Why become a member? ×

Do any other strings compare to DR Sunbeams?

cameltoe

I've just restrung my precision with D'addario XL nickels after having Sunbeams on there since July. The sunbeams had felt dead for the last few weeks and although I wanted more Sunbeams, my local store only had the D'addario's (for £25!!!!) but the sunbeams had been so bad at a gig on Friday they needed to be changed. I'd previously used the D'addario's several times on a few basses, and although they didn't feel good, and didn't have a great lifespan, they always sounded nice and punchy. I prefered the Fender 7250 nickels as they were a touch less harsh and hit the sweet spot a little quicker and lasted a little longer.

Last night I strung the P with the D'addarios, and I can't tell you how disappointed I am. They feel soooooo tight compared to the DR's, they feel a lot rougher to the touch, sound harsher, and unless I'm imagining it, the strings seem to be a different level of volume. The E and D have sounded a fair bit quieter than the A and G and I had to really dig in as a result. Punchy, yes, but not as defined in tone as the Sunbeams.

I don't want to bash the D'addario's, as I had always gotten on with them before, but after having the Sunbeams for a while only a day after paying £25 for the D'addario's I already want to change them.

Stringbusters have the Sunbeams for £27.60, but can anything else compare? I've looked at the La Bella's and Ken Smith's which are all a fair bit cheaper and the Thomasick Infelds which are more expensive again. I love the low tension, the warmth, the soft feel, the definition of tone (without the zinginess and clankyness of other fresh nickels) and the fat punch of the Sunbeams.

Does anything come close at all, or even for less ££?

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1064904' date='Dec 20 2010, 06:45 PM']I use DR Marcus Miller Fat beams on my Roadworn Precision. The thing sings like mad with them on - I'll be sticking with them for quite a while !

T[/quote]

Ah! Considering mines a road worn as well I'm interested.

I did look at the Marcus millers, the description seems to be right what I'm after but I was put off by them being stainless, even though they appear to be a bit tamer than standard stainless.

I may have to try them at some point. Do you normally use stainless strings? Just wondering what they would be like to play considering I'm used to nickels.

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1064982' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:45 PM']Ah! Considering mines a road worn as well I'm interested.

I did look at the Marcus millers, the description seems to be right what I'm after but I was put off by them being stainless, even though they appear to be a bit tamer than standard stainless.

I may have to try them at some point. Do you normally use stainless strings? Just wondering what they would be like to play considering I'm used to nickels.[/quote]

Hmm.... a bit difficult to describe the difference b/w sunbeams and MM's, as I've yet to try the sunbeams. That said, I do own a set, so they may go on at some point just to see what happens.

Stainless Elites used to go on my Goodfellow for years. The brightness of the Elites just complemented the on board controls, which shape the mid/high frequencies nicely.
As they worked so well on the Goodfellow, I tried stainless Elites on a maple / maple USA '73 Precision I had in the late 90's. The bright acoustic nature of the Stainless Elites seemed to enhance the higher frequencies of the Precision split pickup in an unpleasant way, developing a quite thin sounding treble dominate tone. Great for machine gun octave popping.

Coming more up to date, I snatched up a Roadworn Jazz earlier this year, which came fitted with MM stainless. As you suspect, they do appear to be tamer when compared to the stainless Elites. They feel smoother than Elites when running a finger up the string with light pressure.
They are also easier to engage with the fret than Elites, requiring less pressure. Having said that, they are by no means floppy. The lighter pressure involved has encouraged a lighter, more deft touch from me, accompanied by less digging in.

Lastly, the Elites seem almost acoustically brittle compared to the MM's. Very bright. The Elites fitted to the 73 Precision seemed to elicit fret 'tizzle', which just made the bass more difficult to control.
By comparison, the MM's generate a smoother, more rounded tone.

The Elites are very good strings and I used them exclusively for years, but the MM's have won me over.

Hope that helps a little

T

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1065294' date='Dec 20 2010, 11:41 PM']DR Sunbeams are my first choice strings but if I have to buy local, it's Ernie Ball Slinkys.. Not as good as the Sunbeams but IME, if you like the DRs you'll like the EBs.[/quote]

+1. EB Slinkys are excellent nickels, and often overlooked IMO.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1065294' date='Dec 20 2010, 11:41 PM']DR Sunbeams are my first choice strings but if I have to buy local, it's Ernie Ball Slinkys.. Not as good as the Sunbeams but IME, if you like the DRs you'll like the EBs.[/quote]

Unfortunately the only slinkys stocked in my local shop are the stainless.

I did use them briefly before. Never tried the nickels.

[quote name='Platypus' post='1065251' date='Dec 20 2010, 11:45 PM']Might want to check out Ed Friedland's review fo DR strings:

[url="http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html"]http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html[/url][/quote]

thanks for that. Very informative.
I've only ever used DR Hi Beams, and fancy a change. The link has helped me make my mind up!

I've recently put a set of Elixir strings on my Warwick and like the tone and feel of them.
Very easy to play which I put down to the coating.

Had a few worries with the coating though which Strings Direct & BC readers have now put my mind at ease as nothing to worry about.

I've tried the Fender nickels and thought they were pretty good and seemed to last quite a while.
Liked the elites that came with my Warwick in 1989 - were ok but hard on fingers. (i think they were stainless though ?)
Tried several Warwicks (red, black, etc) and they were a nightmare and didn't last very long either.

Because of this thread I'm gonna give the DR's a try soon.

Good luck.

Dave

I always use nickel strings because they're smoother than stainless steel and warmer sounding. Until recently I used EB Slinkys which I was always happy with, but tried some cheap Rotosound 'Roto Bass' and to be honest they were just as good as the slinkys, but nearly half the price.

I'd certainly be interested in trying a new set of DR's to compare, but unless they're a [i]huge[/i] improvement on the Rotosounds or lasted twice as long, I'm not convinced they'd be worth the extra outlay for me.

I've found the D'Addorio XL Nickels and SIT Nickels to be the closest to DR Sunbeams and Nickel Lo-Riders, they can be similar in tone, however the feel is radically different.
The come close, but no cigar, unfortunately... :)

I buy my DR's from the states via ebay, usually ends up about £25 for a 5er set and less than £30 for a 6er, including shipping, the only pain is the wait, but it's never been longer than a week.
I do feel bad about not patronising a local or even British music store but bass string prices in the UK are a total joke!
I used to pay over £50 for DR Hi-Beams for my 6er years back, and they're not much cheaper now over 10 years on - insane...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1078261' date='Jan 5 2011, 09:18 AM']I've found the D'Addorio XL Nickels and SIT Nickels to be the closest to DR Sunbeams and Nickel Lo-Riders, they can be similar in tone, however the feel is radically different.

I buy my DR's from the states via ebay, usually ends up about £25 for a 5er set and less than £30 for a 6er, including shipping, the only pain is the wait, but it's never been longer than a week.
I do feel bad about not patronising a local or even British music store but bass string prices in the UK are a total joke!
I used to pay over £50 for DR Hi-Beams for my 6er years back, and they're not much cheaper now over 10 years on - insane...

Eude[/quote]

I find D'addadrio sound similar, but yes, feel a whole lot different. If I was to put XL nickels on my bass, the truss rod would need tightening as a result.

I love the Sunbeams, am looking forward to trying Fatbeams on a recommendation.

How are the Low riders?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1079240' date='Jan 5 2011, 10:03 PM']I find D'addadrio sound similar, but yes, feel a whole lot different. If I was to put XL nickels on my bass, the truss rod would need tightening as a result.

I love the Sunbeams, am looking forward to trying Fatbeams on a recommendation.

How are the Low riders?[/quote]

Hey man,
I find them quite like SunBeams but a bit more aggressive, slightly tighter too, but nothing like the D'addadrio's...
If you like the SunBeams, definitely worth a punt :)

Eude

A budget option would be Picato nickels - very nice strings for the cash. They are not quite as bouncy as Sunbeams, but sound warm and balanced. Made in South Wales and can be had on-line for a tenner.

Expensive option is R.Cocco nickels - very, very similar feel and slightly brighter sound when new. Just as pricey as DR, but better prices from Thomann (as ever).

[quote name='BassBod' post='1079508' date='Jan 6 2011, 10:21 AM']A budget option would be Picato nickels - very nice strings for the cash. They are not quite as bouncy as Sunbeams, but sound warm and balanced.[/quote]

+1
And you may check Galli Rockstar out

[quote name='eude' post='1078261' date='Jan 5 2011, 09:18 AM']I've found the D'Addorio XL Nickels and SIT Nickels to be the closest to DR Sunbeams and Nickel Lo-Riders, they can be similar in tone, however the feel is radically different.

Eude[/quote]

And there's Ed Friedland complaining about $25 a set.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1070853' date='Dec 28 2010, 11:43 AM']I've recently put a set of Elixir strings on my Warwick and like the tone and feel of them.
Very easy to play which I put down to the coating.

Had a few worries with the coating though which Strings Direct & BC readers have now put my mind at ease as nothing to worry about.

I've tried the Fender nickels and thought they were pretty good and seemed to last quite a while.
Liked the elites that came with my Warwick in 1989 - were ok but hard on fingers. (i think they were stainless though ?)
Tried several Warwicks (red, black, etc) and they were a nightmare and didn't last very long either.

Because of this thread I'm gonna give the DR's a try soon.

Good luck.

Dave[/quote]

Sounds like my experience with string brands.
Started with Rotos
Moved to Elites soon after. Stuck with them for a while, and will still use them as a cheaper option or in a pinch.
Discovered Elixirs when an Ibanez I bought came with them on. Liked the durability. Still do, but they aren't cheap, and can sound a bit plasticky on basses with phenolic fretboards. Still use them on my Warwick, too.
Tried DR MM FatBeams on a Squier VMJ I'd modded to be halfway to a Marcus Miller Jazz... And... Sold!
Have now put FatBeams on my Vigier and Sunbeams on my MIA s-1 Jazz, and it's all good.

Alternatives to Sunbeams? Both mine are cheap and more cheerful than their price points suggest;

Fender 7250s
Warwick Yellow labels

I've tried Warwick Reds (not good) Yellow (Nickel, and MUCH better) and EMP (expensive and still poor) Haven't tried Blacks, and in spite of what I've heard, experience urges caution.

No go areas (for me) Ernie Ball, Ashdown.

Recent discovery- Status Hotwires. Have a look, see what Rob and Dawn can do for you. Huge range of types and gauges, plus they're well made, sound good and are durable.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBod' post='1079508' date='Jan 6 2011, 09:21 AM']A budget option would be Picato nickels - very nice strings for the cash. They are not quite as bouncy as Sunbeams, but sound warm and balanced. Made in South Wales and can be had on-line for a tenner.

Expensive option is R.Cocco nickels - very, very similar feel and slightly brighter sound when new. Just as pricey as DR, but better prices from Thomann (as ever).[/quote]

I've just taken delivery of some Nickel Picatos for my Shuker.
Although I'm not really playing the Shuker much at the moment, it's got some heavy-ass Rotosound Nickels on there which aren't really my bag, far too stiff, so I thought why not try out these guys and a lighter gauge too, for s**ts and giggles.
The customer service with these guys is incredible! Almost immediate response to my emails, paid for the strings Friday afternoon and they arrived at my office on Saturday!
This was for a custom gauge Nickel 6 string set, £19 all in including postage!

As a long time DR Nickel fan-boy, I'll give you lot my opinion once I've messed around with them.

Cheers for now!
Eude

I usually use DR's or Elixirs most of the time - at the moment my Spector's strung with DR Hi Beams, but in the past I've used Black Beauties (my favourite for looks, and they do last ages), Sunbeams and Marcus Miller Fat Beams - all were awesome, to be honest, but my 2 favourites for sound and playability were the Hi Beams and the Elixirs. I love the way Elixirs feel, plus the fact that they seem to have that awesome "bright but not too bright" tone - and keep it for months! I think the last set of Elixirs I had on my bass lasted about 14 months of pretty extensive gigging before I changed them, and they still sounded OK :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1088138' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:17 PM']Recent discovery- Status Hotwires. Have a look, see what Rob and Dawn can do for you. Huge range of types and gauges, plus they're well made, sound good and are durable.[/quote]

I'm liking the look of them too. After years on Elites I fancy a change but don't want to play the "boutique" prices... If I buy the double-ball strings in a pack of six they come in at twelve quid a set!!