Why become a member? ×

How tight? Is there a certain torque tightness?...

PJPofStHelens

[quote name='PJPofStHelens' date='Jan 12 2008, 10:50 PM' post='119331']
On replacing or restringing,I've noticed that sometimes my tuners are loose...I don't want to overtighten them and risk damaging the head. Or should they be a bit loose when the strings have been taken off? and no tension is applied?
I feel like it's a daft query,but I like things to be done right...

Edited by PJPofStHelens

I've found that on a lot of basses, the tuner post can rattle when not under tension and seem loose when in fact it isn't designed to be super tight. I don't think a specific torque setting would apply here, more a careful check that the screws holding the tuner on to the headstock are firm - they are only screws in wood after all.

If you mean the hexagonal nut that locks down over the post on the front of the headstock is loose, I would make sure that it is tight so that the tuner casing is held firmly in place. If the post rattles after that, then so be it, it should be ok.

[quote name='Muppet' post='119425' date='Jan 13 2008, 11:05 AM']I've found that on a lot of basses, the tuner post can rattle when not under tension and seem loose when in fact it isn't designed to be super tight. I don't think a specific torque setting would apply here, more a careful check that the screws holding the tuner on to the headstock are firm - they are only screws in wood after all.

If you mean the hexagonal nut that locks down over the post on the front of the headstock is loose, I would make sure that it is tight so that the tuner casing is held firmly in place. If the post rattles after that, then so be it, it should be ok.[/quote]
Thanks for the advice Muppet..although you don't sound like a muppet to me! :)
Yes,on removing the strings to give my bass a clean the hexagonal nuts that you describe are all loose making all four tuners loose...the screws holding the tuner on to the headstock all appear to be firm.
So what your saying is that they should all be tight...Is that finger and thumb tight or is it better to get them a bit tighter using an adjustable wrench or something? Thanks...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='119496' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:42 PM']I tighten mine gently with a cycle 'cone' spanner, perfect for the job if you have one handy. Just nip them up a little more than finger tight so they don't vibrate loose.[/quote]
Thanks "GreeneKing" I'll have a look in the old toolbox for one and maybe keep it in my Gig bag tool kit with the spare batteries and stuff.

If you have a deep enough socket so you dont mark the posts use it. They want to be snug, so finger tight an then 1/8 turn to nip them up or they will come undone again.

Not too tight or you will imprint the washers on the headstock wood, and not tight enough and the tuner post guide will put undue stress on the plate into which it is attached.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='119496' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:42 PM']I tighten mine gently with a cycle 'cone' spanner, perfect for the job if you have one handy. Just nip them up a little more than finger tight so they don't vibrate loose.[/quote]
They're also ideal for Schaller straplock nuts, too (although threadlock is a good idea if they come undone lots!)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='119518' date='Jan 13 2008, 02:29 PM']If you have a deep enough socket so you dont mark the posts use it. They want to be snug, so finger tight an then 1/8 turn to nip them up or they will come undone again.

Not too tight or you will imprint the washers on the headstock wood, and not tight enough and the tuner post guide will put undue stress on the plate into which it is attached.[/quote]
Thanks Guys,PJP.

[quote name='PJPofStHelens' post='119492' date='Jan 13 2008, 01:32 PM']...the screws holding the tuner on to the headstock all appear to be firm.[/quote]
Worth clarifying that the screws aren't to hold the tuner onto the headstock - that's the job of the hexagonal nuts you're asking about!

The screws actually lock the tuners in position, and stop them from spinning around under string tension - so it's vitally important to make sure they're secure too.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='121519' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:33 PM']Worth clarifying that the screws aren't to hold the tuner onto the headstock - that's the job of the hexagonal nuts you're asking about!

The screws actually lock the tuners in position, and stop them from spinning around under string tension - so it's vitally important to make sure they're secure too.

Jon.[/quote]
Thanks,Jon.Yes,I'd already worked it out myself about the screws...it was just about the tightness of the hexagonal nuts that I wanted to check on.Thanks anyway,PJP.