Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Bass - Pup Problem ?

Adee

I've got a Fender USA series Precision Bass (the one with the useless S1 Switching)

The output from the D & G strings is considerably lower than the output from the E & A strings
I'm going to try lowering the pup under the E & A and raise the t'uther to try and even it out

I've had this bass a couple of years and not noticed this until I installed a Badass III bridge

So . .

Is there a way of checking if both halfs of the split pick-up are working correctly ?

Cheers for you help Ade

[quote name='Adee' post='120056' date='Jan 14 2008, 01:15 PM']I've got a Fender USA series Precision Bass (the one with the useless S1 Switching)

The output from the D & G strings is considerably lower than the output from the E & A strings
I'm going to try lowering the pup under the E & A and raise the t'uther to try and even it out

I've had this bass a couple of years and not noticed this until I installed a Badass III bridge

So . .

Is there a way of checking if both halfs of the split pick-up are working correctly ?

Cheers for you help Ade[/quote]

I think for that test you'll have to disconnect the pickups from the pots and each other and test the DC resistance of each one. Don't test the DC resistance without disconnecting them or you'll get a false reading.

Hamster

Make sure you have set up the BadAss correctly before doing anything else, then play around with the pick up height. You need to have the string height well set. With my Precision (also with S1), with a BadAss III, with 45-105 strings, my settings are

relief @ 7th fret

0.25mm

String height @ 17th fret

G 1.75mm
D 2.00mm
A 2.00mm
E 2.50mm

Pick up height from bottom of string

Neck pup E to polepiece 5.0mm
Neck pup D to polepiece 4.5mm

Bridge pup A to polepiece 4.5mm
Bridge pup G to polepiece 3.5mm

These settings give me a perfect action and balanced output. Hope that helps.

Swap the two halves round in their routs, see if the problem follows the pickup half or stays the same for the 2 strings. Then you know if its a bridge/strings/pickup/ inherent body resonance problem ;o)

Good luck!