Why become a member? ×

NS Design NXT4

bartelby

I've been wanting a EUB for a long time now. So I decided to take advantage of the Take It Away scheme and ordered an amber burst NXT4 from Bass Direct.
:)

Weather permitting I pick it up from the shop on the 28th December!

I can't wait, but I'm also a little nervous. I've only ever played electric bass before.

I've had one on these for about four months. Best bass move I've made. I use it with a four piece standards band, no drums, and the sound attracts more positive comment than I've had in 20 years of playing bass guitar. It's a delight to play and easy enough to convert your bg lines with a bit of adjustment to avoid higher postitions.
I changed the strings for a DB set which sound a bit better and feel much better, but I don't think this is necessary.

Be careful though, my next move was to proper double bass and this is deep into the Bermuda Triangle with dodgy GPS.

Nigel

[quote name='TPJ' post='1065245' date='Dec 20 2010, 10:41 PM']Nothing to be nervous about, get stuck in and enjoy :)[/quote]

Actually, I think I'm more worried the weather will be crap and I won't be able to pick it up. Looking at long range forecasts I should be ok!

[quote name='carlitos71' post='1065247' date='Dec 20 2010, 10:42 PM']I was planning to do exact same thing... only waiting to get rid of my Jack Casady, hope they got more than one in stock...[/quote]

I think Mark is out of the 4 string ones for now. He had a black one and the amber one listed, but when I emailed he said the amber was the only one left.

[quote name='NDH' post='1065320' date='Dec 21 2010, 12:28 AM']I changed the strings for a DB set which sound a bit better and feel much better, but I don't think this is necessary.

Be careful though, my next move was to proper double bass and this is deep into the Bermuda Triangle with dodgy GPS.

Nigel[/quote]

I've been looking at other strings, but I think they can wait for a while. At least until I'm used to playing an upright.

I would have preferred a double bass but the sheer size of them is what made me go for an EUB. I'd need to move to a bigger house in order to have a DB.

Once you have your instrument have a look at [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Todd-Phillips-Essential-Techniques-Acoustic/dp/B00024OR4Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292918008&sr=1-3"]Todd Phillips - Essential Techniques For Acoustic Bass [/url] which is really useful for building good technique. Easy to follow too.

If you are really serious about double bass have a look at [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Method-Double-Bass-Book/dp/0825801524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292918233&sr=8-1"]Simandl[/url] which is the industry standard double bass technique book.

NS basses are great basses and with proper DB strings they sound even better. To my ear anyway.

Edited by BassBus

Collect it today!

It feels great to play, the different scale length doesn't seem to be a problem. Probably because it's a totally different playing position.

Been playing through my sansamp BDDI and headphones as I'm at my parent's and ampless.
Once the strings dull down a little it's going to sound great!
Can't wait to get home on Sunday now!

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1071145' date='Dec 28 2010, 06:23 PM']Liam, you'll hate this eventually, so to save you any heartache bring this to my house on Monday and I'll take it off your hands.....purely as an act of kindness.. :lol:[/quote]

It's a very kind offer John, but unfortunately I have a feeling it'd take slightly longer than a week for me to hate it. If that happens at all.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1071148' date='Dec 28 2010, 06:25 PM']Oh and don't forget, I'll have one of the brazil nut chocs from that Thornton's box plz. :)[/quote]

Righto!
:)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1071190' date='Dec 28 2010, 07:21 PM']Very tempted by one of these...

Did it come with the tripod as standard?

What's the difference between the NXT & the WAV models (other than about £100).

Shep[/quote]

The tripod is the supplied stand. The end pin stand is £200 extra.

There's a bit here [url="http://uprightbass.com/2009/09/25/ns-design-nxt-electric-upright-bass/"]about the difference[/url]

[quote name='bartelby' post='1066006' date='Dec 21 2010, 06:37 PM']Any recommendation for DB strings?[/quote]

There are endless choices for DB strings and none of them particularly cheap. A lot of players have been using Pirastro Obligato strings. These have a synthetic core so give a much darker tone. I use Thomastic Belcantos on my CR4M which are an orchestral string. Again a much darked, warmer tone. Inovation strings are a cheaper option. Some guys have been using Inovation Honeys to good effect. Overall you are probably best to go for an orchestral string as that will darken the tone. One word of warning though. Most 3/4 DB strings will fit but some don't, too short, eg. TI Spirocore. Check the length between the silks at each end.

I wasn't getting on with the stock strings at all but the Belcantos are just great.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1071200' date='Dec 28 2010, 07:35 PM']Top man. Cheers.

Definitely seems worth the extra. Given the relatively small price gap I imagine the NXT sells a fair amount more than the WAV.

£200 for an end pin! Ouch.[/quote]

The WAV isn't made anymore. They were having a lot of quality problems with them so production has moved. The NXT is esentially the same bass as the WAV though.

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys

I've just bought an NS Design NXT 4 EUB , I have always played Electric bass so consider me a newbie on the EUB , can anyone advise on the "best support system / straps for these basses ? I am currently using the tripod that shipped with the instrument but have also seen that there are 3 other options for the NS Design NXT 4 ,

1) Boomerang Shoulder Strap
2) Frame Strap System
3) Endpin Stand

link to vendors site and support system PICS attached - [url="http://www.nedsteinberger.com/instruments/systems.php#end"]http://www.nedsteinb...systems.php#end[/url]

Has any of you here had any experiences with the above options on Straps/End Pin for the NXT 4 ? any info greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris