Why become a member? ×

Setup in Bristol? Or should I just wait till I get back to London?

Can anyone recommend a good affordable place for a set up in Bristol? I don't have a car so needs to be in walking distance (I live where all the university buildings are)? The action is a bit high and my attempts to lower it have resulted in buzz, I don't know if I need the frets sorted out, or maybe the nut. The intonation has drifted a bit too.

My other options are give it to my teacher in London who doesn't do the greatest setups but won't charge me much or take it to somewhere like the Bass Gallery where I could pay a lot of money for a very good job.

Olie

Edited by krazy_olie

Just thought of someone else round St Micheals Hill way. He's probably not cheap but apparently very very good. Johnny Kinkade. Not 100% sure he does bass set ups (he builds acoustic guitars and basses usually) but he is apparently amazing. 0117 9243279   

Just found the Tom's site and they say £45 for a full setup including fret leveling/polishing which sounds very reasonable. Last time I went they gave me a 10% student discount so hopefully I'll be able to get that again.

I'll pop in after my exams are done and report back.

Yes I have had Johhny Kincade set up my bass/basses a couple of times he is not the cheapest (usually about £60) for set up fret clean stone wash etc but he is fantastic - a real craftsman- he will deal with anything guitar/bass related except electrics. well worth a try imho

• 2 weeks later...

The bass has now had work done to the frets and is playing the best it has ever done. I might have got a slightly better job done somewhere else but this was reasonably cheap and been able to just pop round was more than useful. The initial setup took 5 days I think but they did the fret work in a day.
I had the basic setup done and "upgraded" to the full setup after deciding that although the frets weren't in a horrible condition it was probably worth it getting it done, and it as as the action is probably as low as it will get.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a bit late for reply, but I take my basses to Frank Aust in St. George (960 3589) for anything that needs doing. Nice bloke, reasonable price & a [b]top job[/b].
No waiting for ages , makes an excellent cup of tea...

Forgot to say, he also does Hugh Cornwall's lovely black tele - which is good enough for me....

Edited by nick