Why become a member? ×

Whats the Best cheap recording set up?

Timface

I did this with my current band a while back, we were all students so we literally had more or less no money at all to put in...

I mean I think the best actual mixer you can get hold for very cheap is the Alesis Firewire multimix 8
And it comes with cubase LE which is cracking DAW to get you started recording!
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/alesis-multimix-8-firewire/69218"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/alesis...-firewire/69218[/url]

I know that seems like alot more than some of the usb mixers but you can multitrack out of the firewire stuff straight out of the box which is a godsend!

I'd then couple that with the cheapest pair of active studio monitors, I think that these are really important for mixing down as they're gonna give you a flat response, if you mix on regular speakers (even higher end ones) it almost always sounds strange when played back on a normal stereo (speaking from my own mistakes there..)

Again Alesis make a set for about £130, well worth it.

I'd try and scrounge all the mics I could rather than buying my own...

I mean if more than one of you sings chances are you have an SM58 or two knocking around, as far as guerrilla recording goes they're gold for like snares and they dont do a bad job on a bass drum if you fancy a punchy tight sound!

A decent large diaphragm condenser for vocals and whathaveyou is another good investment, the Rhode NT is excellent value for money there and you're basically getting a more or less professional grade mic and when placed far enough away it can double as not a bad drum overhead! Just watch it if your drummers really loud...

I think the key thing is utilising what you already own to its maximum advantage,

I.e which one you has the best computer then make that the one to record through and whatnot...

Scrounging is always useful!

And as for miking techniques and the like, google is a best friend when doing it all on the cheap!

I think with minimal expense you can get some cracking results, the key is just to experiment!

(and I think thomann has those mixing desks alot cheaper than that)

Edited by tylerlangan