Why become a member? ×

Tal Wilkenfeld video.

Danny

I was originally going to post this in the other thread but it got closed. I didn't really want to start a new one but after consideration I though that if I can't post it on the general discussion section of a bass forum where can I post it? Hope thats OK.

Anyway I bookmarked this video as it was different to any I had seen on youtube. It's Australian TV, there's a very brief interview and then she plays with a band but the camera focuses on her playing.

It's about 5 minutes long, there may be a short advert before it plays.

[url="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&fg=rss&vid=5b66095f-67a9-4f9e-b08e-aa321ae8d250&from=imbot_en-au"]Video[/url]

I must admit, one of the first clips I saw of Tal was a jam she had with Marcus Miller on the EBS stand at ?NAMM on Youtube and I really wasn't that impressed, but the more I hear her the more I'm changing my mind. It is SOOOOO refreshing to have someone entering the bass led jazz scene that doesn't feel the need to slap every single line (a slight overexaggeration I know, but...). Smooth and tasteful. Love it!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='119043' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:00 AM']Here's the video of her playing with Jeff Beck at the Crossroads festival. It has the Stevie Wonder tune that's been around a bit on Talk Bass etc, but also Big Block.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA[/url][/quote]
Cheers - that was good.. What's that bass she's using - is it a Sadowsky?

[quote name='Danny' post='118928' date='Jan 12 2008, 12:08 AM']I was originally going to post this in the other thread but it got closed. I didn't really want to start a new one but after consideration I though that if I can't post it on the general discussion section of a bass forum where can I post it? Hope thats OK.

Anyway I bookmarked this video as it was different to any I had seen on youtube. It's Australian TV, there's a very brief interview and then she plays with a band but the camera focuses on her playing.

It's about 5 minutes long, there may be a short advert before it plays.

[url="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&fg=rss&vid=5b66095f-67a9-4f9e-b08e-aa321ae8d250&from=imbot_en-au"]Video[/url][/quote]

Great vid, thanks for posting!

That Sadowsky sounds sweet. Although my Jazz is identical, nearly, I'm finding that my hands have a tendency to fall off whenever I attempt to play like her up at the dusty end :)

[quote name='Rumble' post='119084' date='Jan 12 2008, 12:18 PM']Identical in looks and/or sound?[/quote]

In that its a Jazz bass :) I can nearly nail that tone, however! Even on my Status, though, which would run rings around any Sadowsky playability wise, I'm still having issues!

[quote name='Wil' post='119085' date='Jan 12 2008, 12:21 PM']In that its a Jazz bass :) which would run rings around any Sadowsky playability wise,[/quote]

I have never played a Status but isn't that a bit of a bold statement to make? Maybe they are that good?

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='119103' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:03 PM']I have never played a Status but isn't that a bit of a bold statement to make? Maybe they are that good?

Steve[/quote]

Once you've played a Status, you'll wonder how any bass could possibly be easier to play :)

This is a bit OT anyway, because I must be honest, I've never played a Sadowsky, I'm just very pleased with what I've got :huh:

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='119106' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:06 PM']Once you've played a Status, you'll wonder how any bass could possibly be easier to play :)

This is a bit OT anyway, because I must be honest, I've never played a Sadowsky, I'm just very pleased with what I've got :huh:[/quote]

Fair Enough, each to their own :-)

Hopefully there will be another bass bash soon and we can compare!!

Steve

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='dlloyd' post='119194' date='Jan 12 2008, 05:13 PM']I hope the "Wow! a chick who plays bass!" mentality gives way soon. She's one of the best out there.[/quote]

That mentality is probably doubling her album sales and exposure. I'm sure she's not complaining too much.

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='119056' date='Jan 12 2008, 11:30 AM']She has skill but uses it for evil. Like Darth Vader.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='119197' date='Jan 12 2008, 05:20 PM']That mentality is probably doubling her album sales and exposure. I'm sure she's not complaining too much.[/quote]

That's actually a fair point.

Saying that, it's Jazz; it's not mainstream music (well, it's not as such, I don't see much jazz in the r'n'b, dance, pop and rap dominated charts) where image counts, so it's probably just a small bonus, she is a talented player after all.

And bass is bass, male or female player, just listening to it isn't going to tell your if they're male or female, unlike vocals.

Edited by Buzz

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='Buzz' post='119210' date='Jan 12 2008, 05:41 PM']That's actually a fair point.

Saying that, it's Jazz; it's not mainstream music (well, it's not as such, I don't see much jazz in the r'n'b, dance, pop and rap dominated charts) where image counts, so it's probably just a small bonus, she is a talented player after all.[/quote]

I agree, image is probably less important than for a more mainstream genre, but it definitely increases her marketability. Also improves her chance of being a "cross-over" as well I think.

Lets face it, we've had 2 very active threads on here already about her. Would there have been the interest if she was a new male artist? Would we have even heard of her?

People should probably consider this before posting all this "its irrelevant that she's a woman" rubbish. We can all be "right-on" if we want to be.

And this is not a criticism of her playing (she's clearly very talented and deserves her success on merit), just an observation.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='dlloyd' post='119237' date='Jan 12 2008, 06:42 PM']She has, in the past, said that she hates it.[/quote]

Without doubt she feels that way about it sometimes. Anyone would. Just look at the original vid and the patronising questions the interviewer asks re: a woman playing a bass.

But...

If she's objective about it, its a reasonably small sacrifice to make for success. I think her being female certainly helps to broaden her appeal.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='dlloyd' post='119249' date='Jan 12 2008, 07:17 PM']If success is measured by money, perhaps... maybe she should go the whole hog and go out in a mini skirt and stilletos?

I think she'd rather be measured by her playing than by the novelty of a female bassist playing jazz.[/quote]

Thats not my point.

She's plenty good enough to make a name for herself on ability alone.

However...

The world and music industry being what it is, there are plenty of amazing musicians still playing in their bedrooms. In order to get the neccesary interest and investment from the music industry, it without doubt helps that she's female and (some would say) attractive.

Thats not to say she can't be credible and remembered for her music. But in order to get that initial push, her gender certainly makes her a "novelty" in the eyes of the music industry (and society as a whole to some degree).

also +1 to the mini skirt and stilletos.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='dlloyd' post='119274' date='Jan 12 2008, 08:04 PM']I take it you mean the Oxford Union?[/quote]

Nah, with my BTEC in Hair and Beauty they wouldn't let me in there, so I started my own Online University.

I can make you a Doctor for £20.

I'm also an Ordained Minister.