Why become a member? ×

Scrap upright

Been back at it today, after yesterday's day off for festive debauchery! Firstly, thank you to everyone for the kind words and help with this, I'm really enjoying journaling this on here.

Anyway, I started today by sanding back the filler on the broken f-hole. However, unfortunately the mix of veneers and grain filler didn't hold and hey presto...

A few choice words were said at this point. I felt quite stuck; like I was a bit out of my depth, and I couldn't think of how to fix this. So, I did the only thing I could... got rid of the problem all together... :lol:

hehe, it actually felt good after I put the jigsaw away and sanded the edges, like it wasn't hanging over my head anymore. :) I really like the new shape, and it also makes it a little more unique, hopefully it wont effect the tone in too much of an adverse way. Through the new hole I found out his birthplace...

And after a bit of shaking and reaching around in the body, I found the loose soundpost, and a very old cigarette. Smoke 'em if you got 'em :)

So, with the new larger hole, the soundpost wasn't too hard to knock back into place

And I tidied the edge of the new hole with a little filler, that I'll sand back tomorrow. Then the front should be ready for a coat of primer!

Next I did some work on the tuners - when I took them off, I noticed that the screw heads were really chewed up, so I bought some more. Unfortunately, I couldn't get brass, but nevermind. However the new screws have countersunk heads, so I had to countersink the holes on the tuners.

Then I retired inside for a nice cup of tea, and had a session with the Brasso and WD40, to try and breathe some new life into the metal parts of the bass before I reassembled them. Shiny!

Lastly, and possibly the most exciting news... I decided to stick with one coat of primer, as I'm really up against the clock on this project; I need to finish it before I go back up north! So, the first colour coat is on the back! I absolutely love the colour...

Cheers guys, unfortunately I have had to rush the finishing; I need to have it finished before I go back home, which I thought will be Sunday, but now I'm thinking it'd be a better idea to leave on Monday, to give it a bit more drying time!

It's not the greatest of finishes... obviously spray paint would have given a better result, but as I've never used spray cans before it'd probably be a lot worse. :) Really, it's just a functional, hard-wearing finish - haven't got a case/bag for it. As I said when I started the project, I wanted to fix this up for the least amount of money possible, and in all it's cost me about £60. It looks good from a distance though... :)

Anyway, today I've got the final coat of paint on

And here you can see the back of the neck, I'm quite pleased with how the masking came out - I was dreading taking the tape off, but it doesn't look too shabby

New years day will see the fingerboard being reattached!

• 1 month later...

Great job mate I picked up a Boosey and Hawkes Golden Strad a while back that had been thrown out by a school it looks quite similar but it's Czech. I had it set up by a luthier don't think I have your woodworking skills man but I also picked up a a Michael Poller bass for buttons and stripped the lacquer so I could have a blonde!

Good luck!

This the Golden Strad
[attachment=72014:Bass4.jpg]

This is the Poller after I stripped it and oiled it

[attachment=72015:front.jpg]

[quote name='steviedee' post='1125416' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:34 PM']This is the Poller after I stripped it and oiled it

[attachment=72015:front.jpg][/quote]
This looks absolutely gorgeous! *envious* :)

[quote name='7string' post='1126486' date='Feb 13 2011, 09:55 PM']I have nothing but admiration for the OP. :lol:

No way I would ever consider doing anything like this![/quote]
That's really very kind, but you haven't seen it yet... haha

[quote name='Zach' post='1127060' date='Feb 14 2011, 02:08 PM']judging by view count, your bass is now twice as popular as rugby :D hope the build's going well.[/quote]
Too much pressure! :) It'll be back up and running once it gets a little warmer and the paint is fully dry!

• 1 year later...

I'd completely forgotten about this thread! I did finish it, and it came out ok - not fantastic, but it played nicely and sounded quite nice! (Although I'm definitely not a connoisseur on the subject). I've since moved house and unfortunately don't have room for it, so it was passed on to another player.

[attachment=115037:IMG_20120504_124610.jpg]