Why become a member? ×

£200 Sound Control credit note

andy67

what do I do with it?

Last week I bought a Crown XS500 power amp to use with my two 4ohm b410hlf cabs - my trace/ampeg dont do 2ohms - with a view to using the pre amp out on my svt 3pro...when I hooked it all up it was utterly horrendous!

Crown have a good name and the net reviews where, to say the least, staggering leading me to believe that this was the right option for me!

[list]
[*]Crown XS 500 - list £699 Sound Control £199
[*]Ampeg 810e £749
[*]Ashdown abm810 £600
[/list]

So you can see why it was the right option gone badly wrong!

so help...what do I do? I need to spend the moeny!

[quote name='andy67' post='120789' date='Jan 15 2008, 01:53 PM']what do I do with it?

Last week I bought a Crown XS500 power amp to use with my two 4ohm b410hlf cabs - my trace/ampeg dont do 2ohms - with a view to using the pre amp out on my svt 3pro...when I hooked it all up it was utterly horrendous!

Crown have a good name and the net reviews where, to say the least, staggering leading me to believe that this was the right option for me!

[list]
[*]Crown XS 500 - list £699 Sound Control £199
[*]Ampeg 810e £749
[*]Ashdown abm810 £600
[/list]

So you can see why it was the right option gone badly wrong!

so help...what do I do? I need to spend the moeny![/quote]

I don't quite get it? What's so wrong with it?? - am I not reading this right? - Did it just not sound good? And why have you listed the Ampeg and Ashdown

[quote name='andy67' post='121016' date='Jan 15 2008, 06:12 PM']the amp sounded awful!

I was hoping to use my 2 b410hlf as a suedo 8x10 but didn't work!

so next buy will have to be a proper 8x10, hence ashdown or ampeg![/quote]

I don't understand why 2 Ampeg 4x10s sound sh*te. That should sound awesome and I would say if the problem is your amp then getting an 8x10 is not going to solve it.

Why don't you persevere with the 2 ampegs?

I'd like to stick up for the Crown !!!!

I've used an XS500 as a power amp behind a number of pre-amps (ampeg, line6, behringer etc) through a variety of cabs (mark bass, eden, marshall) and have absolutely no issues with it whatsoever, it's a pretty transparent amp so the real colour comes from the pre and the bass.

That said, I've not used it through 2 cabs at once - but imho for the power it supplies and price you can get it for it's a winner !

[quote name='mxm' post='121155' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:19 PM']I'd like to stick up for the Crown !!!!

I've used an XS500 as a power amp behind a number of pre-amps (ampeg, line6, behringer etc) through a variety of cabs (mark bass, eden, marshall) and have absolutely no issues with it whatsoever, it's a pretty transparent amp so the real colour comes from the pre and the bass.

That said, I've not used it through 2 cabs at once - but imho for the power it supplies and price you can get it for it's a winner ![/quote]

yep! thats why I bought it for its transparency...however it did not like my 2 b410hlf cabs at all!

I used the pre amp out section of my ampeg svt 3pro effectively making it an svp bsp, it just did not work, maybe I should've used a true preamp instead of the out on the svt? but hey ho I hated it instantly and returned it!!

Rumour6 has the same power amp running his 2x12 ebs neo cab and a 1x15...he loves it true hifi was his words!

now I really dont know what to do with the credit note?? maybe a crate bt220 combo at £249? or an ampeg ba115 combo at £269 - I dont know!

Edited by andy67

....this is just a thought, so don't bite my head off.

spend your £200 wisely, buy something that is gonna be more valuable on ebay....!!!???

Then save up or invest and buy a used SVT 2/CL head and do the 2 4x10s justice !!!

....I'll go back in my box ! :)

soundconrols sales bit....

[url="https://www.estagemanager.com/test/index.php"]https://www.estagemanager.com/test/index.php[/url]

theres a fender jazz deluxe 5 sting there there for £199.99, that doesnt sound bad!

although you are in edinburgh too, and they are both down south...

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='121214' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:41 PM']soundconrols sales bit....

[url="https://www.estagemanager.com/test/index.php"]https://www.estagemanager.com/test/index.php[/url]

theres a fender jazz deluxe 5 sting there there for £199.99, that doesnt sound bad!

although you are in edinburgh too, and they are both down south...[/quote]

That's not a bad price - 1/2 tempted myself!

Hamster

[quote name='mxm' post='121178' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:04 PM']....this is just a thought, so don't bite my head off.

spend your £200 wisely, buy something that is gonna be more valuable on ebay....!!!???

Then save up or invest and buy a used SVT 2/CL head and do the 2 4x10s justice !!!

....I'll go back in my box ! :)[/quote]

you are 100% in my groove!

yep seen that yesterday...I assume it mexican? but will give them a call to see if it can be stock transferred!

bids now sitting at £150...some anonymous bidder upped the stakes...hmm..looks like his id is andy67!!

maybe its time for a complete rethink on all gear...trade the svt 3pro etc...

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' post='121159' date='Jan 15 2008, 10:28 PM']I used the pre amp out section of my ampeg svt 3pro effectively making it an svp bsp, it just did not work, maybe I should've used a true preamp instead of the out on the svt? but hey ho I hated it instantly and returned it!![/quote]
So use the credit note to get a Bass POD Pro XT Live Board XT Pro thing and use that as the front end for your XS500. Ah. I can see a problem developing here...