Why become a member? ×

Pickup Foam

Hit&Run

Apologies if this subject has been broached before, I suspect it will have been..

Anyway, I could do with some foam to put under the pups in my G&L tribute L2500, as they push into the pup cavity far too easily when resting my thumb on them. There are springs [i]in situ[/i], but they're not manly enough for an ultra butch guy like me :).
So I ask:
1) Does anyone know where I can buy/pilfer a bit of suitable foam, I don't need kilos here...

and

2) Does anyone have any experience of putting foam under G&L pups? IE how big the bits of foam should be trimmed to, one lump or a couple of strips etc...

Cheers guys
Andrew.

[quote name='Muppet' post='121189' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:15 PM']I've used all sorts in the past before. Often grey pipe lagging as I've always some lying around![/quote]

Argh! when i was fitting DiMarzios in my jazz i needed some foam, but couldnt think of anything,,,,, thats a good substitute!

Really good question Hit&Run and some realy good ideas here which I'm going to try out myself in future as I've had this problem on my basses before..

Amazing that such a crucial thing as the way the pick ups sit in the body of the bass, is so badly thought through by a lot of bass manufacturers??