Why become a member? ×

Have you ever found the ONE?

Buzz

I ask because after reading through the Fender Custom Shop website about Andy Summers' Telecaster, it struck a chord (apologies for the pun), although I'm fairly happy with my current choices, I still feel there's something lacking, that certain desire to grab that one instrument over another.

I know I have the kind of opposite with my Aerodyne, which is why it'll probably get shifted on this summer, I dislike playing it currently, it's a nice bass in perfect working order but I don't know, I just can't gel with it so prefer my VMJ, but even that doesn't feel [i]right[/i], like it's the only one for me.

Thinking about it, it's probably the deeper meaning behind GAS, and I know we all suffer/suffered from it.

So I ask, has anyone found the [i]one[/i], the only one that is just pure heaven for them?

Fortunately, very nearly. And on my third effort (and my first 5 string)
A decade later, I've finally found some strings that really make it sing and allow a stupidly low action.

The instrument in question is a 1996 Vigier Passion 5 (Standard, Series III), now strung with my favoured DR FatBeams (45-125)

In fairness, I do have 12 other instruments to keep it company, and I'd not part with many of those, either.
That said, it's definitely the best player and the best all-rounder, too.

I started playing bass back in about 1982. In '84 went on holiday to the Isle of Wight and found a small music shop in Ryde. Therin I played on an Aria pro 2 SB 1000 or 900 or something Duranish - the memory has faded with time. The sound was so jaw droppingly gut shakingly beautiful it was very much akin to the love at first sight often put forward as a useful plot device by romantic novelists. I had not the money to buy the instrument, but on returning home, at he first opportunity I headed to Bristol and climbed St Michael's Hill, then home to two fine musical instrument emporia. I found and purchased a red Aria of a similar shape and style and whilst I loved it then and love it still it didn't have that sound.
I have, needless to say, been searching for the instrument that could give me what I want ever since. The Stingray came close and others have flattered to deceive but just lately I purchased a weather beaten old Westone Thunder 1A and by crikey my first thought was 'this could be [i]the one [/i] ' . It has that twang for which I have searched and it is from the right area in terms of both geography and era.
Of course if it was ever possible to have 'the one' there'd be an end to GAS and we know that ain't gonna happen.

Now you ask, yes I have! I was in Bass Center when it was in Docklands when my wife drew my attention to this fantastic 6 string. I played it loved it and had to have it but it was much too expensive and I could not afford it. I thought about it all week without being able to get it out of my mind, so thought I would make a silly offer, (1 thousand pounds less than the asking price) and they said yes!

Many years later I still have it, and still love it.

What is it?

A Modulus OB1 Oteil Burbridge signature 6 String, one of the actual two reviewed by Steve Lawson in Guitarist, I think Steve still has the other one, a fretless.

[attachment=4831:OB107.jpg][attachment=4830:OB1003.jpg][attachment=4832:OB101.jpg]

I had an early MIJ Jazz that was heavily modified and beaten to buggery which I stupidly sold during a mad moment. That bass was a part of me and I wish I could track it down and beg the guy to sell it back to me. Ive owned many nice basses over the years but somehow that one with all its dings and belt buckle marks and that worn thumb mark on the pickguard had to be the one.

I'd sell a kidney before I let go of my Warwick Thumb bolt-on. Haven't seen, heard, or played a better bass yet. My wife considers it to be a 3rd party in our relationship.

That doesn't stop me from aspiring to own a 6 string Thumb though (my playing ability stops me short, thankfully :) ).

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='119391' date='Jan 13 2008, 08:38 AM']Fortunately, very nearly. And on my third effort (and my first 5 string)
A decade later, I've finally found some strings that really make it sing and allow a stupidly low action.

The instrument in question is a 1996 Vigier Passion 5 (Standard, Series III), now strung with my favoured DR FatBeams (45-125)

In fairness, I do have 12 other instruments to keep it company, and I'd not part with many of those, either.
That said, it's definitely the best player and the best all-rounder, too.[/quote]

Good man!! Same here. Mine as you know is a 'custom' with maple wings (it can fly, too) and has become my #1 because it is very c=versatile and sits well between the more aggressive and plinky series 2 and the fretless series 3 which is the same 'standard' model as yours.

My 5 string is a 1991 model and in superb nick, but there are lots of signs of playing wear which I think are a good sign. I suppose 1991 was quite a while ago now! This is definitely 'The One'

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='119669' date='Jan 13 2008, 06:27 PM']i'll remember you said that :huh:

i found my 'One' 4 years ago. barely GAS'd for another bass since :)

for those who don't know what it is.... nah, i'm sure you all do... ;)[/quote]

Never hurts to see it again!

Twice so far. Twenty years ago, after playing it and falling straight in love with it, I traded in the Precision and B2 that I had at the time for the JD Thumb. I've never found another fretted 4-string as playable.

I bought another Thumb and had it defretted and the neck reprofiled to be the same as the JD. I don't count that as finding it because it was quite a change from the original, and when I had flatwounds on it I couldn't quite gel with it, but since fitting roundwounds it's been great.

The second "the ONE" was when I bought the 5-string fretted Antoniotsai. I've been trying to find a 5-string that I really got on with for a long time, probably about 15 years, but the trouble is that they've not come up to the playability of the Thumb, until I got this one. Rather lucky really given that it came from Viet Nam.

[quote name='tauzero' post='119866' date='Jan 13 2008, 11:27 PM']Twice so far. Twenty years ago, after playing it and falling straight in love with it, I traded in the Precision and B2 that I had at the time for the JD Thumb. I've never found another fretted 4-string as playable.

I bought another Thumb and had it defretted and the neck reprofiled to be the same as the JD. I don't count that as finding it because it was quite a change from the original, and when I had flatwounds on it I couldn't quite gel with it, but since fitting roundwounds it's been great.

The second "the ONE" was when I bought the 5-string fretted Antoniotsai. I've been trying to find a 5-string that I really got on with for a long time, probably about 15 years, but the trouble is that they've not come up to the playability of the Thumb, until I got this one. Rather lucky really given that it came from Viet Nam.[/quote]

Forgive my ignorance but what is a 'JD' Thumb?

[quote name='ped' post='119871' date='Jan 13 2008, 11:36 PM']Forgive my ignorance but what is a 'JD' Thumb?[/quote]
It was a version of the Thumb designed by bassist John Davis which had a shallower body and neck than standard, making it a bit lighter and much easier to play than the standard Thumb. Unfortunately the email I had from Warwick about it has gone in a hard disc crash - I have a vague feeling that the JD was the first Thumb, being a cut-down Streamer, but this may be bollocks. Ah, [url="http://warwickthumb.web-log.nl/"]it might not be bollocks[/url] after all.