, it's just basic master volume control that affects the whole pedal. In dry mode, you adjust the regular volume knob until you're happy with the clean/dirty ratio, then back off the volume a bit with the new knob.

I'll do some samples when I can after my gig tomorrow.[/quote]

Great! I think i'll be gutting mine very soon :)
Those samples would be much appreciated. If i think i can use it in my band i'll do both mods in one go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah I was (am) a similar novice solderer and I found it easy enough - I'm taking some pictures of some basses tonight so will retake some of the innards of this pedal while I'm at it!

In fact I bought the nano version as a replacement intending to mod that too but never got round to it - so the original modded BBM will be up for sale at some point!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1443440105' post='2874624']
so the original modded BBM will be up for sale at some point!
[/quote]
Gimme dibs please??? I still remember what my Xotic BB bass preamp sounded like through my BBM!!!!
edit: and that was after reading one of yur threads about it Dan!!

Cheers
Daz..

Edited by Tuco

• 1 year later...