Why become a member? ×

Bassix EUB

Rickylee

Hi,

Would like to learn to play and gig with a double bass. Have owned an acoustic briefly in the past but.....it was not a very good one. An Acoustic would be great, but, the size and transportation could be a problem. I have been investigating the EUB on these forums but, not sure which is the best way to proceed.

I love the sound of a decent acoustic bass but, would like the conveinence of the EUB. The Bassix ones have got my attention more than any other EUB I have looked into. Heard some sound files here at Basschat and would love to hear more and opinions from anyone who owns one. The newtech ultralight looks like my best bet budget and transportation wise. I relize I would never get that perfect acoustic sound from EUB but, the Bassix ones that I have heard would be the next best thing......I think :)

So, any opinions or advice will be great

Thanks

Ricky

Two nice Aria SWB's up for sale in this very forum at exceptional prices! One down by Brighton, one in London :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111099"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111099[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110262"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=110262[/url]

[quote name='Rickylee' post='1040863' date='Nov 29 2010, 09:59 AM']Thanks for that link Tom.

I will keep an eye on that auction, although, I still have not really had any response/opinions from anyone regarding the Bassix basses, so, still undecided at this stage.

Ricky[/quote]

I've been in touch with Alan on a number of occasions about his basses. He's actually producing a carbon fibre double bass with a removable neck for a very reasonable price. Just haven't been able to get down there to try one out. There was a bassix bass making the rounds here with good feedback regarding it's tone and playability. Alan's basses get good reviews from the research I've done, as good as any EUB and way better than the cheapo ones. The others that have seemed interesting where the Bespoke basses which are supposed to sound rather nice. slobluesineon here has one so maybe he can chime in.

I don't have much experience with EUB's so can't comment too much. Best to find one to try. Where are you located? Alan seems very approachable and I believe you can arrange to visit the shop to try what he has in stock.

Edited by TPJ

Hi - I have a Bassix "Jazza" in good condition. Blonde wood effect, downsized body, two band eq and volume. Very nice to play, set up for jazz. Not quite so suitable for arco. Not sure if I want to sell really but what sort of deal would you be interested in doing if you were interested?

Regards

Mike

Hi Tom/guys/gals,

From what I have read, Alan does have a very good reputation, which is probably well earned.

[quote name='TPJ' date='Nov 29 2010, 05:58 PM' post='1041443']
He's actually producing a carbon fibre double bass with a removable neck for a very reasonable price.

Is that the acoustic travel bass? A bit outside my (less reasonable) budget @ £2495. Would love to hear it and get an opinion from an ADB musician regarding it's sound and playability. I am an electric bass player who wants to move into the acoustic bass field, but, I know I would have quite a learning curve to go through when I do get an upright bass, acoustic or electric. I can judge the sound when I hear it, but, technique has a lot to do with the end sound from ANY Bass. Getting an EDB with the acoustic bass obstacles (framework/supports) seems a safer way to progress if you do intend to progress to a real acoustic double bass.
I think the "New tech" range basses he makes may be nearer my budget. Looks like a DB neck with a skeleton frame to aproximate a real ADB. That is the model I would like to hear opinions on and for me to try (don't want much I know :) ) I live in Berkshire, so, Kent is certainly feasable for a visit to Alan's shop.

I quite like the sound of the Bespoke basses. Maybe still a little closer to an upright fretless than ADB as it does seem to sustain notes, but, a lot of that may be down to the players technique. Not sure on the look though (no offense intended).

IMHO I don't think an EUB can substitute for an ADB yet totally. Some are much closer than others. Just have to decide on the sound and portability over a real ADB. Meaning, compromise sound for portability.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ricky

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid I would prefer the 3/4 size EUB to make it easier to progress to a real ADB in time. Regarding deals....I have a 73 sunburst jazz to possibily sell or swap or whatever, should a tempting situation come up.

Thanks

Ricky

[quote name='Mike' post='1041699' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:02 PM']Hi - I have a Bassix "Jazza" in good condition. Blonde wood effect, downsized body, two band eq and volume. Very nice to play, set up for jazz. Not quite so suitable for arco. Not sure if I want to sell really but what sort of deal would you be interested in doing if you were interested?

Regards

Mike[/quote]

Not to derail this thread, but if your goal is to progress to the acoustic double bass you might be best served just going for it right away, and study with a teacher. In order to play the EUB you will still double bass technique, or you will get into bad habits which will take much work to unlearn later on. While it is a cool instrument in its own right, I don't think it is a 'stepping stone' to the DB.

[quote name='Rickylee' post='1042154' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:39 AM']Hi Mike,

I'm afraid I would prefer the 3/4 size EUB to make it easier to progress to a real ADB in time. Regarding deals....I have a 73 sunburst jazz to possibily sell or swap or whatever, should a tempting situation come up.

Thanks

Ricky[/quote]

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='1046111' date='Dec 3 2010, 10:48 AM']Not to derail this thread, but if your goal is to progress to the acoustic double bass you might be best served just going for it right away, and study with a teacher. In order to play the EUB you will still double bass technique, or you will get into bad habits which will take much work to unlearn later on. While it is a cool instrument in its own right, I don't think it is a 'stepping stone' to the DB.[/quote]

I disagree.... They are good instruments in their own right and some on the market are like acoustics to play in the first instance. The difference can be in sound reproduction obviously depending upon the context they are being played in. I think each to their own as there are advantages to be had by both aoustic and EUB.
However i do agree with the need for good tuition to get started on either.

Edited by supabock

I have very little experience playing an ADB and have never tried any EUB at all (shame on me) but, I do know how to judge the sound. I have spent over 30 years on the electric bass which I still love but, want to play/learn a DB that can get me closer to the ADB sound I hear in my head. A real ADB would be great, but not so easy to transport. A good EUB may be a compromise, but, one I may be willing to make if the sound is a good representation of an ADB.

A reasonable ADB may be the way to go for me, but the entry leval price (my budget = aprox £1000-1400) for one of those could possibly buy me a good quality sounding EUB.

Regarding learning the techniques needed to achieve a reasonable sound and standard of playing, I have my Rufus Reid book handy (the claw :)....and may go see a DB teacher in the future. I am aware there will be a long learning period, I actually look forward to it. All academic at the moment, as I have still not made a decision as to which way to go....acoustic or electric.

Thanks for your input guys........still on the fence :)

Ricky

Try and borrow both an EUB and a DB for a while before you choose which to buy. In this situation, there's no rights or wrongs, better or worse, merely preferences. My Yamaha SLB-100 is far from a pure DB, but is way closer than any EUB I've played in terms of both tone and feel. Others disagree. My DBs can at times sound quite average if badly mic'd or EQ'd. It's not just the acoustics of the instrument that provides tone, but every link in the chain from your brain through to the listeners' ears. The best DB can sound like an electric bass if badly amplified and EQ'd, whilst a relatively cheap EUB can sound surprisingly good when well played, well equipped (strings/preamp), well set up, and well amplified.

Good luck

Chris

I would agree with everything Chris said above. In an interview I saw on the net recently I heard Danny Thomson relating a story of when he was trying a DB in a store. Another punter in there at the time just stared at him intently. This guy simply said to Thomson "you can always tell when someone has learnt double bass without amplification". Danny Thomson is well known for the quality and size of tone he produces.

Edited by BassBus

You might have misunderstood my intent. I was not trying to say that EUBs are not serious instruments. I have an EUB, I like it and gig with it a lot. Even though it is a stick-type bass it lends itself to the use of 'proper' DB technique very well.

But if RickyLee's goal is to eventually end up with an acoustic, I still think it is best to go there directly. You will want one in about six months, trust me! £1000-£1400 buys you a decent double bass in the current market if you keep your eyes open. And as far as transport and inconvenience goes, all of that stuff is secondary to the sound....

Also, remember that an EUB also needs specific types of amplification to make it shine, and that too pushes up the price. In any case, welcome to a very rewarding journey :)

[quote name='supabock' post='1046200']I disagree.... They are good instruments in their own right and some on the market are like acoustics to play in the first instance. The difference can be in sound reproduction obviously depending upon the context they are being played in. I think each to their own as there are advantages to be had by both aoustic and EUB.
However i do agree with the need for good tuition to get started on either.[/quote]

A lot of good advice and feedback, thanks chaps.

Buying an EUB first would really be my best logical choice, as long as I could live with the sound I can make with it and it represented the physical elements of the acoustic too + to be able to practice with headphones on would save others grief also, while I develope my chops, etc, lol. I may go to Bassix and try out the one I have been interested in and from that, I may be able to make my choice.

I agree that in time, I may want an ADB. It might be wishfull thinking asking so much from an EUB to simulate all the aspects of an ADB. This is where you guys chime in and tell me that nothing can simulate the real thing physically. That is probably more important than the sound during the learning stage if I wish to progress to an AUB. Sorry for thinking on line :)

Equipment wise, either way, acoustic or electric, I will have to spend money in that direction too. Probably have to wait until the new year now, as Christmas is upon us once more..........bah humbug!!!!

Cheers

Ricky

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mike' post='1041699' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:02 PM']Hi - I have a Bassix "Jazza" in good condition. Blonde wood effect, downsized body, two band eq and volume. Very nice to play, set up for jazz. Not quite so suitable for arco. Not sure if I want to sell really but what sort of deal would you be interested in doing if you were interested?

Regards

Mike[/quote]

Mike, sorry to "cut in" on this thread, but are you interested in a sale? If so, could you drop me a Pm please?

Cheers,
John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1073234' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:38 PM']Mike, sorry to "cut in" on this thread, but are you interested in a sale? If so, could you drop me a Pm please?

Cheers,
John[/quote]

Hey John
You'll have to get behind me in the queue im afraid oldslapper

Steve

[quote name='supabock' post='1073890' date='Dec 31 2010, 05:58 PM']Hey John
You'll have to get behind me in the queue im afraid oldslapper

Steve[/quote]

Haha Steve, I think you maybe ok mate.
Got an eye on something direct from Alan now. His basses are great IMHO
Happy new year dude.

John