Why become a member? ×

Peter Cook, Guitar Maker.

FlatEric

Hi. :)

Having been a long time fan of unusual instruments and custom builders,
I have alway been interested in the work of Peter Cook.
Peter made instruments for The Ox, worked on Pete Townsend's guitars,
Lemmy and Fast Eddie were also customers, with a whole host of other
players, around that time.

I am lucky enough to have two of Peter's instruments, a Firebird twin,
which is the opposite of the one that Del Bromham, from "Stray" had - his
was six at the top, mine is 12 at the top.
I also have an Axis bass, which is stunning - Nick, a fellow BC'er also had
one, some time ago.

I have, after some time, managed to meet Peter, have lunch and
coffee with him, whislt we meandered through the 60's, 70's and 80's.
A very intersting person to talk to. :)

I have started off a section in my blog and as soon as I can, I will
update it.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/"]Peter Cook[/url]

I know I have asked this question several times and had a few replies but
if anyone out there knows of a Peter Cook instrument, has one, seen one, played
one - please get in touch with me.

Cheers. :lol:

Edited by FlatEric

[quote name='gary mac' post='1053880' date='Dec 10 2010, 11:27 AM']Like the look of that twin neck, although I'm sure it would be shoulder saggingly heavy for a wimp like me.

Stray... there's a name I had forgotten. I went to see them a few times back when I was a youth. Are they still about?[/quote]

Definately!!

Went to see them last year and got the opportunity to meet Del Bromham,
who had the other Peter Cook Firebird Twin.

This is him, years ago.

[attachment=66098:Stray1.jpg]

At The Musician, last year.

[attachment=66099:Deltbirdtwin.jpg]

Band web site.

[url="http://www.stray-the-band.co.uk/gigs.htm"]STRAY[/url]

Well worth a look - Brilliant live band!!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4]Peter Cook - Part 1[/size]

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2010/12/peter-cook-guitar-builder-and-musician.html"]Peter Cook, Guitar Builder - His story.[/url]

Click on the above for the first part in a facinating story, told by Peter, himself.

This documents his early days in the music business, when he played as a pro musician,
long before he took a chisel to wood.

Cheers. :)

One of my all-time favourite basses is, I believe, a Peter Cook special - It was played by John Entwistle on occasions, notably in the 'Eyesight To The Blind' section of the Tommy film, and in The Who's appearance on the Whistle Test miming to 'Relay'. It's got a black hook-shaped body with what looks like Thunderbird guts, and the longest headstock you've ever seen. It's just the coolest looking bass ever.

Weirdly, for what I assume was a one-off, it also pops up in the 1973 film 'Horror Hospital', being played by a proto metal herbert. I'd love to know more about this bass.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1065235' date='Dec 20 2010, 10:32 PM']One of my all-time favourite basses is, I believe, a Peter Cook special - It was played by John Entwistle on occasions, notably in the 'Eyesight To The Blind' section of the Tommy film, and in The Who's appearance on the Whistle Test miming to 'Relay'. It's got a black hook-shaped body with what looks like Thunderbird guts, and the longest headstock you've ever seen. It's just the coolest looking bass ever.

Weirdly, for what I assume was a one-off, it also pops up in the 1973 film 'Horror Hospital', being played by a proto metal herbert. I'd love to know more about this bass.[/quote]

Hi.

I know the one you mean - I will try to find a decent image of it and ask him.

For those "Who" :) are interested. . . . part 2 of Peter's story is now up.

The end of working with July, expanding into guitar making, developing
the "Ned Callan" range and early work with John Entwistle on the
"FenderBirds" and ExplorerBirds.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/"]Peter Cook, Developing Ned Callan and work with The Ox[/url]

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1067746' date='Dec 23 2010, 01:13 PM'][url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/"]Peter Cook, Developing Ned Callan and work with The Ox[/url]

Cheers. :)[/quote]

Really interesting read that - many thanks. Really takes me back to my early days as a bass player, in the late 70's. There were so many really interesting instruments about then - the Guild's and Arias you've covered, but also the Ibanez's, Yamaha's, Kramers, Ovations, and a host of others I remember. We really were spoilt for choice in those days!

I tried one of Peter Cook's basses myself as a youngester, when I was employed to distribute leaflets for my local music shop at The Live Music Show in London, in about 1980/81. I'm not sure if he had a stand there or not but I seem to remember he had his own event going on at the same time at a hotel near by. I also remember trying a Wal at the same time, as well as the Washburn (could have been Westone) headless that was modelled on the Status bass at the time. All fabulous instruments. Happy memories - thanks for bringing them back!

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='1067782' date='Dec 23 2010, 01:50 PM']Really interesting read that - many thanks. Really takes me back to my early days as a bass player, in the late 70's. There were so many really interesting instruments about then - the Guild's and Arias you've covered, but also the Ibanez's, Yamaha's, Kramers, Ovations, and a host of others I remember. We really were spoilt for choice in those days!

I tried one of Peter Cook's basses myself as a youngester, when I was employed to distribute leaflets for my local music shop at The Live Music Show in London, in about 1980/81. I'm not sure if he had a stand there or not but I seem to remember he had his own event going on at the same time at a hotel near by. I also remember trying a Wal at the same time, as well as the Washburn (could have been Westone) headless that was modelled on the Status bass at the time. All fabulous instruments. Happy memories - thanks for bringing them back![/quote]

Hi. :)

Now you mention it - I have, I believe, some details of the show you went to.

Sit tight - should be in the next instalment.

Edited by FlatEric

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='1067782' date='Dec 23 2010, 08:50 AM']I tried one of Peter Cook's basses myself as a youngester, when I was employed to distribute leaflets for my local music shop at The Live Music Show in London, in about 1980/81. I'm not sure if he had a stand there or not but I seem to remember he had his own event going on at the same time at a hotel near by. I also remember trying a Wal at the same time, as well as the Washburn (could have been Westone) headless that was modelled on the Status bass at the time.[/quote]

If it was the Status-licensed Washburn 1000 then I would think your dates must be off. Would be a few years later than 80/81, no?

Peter Cook - Custom Guitar Builder.

Next part.
[url="http://&quot;%20<a%20href="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/&quot;"%20target="_blank">http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/&quot;</a>"]Peter Cook - Custom Builds[/url]

Be warned "Four Stringers" - there is Guitar and Twin Neck content,
so those of a nervous nature. . . . . . . Look away now!!! :) :lol: :D

Still looking for any owners/previous owners of a Peter Cook Bass or Guitar.
Anyone out there?? :)

Cheers. :P

I'd like to contribute that I'm probably going to gig with my all original Ned Callan on saturday. That's its first outing since spending a lot of time being brought back up to scratch.
If possible, I'll share some pics and soundclips after i'm done.

[quote name='razze06' post='1106464' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:12 PM']I'd like to contribute that I'm probably going to gig with my all original Ned Callan on saturday. That's its first outing since spending a lot of time being brought back up to scratch.
If possible, I'll share some pics and soundclips after i'm done.[/quote]

That would be really great! :)

I have tried to find other owners but with only around 50 customs made, as well as the
stuff he did for John, the only things made in any quantity were the Ned Callan Range
and its been tough trying to track any of them down.

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1106486' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:27 PM']That would be really great! :)

I have tried to find other owners but with only around 50 customs made, as well as the
stuff he did for John, the only things made in any quantity were the Ned Callan Range
and its been tough trying to track any of them down.

Cheers. :)[/quote]

As promised, [url="http://www.myspace.com/NotDeadYetEdinburgh"]three recording of my playing Ned at a gig at the Mayfair, Musselburgh.[/url]

Recording made with a zoom H1 positioned on top of a door on the side of the room. Definitely not the best place, but best we could manage.

I was playing Ned through an orange terror bass, driving a TC Electronics RS212. Volume could have been higher, but hey, there it is.

Apologies for the chitchat you hear at times, some folks just stood in front of the recorder...

Edited by razze06

[quote name='razze06' post='1106464' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:12 PM']I'd like to contribute that I'm probably going to gig with my all original Ned Callan on saturday. That's its first outing since spending a lot of time being brought back up to scratch.
If possible, I'll share some pics and soundclips after i'm done.[/quote]

Not quite as rock and roll as some others, but there...

[attachment=70723:Mayfair_...mall_014.jpg][attachment=70727:Mayfair_...0129_010.JPG]
[attachment=70726:Mayfair_...0129_003.JPG][attachment=70725:Mayfair_...0129_006.JPG]

Edited by razze06

[quote name='razze06' post='1112031' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:20 AM']Not quite as rock and roll as some others, but there...

[attachment=70723:Mayfair_...mall_014.jpg][attachment=70727:Mayfair_...0129_010.JPG]
[attachment=70726:Mayfair_...0129_003.JPG][attachment=70725:Mayfair_...0129_006.JPG][/quote]
thats a real cool cookie you have there. and in great shape by the looks of it (the bass, sorry :) )

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='razze06' post='1112031' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:20 AM']Not quite as rock and roll as some others, but there...[/quote]

Very Nice - I'll forward them to Peter.

Peter Cook, The Final Cut. . . . or is it? ? ? ?

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/"]Peter Cook - The Final Cut[/url]