Why become a member? ×

Am I the only one not in a band?

Jamesemt

Bit tongue in cheek, but very true. Everywhere I turn people are always talking about the band they are in.

I'm in a bit of a funny situation at present - been 'back' playing bass for about 7 months, but have a 13 month old daughter and work shifts, so I don't feel I can give enough time to a band situation - at least not to gig (don't even know if I want to gig anymore...too self conscious, too much of a perfectionist, too many bad gig experiences).

Does anyone just jam with a band for the hell of it?

If you want a bit of meaning to this thread, why do you play bass? For me, long story short, felt there was something missing for the last few years (played guitar for about 6 years, then on and off over the next 10 years). I have a stressful job and found it very difficult to switch off (bit of a worrier, see), the bass is something I can play were I completely forget about everything else that is going on in my life, and it also makes me feel like a teenager again!

What's your story? What motivates you to pick up the bass? Why are there so many guitar converts? I was actually pretty good on the guitar - even did some teaching...

I must appologise for the rambling :)

For me it's just a hobby I don't get bored with! Before I played bass I used to get bored most days and look around for something to do but since then I can honestly say I have never experienced abject boredom! Playing gigs is an extra bonus coz it's fun and it gives me something to work towards with my playing
As for why play bass rather than guitar, I just like low notes better than high ones...

I've only been playing for two years after a thirty year (!) layoff, and wasn't playing with anyone until last summer.

Started jamming with some guys I contacted over the net, but it became obvious that they weren't going to put much effort/commitment into learning numbers, they were happy just showing off their licks or "finding their tone" - so I just went for a bassist slot with an existing band and got it.

There's nothing quite like playing in a band - if it falls apart, I'll go find/start another.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='118566' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:45 PM']I must appologise for the rambling :)[/quote]

Interesting rambling never the less, Jamesemt.

I gues like lots of us, for me just playing the bass just makes life better - and what better excuse than that do you need!

I'm a band player, committed to it too. The coming year is starting to look stupid busy - but would I ever say no to a gig- I doubt it! Its one of the aspects of playing I really enjoy. The getting to gether with band mates (whichever band it is!) and trying to convert an audience into accepting that they are watching a half decent band.

I work too, busy or not music just doesn't seem to pay the bills for me - but always at the back of my mind when the job throws up its streses from time to time I can think - never mind, I'm going to be doing something much more enjoyable tonight!

David

I'm deffinitely a band member first and a bassist 2nd. I'm probably better on guitar, and I never play my bass at home. Another example of my attitude is that I gig with 20+ pedals, but play acoustic guitar at home. The only reason I ever played the bass was because I thought I could contribute to the band with this instrument, so, the total opposite to you jamesemt!

Because, for along time, everything good in my life came to me because I played. That is no longer the case but it still feels like the safest place in the world to me. It helps me make friends, it is a creative outlet where I have no other, it earns me money, it relives stress, it brings me affirmation where I need it, it keeps me interested in what is going on in the world of music and art, its fun, its totally absorbing, it gives me a social life that sees me coming home with more money than when I went out (unlike most people's), it takes me to places I would probably otherwise not go and introduces me to people I would otherwise not meet (even TheBigBeefChief)..... and because I can.

So why wouldn't I?

I'm an ex-guitarist, been in bands since the 60's but was asked by a friend who was in a glam tribute band to play bass for them so I bought a P and a TE combo and set off. That band didn't last long and I soon got into another on bass but in this short space of time, I discovered that I really enjoyed playing bass and here I am 3 years later and still at it.

I only play to gig and when the gigging stops, all the gear will go. Sad but true.

I am not playing with one now either...I rehearse at home 2 hours a day, good for my rehab......I was dabbling at restarting my original band up from the 80's! (yikes) as the original co founder lives about 2 hours plus from me, but he has gone off the deep end mentally. He was always very hard to work with and ALWAYS talked between songs and would walk out at times if you asked him to be quiet. Many musicians would not play with me when I wanted to do a project if he was involved. It got that bad. Pity though, he was an extremely talented song writer.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='118566' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:45 PM']I'm in a bit of a funny situation at present - been 'back' playing bass for about 7 months, but have a 13 month old daughter and work shifts, so I don't feel I can give enough time to a band situation - at least not to gig (don't even know if I want to gig anymore...too self conscious, too much of a perfectionist, too many bad gig experiences).[/quote]
You sound like me about 4 years ago. I'd long given up bass because without a band or anyone to jam with, I'd forgotten about it. But three years ago, I got rehearsing with people again and have played in four or five bands since and am loving it. I too have a toddler and a job that likes to think my free time is their work time - so you're not alone!

Edited by stingrayfan

Good topic.

My last band finished in unfortunate circumstances last May. I've enjoyed the break since but am ready to get going again now. So, I posted my own advert on Gumtree and got loads of responses. I'm meeting three bands over the weekend for a chat, so we'll see. If you just fancy a jam locally, James, why not post an ad yourself saying that? People will know where you stand and you won't have any baloney from 17-year olds with 'industry contacts' and silly expectations (and haircuts).

Cheers

I play bass (and here's the embarrassing admission) - because my elder sister was into The Bay City Rollers and fancied the bassist, Alan Longmuir.

That's when I first got a fascination for the "guitar with only 4 strings", so I suppose I've got her to thank for where I am now.

Bought myself a bass at school when it was plainly obvious my mate in the band we formed was a much better guitarist than me. Taught myself how to play. Loved it then, and love it now.

Hugely influenced by Bruce Foxton when I was a kid, and joined a covers band when I was 17. Through that, I've got some great mates, and a couple of very close ones. The drummer was best man at my wedding - and I was at his. It also allowed us to swap musical tastes, and through the 24 years since then I've had a great journey music-wise.

I had a break from regular gigging for about 10 years, but then doing the odd gig with a friend of mine gave me the love back. It started with him opening his set with a song I'd never even heard, let alone played. He played me the bassline, I picked it up, and we did the gig from there. It made me realise I had a talent that was being wasted just sitting at home doing nothing when I could be out gigging.

So I looked in the locals for an advert. Found one immediately which suited me, got the job, and we're still together 2 years later, and hopefully going from strength to strength.

I've even now got to the point where I enjoy practicing at home again, and am now even looking for lessons with a top quality teacher to help push me beyond my boundaries and limitations.

There's a band out there for you, that'll fit into your lifestyle. Just keep looking. And just keep playing for the fun of it. It's a beautiful instrument.

Ive just,in word only got a band together,gonna start writing at the end of the month,its been over 2 years since I did ANY original music,and this time I feel better to start again.

Why do I play...why do I play a 9 string?

I cant follow the herd,I just cant,it dosent feel right,I never wanted to be a guitarist...Ive sung for years,and one day a mate said "You should play Bass as well". And so I just got that into my head,that "Thats what Im gonna do". He got me started,Steve Harris inspired me,Jack Bruce got me using 3 fingers,Geezer got me using 4 and Lemmy made me rumble the windows with chords.

Its been a very faithfull friend,esp when I have felt lonely and isolated from others through my youth(Last year I was finally diagnosed why I nearly always felt that detatched...feeling) and instruments are a lot easier to deal with than people,in a communicative sense.

Bass is my spirit,I cant accept traditions esp when I see they are just predictive crap,I have to push onward,often as always AGAINST what is the perceived normal and everyday,because its always flawed.

I just know when Im around the right musicians.....it works.

I started playing bass back in the late 80's when I was 16 after seeing U2 at Live Aid and thinking Adam Clayton looked so cool. I was also a big fan of The Police and Sting. I had no idea about music but thought the bass was interesting. After playing for a bit I fell in love with it and spent the next two years in my bedroom just playing bass to all my records. I lost all my old friends as I never went out, I just spent every free hour playing bass and reading everything about bass.

I sort of formed a band with a friend at college and we wrote some pretty good songs. We split and I ended up joining another band which did lots of gigs including Brixton Academy. That band only lasted about 4 years but it was really good for me to try things out and experiment and gain some experience gigging.

I then formed another band with my original friend from college and some other members of local bands. The band was called Inter. The scene around Farnborough was very big in the mid to late 90's with hundreds of bands forming and playing. My goal was always to record a CD, have a song played on the radio and do a gig in Europe. We ended up getting a pretty good record deal, touring the whole of the UK and some of Europe, recording and releasing an album and 4 singles, lots of radio and TV work including two Radio 1 John Peel sessions and Q magazine gave our album 4 out of 5. So all in all, I achieved a lot more that I had ever wished for.

However, this all ended in 2000 and I was pretty much sick of the music industry and burnt out from playing. I wrote a lot of the songs and did most of the arrangements and I was honestly sick of it. I loved every minute of it but I had just had enough of it. So I turned my back on it. Sold all but one of my basses and all my equipment, went into hiding and closed that chapter of my life. After playing bass for a living, I did not have the energy to just go and play for fun. I didn't want to go and join a new band with a bunch of strangers as it would be to frustrating and the interest and energy was gone. Going from a band that was so locked together and knew each other inside out to just doing it casual was not for me.

I ended up getting married and having a son who is now 5. My wife has been superb but hates me not playing. She's knows I am very creative and have lots of energy and hates me not having a channel to express myself. She has really supported me and has helped me to try and find other ways to express myself but nothing apart from music works for me. The break has done me good and really energised me and despite the break being far to long, I am really raring to start playing again. I started to play a little bit on my old bass but I wanted something new and fresh to play so I bought a Fender Precision 1953 re-issue bass. In the search for a new bass, I came across a beautiful Squire Vintage Jazz Frettless and I fell in love with it but I could not justify buying two basses at this stage plus I could not afford it. However, I came home one day from work and my beautiful wife had secretly bought it for me. So now I am learning to play Frettless and I adore it. Its so much fun but also very challenging which is exactly what I need.

My long term plan is still not set. I really want to be very comfortable and confident playing frettless bass. I am even tempted to go for some frettless bass lessons and really develop my ability on the fretless. I would also like to get into a band of some sort just for the fun of playing in a group together. I am not sure what sort of stuff I would like to play but something thats fun. I also plan to get an electric upright double bass. Again, maybe to tinker with and maybe to play in a band. I would love to learn jazz but I have a feeling this might take a lot of effort as I know nothing about jazz and it seems very un-natural style for me to play.

So thats my story I guess.

If anyone wants to download my old bands album, then I have attached a copy.

[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VUCKLMJE"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VUCKLMJE[/url]

[quote]Because, for along time, everything good in my life came to me because I played[/quote]

Same here. My gigging years were some of the best of my life. I am just a bedroom player right now, but I THINK I want to get out there again. I say think, because I have been saying that for a couple of years now and I haven't done anything about it.

My main band back in the day were my best mates, and I have never found anything to compare to that.

However, another guitarist pal of mine who I have gigged with before, reckons the time might be ready for us to put something together again. We had fun the first time around and we could both do with making a bit of pocket money.

Might never happen though! :)

Paul.

Played Drums in a couple of bands, really liked it but as time went on, I was getting more fed-up with the amount of gear I had to carry and set up.

Practicing was also difficult too.

I've always admired the bass, I grew up in the 80's with the Soul, Funk & dance. Always loved the sound of the sound of the occasional pick of a bass string enhancing a funky drum beat.

I bought a Yamaha RBX774 off eBay and never looked back. Mind you, my girlfriend isn't always pleased when we are walking around the shops together and she can tell I just want to hurry and go home to play bass.

The band I'm auditioning for next week rehearses twice a week, 30 miles away from where I live - I'm not sure if I can bear the cost of that, especially if I stay in my current band... but it's the most fun I could imagine having, so that's what I'd rather spend my money on!
[quote name='Perry' post='118789' date='Jan 11 2008, 07:03 PM']Mind you, my girlfriend isn't always pleased when we are walking around the shops together and she can tell I just want to hurry and go home to play bass.[/quote]
Sounds like you're not going to the right shops :)

Been playing bass on/off since about 1982. I went straight to bass (ie, I'm not a reformed guitarist who learned the error of his ways!) because from the moment I discovered the sound a solo bass guitar made (might have been on Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells") I really wanted to play this instrument. Besides, I had a cousin who played guitar and he always seemed to be breaking strings and learning chords - both of which were way too much hassle.

I dabbled with a band back in the 80's but only got into another band in November 07, having only picked up my bass again a couple of years ago, after a break of maybe 15 years.

Whilst I have to say that being in a band has done wonders for my playing, it's not the only thing I enjoy about playing bass. Even without a band, it's still a challenge and a means of relaxation. Referring back to the original post, I'm also in a fairly stressful job, about 30 miles from home, so bass playing has become a great escape from this. I guess I'm lucky too that the band I'm in only rehearses 1 night a week and as we all have day jobs and families, if/when the gigs start, we've agreed to keep it to 1-2 per month maximum.

I first came to appreciate the bass guitar when i was in my early 20's, and i joined a three piece instrumental band as a singer/guitarist. Our bass player at the time wrote all of the melodies and we basically structured the rest of the songs around him. I really admired his ability and couldn't wait for band practice, just so that i could have a go of his musicman. Needless to say, i learnt all of his bass lines and i can still play them today 12 years on. Well anyway, the band didn't get anywhere, and i left to go to uni and that was that.

Fast forward to 2005. I'd just bought a house and the gas fire in the living room needed looking at, so i called a local gas engineer and he came to my house to take a look at my dodgy gas fire. Got chatting to him and he noticed that i had an accoustic guitar in the corner of my living room. He asked if i could play the bass as his band were looking for a bass player. I said i was more of a guitarist but i could probably play a bit. Well, that was that. Learnt a couple of songs from their set list and went and had a jam with them. That was two years ago and i'm still playing with them now.

If the band split, i'd probably pack it in, as the reasons i play are to be with my mates and to try and make people have a good time on the dance floor.

Thats my story so far.

been playing bassn for about 7-8 months now and i am currently sort of in a band at school but we only play in school occasions and have just recently found a singer after my failed attempts to play and sing after no set up time or nothing no practice with the mic it was dreadfull.

but i mostly play bass to just chill out after a long day at school i go back to house turn it up and play through an hours worth of material that i know just to unwind honestly i aint popular with the opther guys in the boarding house but there are 3 other bassits at school asnd thankgod i live next to one some one actually appreciates ma playing......... lol

peace out........

If I'd answered last week I'd have had to say that "No I'm not in a band", and that I was finding it incredibly frustrating.

This week, I can happily say that the old band has got back together, and that I'm very happy about it!

My new years resolution was to start or join a band as soon as possible, and lo and behold, last Friday night we were all up the pub at the same time (first time since the last gig) and it seemed that we were all missing it - even the singer, who was the main reason for it stopping in the first place!.

We had a practise on Saturday night and it all just slotted back together. Brilliant!! We're not aiming for anything big, perhaps just 3 or 4 local gigs in a year, and a regular once a week practise, but it gives you something to aim for.

Our last gig was back in June, and I've got to say that practising and playing on my own, without any particular target was just not the same. I'd be playing along thinking (occassionally) "oooh , that sounded good", but then I'd think "what's the effing point?".

Clive.