Useful software for bass players

53 replies to this topic

#31 urb

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'm a big fan of Logic for writing and arranging stuff but I've seen a full Pro Tools rig in action a few times and for tracking a band I think it's hard to beat - it's so fast for editing stuff it's awesome - the latest Logic does a lot of that and has an amazing amount of cool things like all the plugins it comes with and it's great for editing MIDI.

I also rate Garageband as possibly the best 'free' DAW... and I have seen Cubase rocking too, it just drove me nuts! And I'm still getting my head around the vast number of possibilities with Ableton and the fact I keep getting latency when I use it... even though I've worked through ways of getting rid of it - any tips gratefully received.

I just discovered this bit of 'slow down' / transcriptiomn software that works with iTunes:

http://supermegaultr.../products/Capo/

It's meant to be the best one out there - I've used the Amazing Slow Downer and it's OK but I didn't the way the audio gets glitchy when it's going really slow..

M

#32 Rosh

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

urb, on Dec 2 2010, 04:45 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Logic for writing and arranging stuff but I've seen a full Pro Tools rig in action a few times and for tracking a band I think it's hard to beat - it's so fast for editing stuff it's awesome

+10000 tbf.

It's pretty much the industry standard for a reason!

I use the LE package at home, but I regularly use the HD package with CONTROL24 and love it!

Warwick Profet 5.1 500w Head
Warwick WCA 411 Pro 4x10 cab
Fender 09 MIM Classic 50s Precision - Honey Blonde/Gold/Maple

Fender 07 MIM Reggie Hamilton Signature Jazz - Black/Black/Rosewood

#33 tarcher

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

On my iphone
TheiReal book+ the jazz pack.This plays the chords for you in whatever style and tempo you want eg Bossa Nova 100bpm Latin or whatever you want.
You get a backing of piano bass and drumsand you can adjust the levels of each to however you want it plus transposing if you wish.
If you go to the Realbook forum(just a touch on the bottom rh corner of the screen) you can easily access hundreds more tunes and playlists that contributor have put there for your delictation.These are all free by the way.

2.The Amazing Slow Downer App
Does what it says on the tin plus loops etc.

These apps are bloody amazing and they cost peanuts,well,a few quid actually but not very much.
Adept Curmudgeon

#34 theosd

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

For my android phone I've downloaded the 'gstrings' and 'mobile metronome' apps. Both excellent, but especially the former. Any other android apps people can recommend?
My Feedback

'84 Fernandes Limited Edition P/J
Early 70's Ibanez Fretless Precision

GK MB210
'72 Orange PA120

#35 Low End Bee

Knows three of the Members

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Brentford FC
    HP sauce
    Brothel Creepers
    Not being abducted by Aliens

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE, on Dec 1 2010, 08:20 PM, said:

Well,I've been a lazy sod when the band was goin'. I've been a bit apprehensive as well with the bits I have.
I have Logic(a keyboard friend of mine recommended it to me big time).
I also have pod farm and Ableton live/riffworks. which came with my Line 6 UX1
I still have Gearbox which came with my Toneport GX.
And Garageband on my Mac.

The reason (which looks good) I am apprehensive about Logic is the graph type stuff.
When I used to use cassette recorders peak meters were easy to understand.
It seems like you get an awful lot for your dosh.But with so much stuff, it makes stuff more complicated than need be imho.
I was wondering if it's worth going on a one day course for Logic.I have books ,but keep putting them off.

Now that I am bandless, I need to do something with this stuff.

Nice thread by the way :)

I use Garageband all the time as it's so easy. I'd love to learn how to use Logic too as it seems to do so much more. It's a bit overwhelming though and I need a physical, real person to teach me.
Posted ImagePosted Image EP4 out now > theJetsonics

#36 dood

Basschat Lifer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Just gotten Guitar Pro 6. A HUGE improvement over Guitar Pro 5. I highly recommend upgrading. You can download a demo of 6 to see it in action. http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

*** BassChat Terms and Conditions *** BassChat Rules and Guidelines in the MarketPlace forums *** Forum Behaviour Guidelines ***

*** My Facebook Musician Page CLICK 'LIKE'! *** Myspace.com/DoodOnBass*** YouTube.com/DoodOnBass *** LinkedIn.com *** Twitter @DoodOnBass***

I teach BASS and GUITAR - CLICK 'LIKE'! *** My Shuker 7 String Build Diary *** My Shuker 6 headless String Build Diary ***

* * * I write the bass section for the FREE to read Guitar Interactive Magazine - Video gear reviews, interviews and columns. * * *

* * * Artist Endorsements: Shuker Bass (I am a Shuker point of contact for advice) * * * D'Addario & Planet Waves Products * * * Hartke * * *
Dingwall Designer Guitars * * *

#37 RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Low End Bee, on Dec 15 2010, 05:16 PM, said:

I use Garageband all the time as it's so easy. I'd love to learn how to use Logic too as it seems to do so much more. It's a bit overwhelming though and I need a physical, real person to teach me.

I should use Garageband ,and now that I'm bandless I'll get my finger out. As for Logic,
I did see some one day courses advertised . One was in some guys house in Slough.
Fender'77 Telecaster bass, Washburn Status(made passive), steinberger xm2 custom,
Dean Taxi Bass(hollowbody),Vester custom shop fretless, 8 string,& 6 string by CH guitars,and of course my jd bass byC H guitars.
The cull has started; aiming to be totally headless;)

Boss me-8b, meb-50, Zoom b2 1u, GK micro combo

I'm losing my head. Looking for headless basses. Miss the '80s ;)

#38 BigBeatNut

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Delberthot, on Dec 1 2010, 02:53 PM, said:

I use Best Practice for this. Its free and appears to do everything your one does except from removing the low frequencies - you can change the pitch, tuning if what you are listening to isn;t quite to pitch without having to retune the bass to compensate, change the speed and loop. You just adjust any parameter you need to and it does it almost right away

Suprised no-one has mentioned 'Vox' (used to be 'Toolplayer') for the mac. It appears to be in the same ballpark as Best Practice and it's my go to rehearsal tool ... pitch changes (now calibrated in 10ths of a semitone ... good enough) tempo changes (plus a bunch of bizarre stuff you most likely wont need, but it's hidden and doesn't get in the way.

If you have MP3s that are miss-tagged, or you need to tag your recordings, MP3Tag (win only) and MusicBrainz Picard (mac/win) are a god-send.

Besides that, the ubiquitous cross-platform Audacity, also Cubase LE (mac and windows, free with Alesis audio interface ) and the software associated with my Bass Pod (which I used to gig, but it seems to now be home (rehearsal/recording) use only.

I'd really like to know of some drum software that accepts midi-in and has a good selection of built in patterns and kits. Preferably free of course. Tried Hydrogen, but the mac version was so flakey I gave up on it. (Mac is my main rehearsal recording tool)

Andy

#39 Mugz.wood

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

i use reason for midi sequencing.
cubase is faffy but good for recording and midi sequencing
pro tools is excellent for recording not so great for midi sequencing
logic is very good at alot and hardly any faff, and u can export tracks in seconds as apposed to pro tools and maybe cubase that makes u wait the entire duration of the track.
thats my take on the recording software that ive used so far

on another note i used the ear master 5 free trial the other day i only spent about an hour on it and i have actually noticed an improvement, 30 :)
www.myspace.com/rudeemouts

"When injustice becomes law-resistance becomes duty::When Freedom is outlawed- only the outlaws are free!!" Adam Kokesch and UK tech

#40 vsmith1

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Sea kayaking, MTB, cycling

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

On my iPhone I have:

Guitar Toolkit - mentioned previously
TabToolkit - can take Guitar Pro files and play back on the iPhone
PolyTune - neat - but the low B can confuse it
Pedersen Strobe Tuner - neat

Bass Rig models:
Amplitube - there are some bass amps and FX
Ampkit - a bass amp and some FX
PocketGK - GK amps and two cabs; can play backing tracks directly from the iPod app

I use the Peavey Ampkit Link as my interface into the iPhone.

I also use on my Mac:
GarageBand
iTunes
Guitar Pro
Neutrino - this can do key changes or tempo changes; uses the iTunes library
Line 6 PodFarm - some very neat Bass amps, and FX
Amplitube - I have a single Ampeg model which sounds great
Ableton Live - not used much recently

Interfaces:
Line 6 UX2
Presonus Firebox
Overwater by Tanglewood Aspiration Classic J Black
Yamaha BB425x Red
TC Electronic BH250
Barefaced Bass Midget
Ashdown ABM mini15
Line 6 Studio 110
Digitech BP80
Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter, Bass Multiwave Distortion Pro, Corona Chorus, Boss SYB-5, MXR M87 Bass Compressor

On Bass Duties for:

The Hoots

Reflections

For Sale:
Nothing at present

#41 paul_5

Is there any soup left?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • Interests:Gonzo electronics, apostasy and bass playing.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I'm a huge fan of ProTools, it's dead easy to get great results when recording. I also write a lot in Sibelius, which is nowhere near the cheapest software, but it mans that when I've finished writing a guitar line I can TAB it (I Know!) for the guitarists in the band, and print it out, so that they can lose it. It'll also convert scores to MIDI files, which means that they can be imported into your DAW of choice (with all the tempo, time signature and key(s)) to form a fairly detailed guide track for recording later on.

Not really bass specific though...
Feedback
SWR Hartke & little boxes full of Doctortweek's lovely bits.

#42 neepheid

0xDEADBEEF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts
  • Interests:bass playing, modding, repairing, geeking - computers - sport - music - soaking up useless facts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

Chord progression app for Android/iPhone: http://chordbot.com/

There's a free and paid version. I think the paid one has more comping styles and the automatic "random" generator.

The Inevitable Teaspoons ...band (give us a like!)

Feedback thread - please leave some if you buy from/trade with me...feedback

'07 Gibson Les Paul DC - '12 Epiphone Jack Casady - '12 Gibson NR Thunderbird - '14 Gibson EB ...this century

'75 Gibson Ripper - '79 Gibson RD Artist - '81 Gibson Victory Artist - '85 Yamaha BB450 - '86 Yamaha BB350F ...last century

Zoot ZB410 cab - RedSub BT5110 - Laney HCM30B ...amps

#43 Michael Currie

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

I bought Mixcraft 5 last month, love it! Great feature for slowing down tracks, without adjusting the pitch. If you've used Garageband, Logic etc, it's pretty similar, easy to get used to! Full feature 30-day free trial too!
"Let's take the bass for a walk."

My feedback - http://basschat.co.u...-michael-currie

#44 Mornats

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

BigBeatNut, on Mar 26 2011, 04:12 PM, said:

I'd really like to know of some drum software that accepts midi-in and has a good selection of built in patterns and kits. Preferably free of course. Tried Hydrogen, but the mac version was so flakey I gave up on it.

Andy, I use EZdrummer which is around 80 and is usually packaged as a bundle with an extra drum kit (check dv247.com). It comes with pop/rock drums (the default, sounds pretty decent) and a cocktail kit (not all that great). I got the one with the two funk drumkits. You get a good selection of midi loops with it and it can accept any other midi drum tracks. I got some from Groove Monkee for $20 - $30 a pack (but Google for some vouchers or sign up for their newsletter for discount codes, I think june20 is their latest, giving 20% off). They do a sample pack of free loops from all their ranges too: http://www.groovemon...om/en/free-midi.

The drums on my track here were done in EZdrummer: http://basschat.co.u...howtopic=134193.

I use it on a Mac within GarageBand and haven't had any problems. Just shout if you want to know more about it...

Here's a link to it on DV247. They have the funkmasters one plus Drumkit From Hell which is more suited to rock/metal: http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/ProductQua...ng/ezdrummer/1/

Paul
  • My main basses: SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB320, Squire VM Jazz
  • Other basses: Yamaha TRBX 504, Overwater Classic Jazz,
  • MarkBass CMD 121P with Ashdown VS112 extension cab
  • Must... let... go: Ashdown 220 Touring 1x12 Combo
My band - DeepRed - links coming soon.

My Soundcloud account: www.soundcloud.com/mornats.
My feedback thread: http://basschat.co.u...ck-for-mornats/
Send your old strings to: http://weneedstrings.com/

#45 Old_Ben

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I've been using reaper, Riff works (amazing for arranging song structures) but most recently downloaded a few apps for my andriod phone:
The guitar pro tabs app, which is about 1.99 and they have an upgrade to read guitar pro tabs for $4.99, dunno what that is in s
and for recording on the fly; Four Track Pro, litterally lets you record up to 4 tracks on the go when you may be in a rehesal room or at a mates house jamming and dont have anything else spare. This is free if you upgrade it has limited editing options and a metronome.
Jam Box- is pretty much a scale and chord library. in the free version it has guitar positions but if you upgrade it has 5&4 string bass positions. (not sure about 6).

#46 paul_5

Is there any soup left?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • Interests:Gonzo electronics, apostasy and bass playing.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Another bump for Reaper. I'm having a few issues regarding installing PT on my new mac, so I'm back on Reaper for now. I can usde my Pro Tools Hardware, so the AD conversion is still great, and does everything I need it to.

I don't have anything on my phone, as it's old and wretched. For everything else I use 'Basschat'. :)
Feedback
SWR Hartke & little boxes full of Doctortweek's lovely bits.

#47 Old_Ben

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

After coming and looking here i found an andriod app called audio speed changer, does what it says on the tin, for audio files fom your phone loaded and adjusted in seconds!

#48 JapanAxe

Smell my cheese, you mother!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

paul_5, on 28 April 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

I also write a lot in Sibelius, which is nowhere near the cheapest software, but it mans that when I've finished writing a guitar line I can TAB it (I Know!) for the guitarists in the band, and print it out, so that they can lose it.
I use Sibelius First. The cheapest way to get the genuine full version of First is to buy it bundled with M-Audio Keystation 32, then sell the titchy keyboard on eBay! You can print to pdf and email the results to your band mates. They will still play it wrong though...
Bass Guitars
Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Sandberg California VM4 (Germany 2012?) | G&L L1505 (USA 1997) | Fender Pawn Shop Mustang (Mexico 2013?)

Backline

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro | Genz Benz Streamliner 900 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 SV head

FOR SALE: Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Jr | MXR EVH90 Eddie Van Halen Phase 90 | DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus

Posted Image

#49 tom1946

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, I have a 24 year old MX5.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I bought this to play along with Christian stuff that I can only find on youtube:

http://www.pitch-switch.com/

I can adjust the pitch in semitones to what we play the song in. Does tempo too.
I'm a software numpty so I'm sure there's better and for nothing.
MY FEEDBACK

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t=0&start=0