Why become a member? ×

Wizard Pickups

niceguyhomer

Sorry, but I need to get a reverse-rant off my chest....

I instructed Marge to buy me a Wizard Thumper for my P Bass for Christmas and I fitted it myself on Boxing day. My P Bass sounded absolutely fantastic and I was really chuffed. I'd had to trim the pickguard a little to fit the pups but hadn't trimmed quite enough to allow the pickups to spring up and down as easily as I'd like so I took it off and filed a bit more off.

I then decided to move the rubber thingy supporting one the pups as it wasn't quite central and the pup wasn't seated properly. To cut a long story short, like a complete arsewipe I ended up damaging the windings on one of the pups so I sent it back to Andy at Wizard explaining what I'd done to his lovely pickup and would he fix it and send me a bill for the repair.

It came back by return and he'd completely rewound the pup and even soldered new wires on. He charged me postage only which I thought was pretty astounding.

Unfortunately, there was a slight problem with one of the poles so I rang Andy and told him about it and he asked my to get my electrician friend to check it before sending it back, and I was going to do that this afternoon BUT...a brand new pickup arrived this morning with a note telling me to send the original one back.

My missus bought the pup 4 weeks ago and yet, Andy even remembered her name mentioning it on the note.

What a breath of fresh air - buy a replacement pup for your P or J for that matter anywhere else and you're mad. Wizards sound better than any pickup I've ever heard on a P, they're cheap and the service is just fantastic.

Reverse rant over - got some soldering to do.

I did the same thing on my wizard thumper - great sounding pup but they easily fall out of the surrounds. He offered to repair it if I sent it back but couldnt be arsed, so I have half a wizard and half an Encore pickup on my P... Still, the wizard side sounds great! :)

I had the same experience Homer, I ordered a Thumper and a great overwound J-PUP for my 73P which arrived the same day as I sent Andy the cheque! It really renews my faith in the more commercial side of life when you deal with a guy who is both an expert and a really decent bloke. When I contrast him with some of the complete idiots I've come across whose idea of customer service is - to use a real example - telling me in front of other customers that he wouldn't do any work on my bass because I bought it from ebay and that ebay is destroying the music business therefopre my using ebay is literally putting him out of business (despite the fact that the bass in question was an early 70's Precision and despite the fact I didn't see any early 70's Precisions amongst the Staggs and OLPs in his shop and despite the fact I was actually bringing him business), I have to admit I'd probably use Andy even if his PUPs weren't the best I've had (which they are) :)
I hope some of the above made some sense to someone :huh:
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='119126' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:14 PM']telling me in front of other customers that he wouldn't do any work on my bass because I bought it from ebay and that ebay is destroying the music business therefopre my using ebay is literally putting him out of business (despite the fact that the bass in question was an early 70's Precision and despite the fact I didn't see any early 70's Precisions amongst the Staggs and OLPs in his shop and despite the fact I was actually bringing him business),[/quote]

Sounds like a right twat!! :)

Does anyone know if Wizard do active jazz pups and preamps? Also cant find the website...does anyone have a link?

Oh! and does anyone have a shirt to go with this button?...... :huh:

[quote name='beerdragon' post='119139' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:35 PM']Here's a link [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/content.asp?cpage=About%20Us"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/content.asp?cpage=About%20Us[/url]

what kind of button?[/quote]

A small white one I found outside... :)

Thanks for the link...

Andy is tops. I bought some 5 string jazz pups from him and didn't quite like the sound. He wound them a bit more for me for free. I just had to pay postage, and all done in under a week start to finish.

Give him your business if you can. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Top bloke and very patient... he must have spent hours sorting me out my non-standard request and the bill came in (after I had the pups installed) at virtually the same as a standard pair of over-wound Jazzes. Andy even went to the trouble of looking up a link that I e-mailed him re. my Warwick active schematic, he then rang me back and talked me through what I had to solder where!