Why become a member? ×

MXR pedal repairs.

CPBass

Helloooo,

A little advice if poss

Ive recently sold my MXR blowtorch to a BC member only to find that the gain pot wasnt working on delivery. All has been sorted and the pedal returned and refund given etc etc. However, Ive been in touch with the Jim Dunlop factory who asked me to return it and theyd repair it free of charge. Excellent, or so I thought.

The cost of shipping via parcelfarce was £45 which is steep but Id also have to pay for the return. Is there anywhere in the UK that offers an economical repair service on these pedals? I cant seem to find anywhere.

Its a shame to let the pedal waste as everything else works a treat. BTW MXR have offered to replace the pot as a starting point which I'll install but if this doesnt work im stuck.

Any suggestions?

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='121337' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:35 AM']i'd get a replacement pot from MXR and fit it yourself, unless Dunlop agree to refund you the postage as your sending it back under warranty.

Have you contacted dunlop in the UK via JHS?[/quote]

cheers john,

Ive got the pot on the way, my only concern is that if it turns out to be something other than the pot....... I didnt contact JHS in the UK but most certainly will do. The reason JD USA wouldnt pay the postage was that the pedal is over a year old and the repair would be done as a "good will" gesture whcih is cool but postage is just too much to make sending it viable

Cheers

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

Hi Col,

Not worth sending it all the way back (£45! :) ) for just a pot replacement, which is couple quid at the most.

I would either get replacement from MXR, or if you're in a rush to get it fixed, ask them for logarithmic or linear value of pot, & buy one.

Anyone reasonably competent with a soldering iron should be able to repair this (easy job), & it shouldn't really cost any more than a tenner. If not possible at music store, try TV repair man or similiar.

Shame you're not Bristol based, would do it for you.

Hope this helps
Cheers

[quote name='nick' post='121342' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:40 AM']Hi Col,

Not worth sending it all the way back (£45! :) ) for just a pot replacement, which is couple quid at the most.

I would either get replacement from MXR, or if you're in a rush to get it fixed, ask them for logarithmic or linear value of pot, & buy one.

Anyone reasonably competent with a soldering iron should be able to repair this (easy job), & it shouldn't really cost any more than a tenner. If not possible at music store, try TV repair man or similiar.

Shame you're not Bristol based, would do it for you.

Hope this helps
Cheers[/quote]

Cheers Nick

The pot is ordered and I'll replace it with my trusty iron and sucker. Im just preparing in case its a little more than that. The PCB looks very complex. Hopefully its just the pot.

Thanks again

Col

[quote name='BassManKev' post='121358' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:14 AM']i think this can be classed as a sign....

KEEP THE BLOWTORCH once its fixed :huh:[/quote]

Looks like the case Kev, she dont wanna go anywhere!!!!

Well I have a choice now between the Jekyll & Hyde and the MXR. Cant be bad having 2 boutique effect option just for growling :)

Nice precision BTW.. mmmmmm

Edited by Voodoosnake

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for a slight thread hijack but my blowtorch is completely screwed. It works through the bypass but when you turn the pedal on it makes very horriable noises and crackles loads. i took it to a guitar tech who said he should be able to fix it and couldnt.

I called up dunlop in the US and they said to return it to them, but if it costs £45 to post and will take 2 months according to them, whats this JHS all about? Will they repair it under its warranty or what?

thanks in advance

[quote name='the_house123' post='139335' date='Feb 13 2008, 10:29 AM']It works through the bypass but when you turn the pedal on it makes very horriable noises and crackles loads.[/quote]

Sounds like it's functioning perfectly to me :huh:

(P.S. I'm not a big fan of the Blow Torch :))