Why become a member? ×

School boy errors during gigs

Dread Bass

[quote name='tauzero' post='120090' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:53 PM']Knocking things over reminds me:

Knocked the guitarist's 12-string acoustic Yamaha (which was in a guitar stand) flat on its face onto a concrete floor. Amazingly, there was absolutely no damage. When he did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks later, he decided that perhaps he ought to replace the incredibly precarious stand.[/quote]

Heh that reminds me of our guitarist carrying his strat in a really worn and torn gig bag, walking along the pavement and crash it falls out straight into the road. Amazingly not a bit of damage.

[quote name='Sean' post='120576' date='Jan 15 2008, 07:47 AM']Always do a last sweep of the venue for your gear before you leave[/quote]

Great advice. Don't leave it up to another band member to tell you "yeh, i've got all your gear" either. Everyone should know that everything they took into the venue has been taken out again. It sounds like common sense but.........

[quote name='cheddatom' post='120699' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:41 AM']Great advice. Don't leave it up to another band member to tell you "yeh, i've got all your gear" either. Everyone should know that everything they took into the venue has been taken out again. It sounds like common sense but.........[/quote]
That's why it is called the "Idiot Check"! Because you are one if you don't do it!!

I've managed most of the usuals at one time or another (forgetting strap, leads, batteries retuning after a dropped-D numebr etc) but my favourite was by my band's last guiatrist - the night before our first gig (and after weeks of rehearsal) he decided to find and learn new tabs for about half the covers in our set. GRRRRRRRR

band i used to be in... big set, headlining king tuts wah wah hut in glasgow.... start off playing and as a band we go mental dancing to all that electro-synth-pop stuff we did. Half way through my signal keeps dropping off. Look at sound guy who looks like he has no reason why, fiddle with lead into bass, no help. stand very still and its a lot better. Play the whole gig stood stock still as my band, the audience and everyone go pure mental. At the end reach down to the DI box i was plugged into (on the floor) to realise i had stood on the lead at the end while playing, the metal sleeve had sheared along with one of the solder joints giving me an intermittent open.

Playing in church band start an african style song, I start a very busy african style bass line, (lots of 3rds and 5th) the song is played for a very long time. After 10 min plus of playing this same very long bassline my hand hurts. We stop playing and the pastor starts praying. Everyones eyes are shut, i wave my hand around trying to get riid of the tension of playing the same thing for 10 min and manage to whip my e string hard, right on a harmonic so it gives out a big aatwaang..... oops

[quote name='Perry' post='119936' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:57 AM']A funny time for us is when the singer came in a bar too early.[/quote]

I don't think I've ever been in a bar too early.

Except perhaps once or twice. Once in particular, many years ago, I got so trolleyed before a gig I had no idea who I was never mind how to play the bass. Still did the gig though. I fell over at least once. I told jokes between songs. One of which was "If you don't f***ing start clapping, you can all f*** off.". I thought it was funny anyway. :)

I'm a reformed character though now. I never mix drinks or duck out for spliffs before gigs. :huh:

Hmmmm...... I know it's not at a gig but I forgot how one of our songs went halfway through it at practise this week.

Gig-wise...... never done anything ridiculous, but laughing at the lead guitarist laying on the hammy rockstar attitude onstage has made me miss notes and strings many times.

The lead guitarist however, has managed the following: Switched his tuner on mid-song and spent the rest of the song desperately trying to work out why his amp is broken; stepped on his lead (which he refuses to feed through his strap) and unplugged his guitar - numerous times; started playing a song while tuned almost an octave out (whyyyyyyyy was he an octave out mid-set? I may never know the answer to that one) among other things.

I enjoy gigs :)

Going back for an encore, song starting & me getting nothing. PANIC (always a bad idea when a cool head would help!) check the radios plugged in, then switched on (turning it off in the process) turn the radio on, check the leads again look at the Line6 floorboard and can see a patch, not the tuner lights on, check the leads & radio again and only then finally realise that I have stood on the volume pedal & turned it down.

DOH!!

A long, long time ago (in the middle of the "Troubles") I was playing in a Working Man's Club band. We did a gig in an Irish club in Neasden and at the end we said good night. The manager rushed up hissing... "Play the Anthem"... so we duly started... he came running back shouting this time, "Stop! Not that one you eejits!!" Not thinking, we had started "God Save The Queen"!!
To a man the audience stood and, unaccompanied, sang the Irish National Anthem. I packed up nervously looking over my shoulder that night.

[quote name='chris_b' post='122720' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:54 AM']A long, long time ago (in the middle of the "Troubles") I was playing in a Working Man's Club band. We did a gig in an Irish club in Neasden and at the end we said good night. The manager rushed up hissing... "Play the Anthem"... so we duly started... he came running back shouting this time, "Stop! Not that one you eejits!!" Not thinking, we had started "God Save The Queen"!!
To a man the audience stood and, unaccompanied, sang the Irish National Anthem. I packed up nervously looking over my shoulder that night.[/quote]

Now that is a good tale!

[quote name='chris_b' post='122720' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:54 AM']A long, long time ago (in the middle of the "Troubles") I was playing in a Working Man's Club band. We did a gig in an Irish club in Neasden and at the end we said good night. The manager rushed up hissing... "Play the Anthem"... so we duly started... he came running back shouting this time, "Stop! Not that one you eejits!!" Not thinking, we had started "God Save The Queen"!![/quote]
It could have been worse, you could have played "The Sash".