Why become a member? ×

A couple of videos of me playing...

Cantdosleepy

[quote name='Machines' post='119922' date='Jan 14 2008, 07:45 AM']You want some advice ? That bath robe doesn't really go with the bass. I think you should go for something dark blue/black :).

Other than that yeah good playing.[/quote]
+1

Nice chunky sound to the bass too...

Thanks guys!

The robe is Ikea's finest, and is perfect for those short winter days.

[quote name='Perry' post='119931' date='Jan 14 2008, 08:40 AM']I really like the sound of your bass, what were the settings to get that sound?[/quote]

I've got both bridge and neck pickups on 100% nd the tone all the way up. From this I go into my bass PODxt Live, and straight from there to my mac with garageband.

The amp sim on the POD is Rock classic with the drive up at 12 o clock, into a simulated 8x10 with flat eq and no effects. Simply does it!

Nice videos, cheers. I hope we see more clips of everyone playing.

Bass sound is very nice, and it looks like you have the floating thumb style down really well - have you always used this technique or is it something you have been developing? As I have never used it I find it really difficult!

Cheers
ped

Thanks ped! You're a POD man too, if I remember correctly...

The floating thumb it's a recent addition to my arsenal. I've come from being a pick player to fingerstyle quite recently.

Here's a transitional video of me a year ago, anchored thumb and pick-like technique with the fingers!

An arrangement of Mogwai's Tracy:

can i just ask, what are the up sides to the floating thumb technique? i always use an anchored thumb as i find it much easier, and it seems a waste of effort movin that thumb around all of the time. where do you put your thimb when playing the e string?

I think some people just find it more comfortable because you are essentially moving your finger in the same way every time but moving the hand around instead. There was a thread about it here somewhere recently.

EDIT: here it is - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7772&hl=floating+thumb"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=floating+thumb[/url] - explains it much better than I did!

I like it for two reasons.

1) I can use my thumb to mute the low strings when I am not playing them.

2) My plucking technique with an anchored thumb is different for every string, as I have to stretch my hand out to reach the G. With a floating thumb, the plucking motion is the same on every string, which makes it sound a bot more even.

I've still not got it quite right, but I'm on the road!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='120080' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:44 PM']Thanks ped! You're a POD man too, if I remember correctly...

The floating thumb it's a recent addition to my arsenal. I've come from being a pick player to fingerstyle quite recently.

Here's a transitional video of me a year ago, anchored thumb and pick-like technique with the fingers!

An arrangement of Mogwai's Tracy:
[/quote]

wow that sounded loads like a recording i did ages ago with my bass! I'll have a look see if i can dig it up...

[url="http://industrialunittolet.co.uk/riffie.mp3"]here it is[/url]. Dunno. I thought so any way.

I used a real bass amp and a real mic btw :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

^yeah what i find quite weird is the fact that everybody seems to think the shure sm57 an amazing guitar mic but not really that good with bass. I find the opposite is true. I don't really think it's that good for guitar, it all sounds a bit mushy (maybe that's just my crappy recording technique) but on the bass it's pretty decent.

Love the sound of your bass and the first clip of your fingerstyle shows that you've really come on.

Re the floating thumb; I use both floating and fixed thumb (on the lowest string not on PUP) depending on what I'm playing. If it's something fast and dynamic I'll generally fix as this allows a faster transition between the strings especially if playing a descending run. If the song is slower and quieter I'll use the floating thumb to cut down on residual string vibration.