Why become a member? ×

Hello from Cambridge

nixonuk

I have been trying to learn Bass off and on for about 2 years. Not really got anywhere with it but am determined to turn over a new leaf and play!

Currently learning with the Fast track bass cd books.

I have had lessons in the past but found the teacher more into theory, he was bit of a purist. Whilst I am sure he would have given me a great grounding I was more interested in playing some bass lines I knew rather than the exam stuff.

Anyway here is hoping I pick up lots of info here. I use a guitarport with the PC but may move over to a practice amp very shortly.

Hi and welcome (from another basschat newbie)

I've also been learning again for the last few years despite having been playing on and off for years. I've also used books and had lessons, they've all helped. I've kind of broken it down into three areas - theory, technique and stamina. At any one time I'll find one of these areas is holding me back, and different approaches work for different problems.

Theory's useful as it can help you jam along to most music - it's worth knowing the main scales, especially where to find root 3rd 5th and 7ths. It's also important to have fun and get some satisfaction out of playing so you're perfectly right in wanting to dive in and play.

I like using books of grooves or transcriptions of pop / funk music. If you can read music there's a lot of transcriptions for vocal and piano that have bass clef - it's probably adapted but it'll help with picking up songs you want to play. I can't sight read so I go over them and annotate them - most pop music is repetitive so it doesn't take me long.

Best of luck with it - bass is such a rewarding instrument. I thoroughly recommend getting a practice amp, there are times when you really need to make some noise!

Joe

Thanks Joe - nice to hear others are in the same boat!

I have learnt some scales and dont mind that theory but I find I learn better by listening and watching. For example I am learning 'You really got me' by the Kinks right now. I am listening to it a lot so I can pretty much guess the note durations etc. I find it easier to learn this way.

Yes I think I need an amp as well, too many distractions with the PC!

If you're in Cambridge and are interested in more lessons, you might want to look up [url="http://www.tcbass.com/"]Tiago Coimbra[/url]; he's:
a. A good bloke
b. A fantastic bassist

While he certainly knows his stuff theory-wise, I'd be surprised if he was too heavy on teaching that side of things. (I play in a band with him, hence the recommendation.)

Cheers,
Si