Why become a member? ×

Consensus on Tuning

Tet

Hi all,

Been debating with a couple of mates, and we can't find a general consensus, so I'm going to ask anyone with a minute or so to tell me:

[b]Where do you prefer your tuning/tuner pedal/device to be, in your effects chain?[/b]

Front, or back? Or maybe even stuck in the middle... Anyone?

:)

I'm a bit old-school myself: I have a top E tuning-fork about me person: I just hit something with it then hold against the instrument's body for resonance, then bring up the guitar neck against my ear, feeling the interference beats as I press the tuning-fork base against it. Honest...and it even works live as long as the gig's not too loud!

I have it first, but i've been thinking about i lately that it'd actually make more sense last. Surely you want to be tuning at the last possible stage before it goes to the amp? As that's the signal you're actually hearing (or closest to it). Don't suppose the attenuation from pedals makes much pitch difference, as long as they're good bypass. Just thinkin' out loud.

It's first, it's always first for me. I think you get used to where your tuner is in your chain and you just keep it there because it's a fundamental thing.

But of course I think first is best and that's why mine is first and here are my justifications:

1) I can tune the signal straight from my guitar.
2) I don't have to bypass other effects to tune my guitar.
3) I can tune after songs have finished while delays are still going apeshit.

If I could think of three reasons why it would be better to have my tuner last then maybe I would change it.

I tune with a separate tuner prior to playing (usually with Guitar toolkit or Polytune on the phone) & then if I need to tune during the gig I do it by ear (via harmonics if between songs).

Edit to say, if I was using a pedal it would probably go first or from a separate out. But if no fx are applied then I doubt it makes any odds.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1038527' date='Nov 27 2010, 07:25 AM']I have mine (Korg Pitchblack) last so I can mute any extra noise from distortion pedals (although my whole rig is really quiet, even in a poorly earthed rehearsal space). If I were to get delays like the post above, I might consider moving it.[/quote]

Ditto: I have a Korg Pitchblack to & it also sits last in my effects chain. All my pedals are true bypass, so it gets a good signal & mutes all but one of my pedals if I need it to. (Bass Big Muff Pi sits between instrument & amp, whereas all my other pedals go via the effects loop).

Edited by Wilco

I have a tuner ontop of my amp which i use between sets usually, if i sound like im a tad out i'll either use the one built into my amp or have a quick check in one of our tuning breaks (3 different tunings means lots of onstage tuning, for the guitarists anyway, i just got lazy and got a 5 string) so mine isnt in my signal chain at all. Infact my signal chain just goes Bass - Amp usually, i love not being able to afford anything.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Bass -> Amp -> tuner out. :)

If I were using a pedal tuner and FX, it'd be bass -> tuner -> FX -> amp. Anything that has the possibility of changing the pitch of your bass (which is almost any effect, one way or another) could potentially make you knock your bass seriously out of tune if it's before the tuner. If your tuner's first on your pedal board, it's only hearing what you're actually playing.

[quote name='Tet' post='1038366' date='Nov 26 2010, 10:21 PM']Hi all,

Been debating with a couple of mates, and we can't find a general consensus, so I'm going to ask anyone with a minute or so to tell me:

[b]Where do you prefer your tuning/tuner pedal/device to be, in your effects chain?[/b]

Front, or back? Or maybe even stuck in the middle... Anyone?

:)[/quote]

Always tuner first.

Gave up using a plugin tuner when I discovered the ones you clip onto the headstock. I tune before even plugging in. No more messing about muting.

I never need to retune during a gig (good old yammy :)), but if I want to check and can't be bothered clipping the tuner back on, I use harmonics.

Edited by fatback