Why become a member? ×

Advice on Sorting a Bass Out

faultyy

Hi, i've had an OLP MM3 for just over a year now and basically it's never been right since day one. The neck is quite horribly bowed, however when i straighten it I get fret buzz on the 2nd and 6th frets on all strings, the action is high but lowering it causes the same problem. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to try and sort it out myself? I've already tried adjusting the truss rod and action at the bridge. Or should I try taking it to a professional to set it up? Also how much should a set up cost?... Or I could try and sell it, although in the condition it's in I have no idea how much to ask

Edited by faultyy

Is the action still very high, even after you've taken the bow out of the neck with the truss rod?

If straightening out the neck has bought the action down then you may need to raise the action again.
Remember to leave some relief in neck, and definitely don't have the neck bending backwards.

Having said that, it sounds as if either your 2nd and 6th frets are very worn, or, more likely, your 3rd and 7th frets are high. Fret it at the 3rd fret and see what clearance there is between the string and the 4th fret. Then fret it it the 2nd fret and see what the clearance at the 3rd fret is. The two clearances should be about the same. Similarly for the 6th and 7th frets.

If you have got high frets, and as long as the slot is deep enough, then you might be able to tap them down with a hammer, BUT! using a bit of wood. Don't hammer on the frets directly.

Hope this helps with the diagnosis, if not the cure.

Clive.

[quote name='faultyy' post='120975' date='Jan 15 2008, 05:16 PM']Hi, i've had an OLP MM3 for just over a year now and basically it's never been right since day one. The neck is quite horribly bowed, however when i straighten it I get fret buzz on the 2nd and 6th frets on all strings, the action is high but lowering it causes the same problem. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to try and sort it out myself? I've already tried adjusting the truss rod and action at the bridge. Or should I try taking it to a professional to set it up? Also how much should a set up cost?... Or I could try and sell it, although in the condition it's in I have no idea how much to ask[/quote]

If you've got multiple problems, and you've already had a stab at fixing some, and you're not an experienced luthier, then STOP!!!

Bottom of a hole = Stop digging, right?

Take it to a local luthier, ask him how much he'll charge you for a set-up. If it's just tweaking, then it should be £25 or less. If there are genuine issues then maybe a bit more.

If you try to sell it in that state (assuming you're honest in your description) then the shortfall on the price you get will almost certainly be more than the cost of getting the bass sorted properly.

Good luck.

Yes, Happy Jack is right of course, it all depends on your aptitude and previous experience. Personally I don't believe that there's any secret magic to setting up a giutar. Its really a case of doing stuff in a logical order and very carefully. But: If you don't know the logical order, or if you don't feel confident/competent to do it, then get someone else to do it.

HappyJack, where can I get a full size (or life size!!) copy of your avatar?

Clive

I am not advising one way or another, but if you do want to tackle it yourself, try reading this...which should possily be a sticky somehwere...if it isn't already!

[url="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html"]http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassm...etupmanual.html[/url]

Paul.

It does sound to me that a fret level & dress is what's needed - this is a pro job which requires specific tools & experience, though. Possibly a neck shim, too, but a luthier will do that, if necessary, as part of a set-up. It doesn't sound too serious to me. :)

Jon.