Why become a member? ×

Silverstone Amp Covers

cameltoe

Currently not impressed....

These guys have a very slick looking website, and I've seen a few of their covers and they really are great quality. Our guitarist has one and it's very well made.

However, I contacted the guys there to make me a cover for my cab over 6 weeks ago. Good communication from them at first, not great, it was usually 48-72 hours to get a reply, but it did come. I eventually plumped to order one with them, and paid via the paypal link I was given.

A week later I got an email asking for the exact dimensions of the cab. I had initially sent them a link to the cab on Ashdown's website which had all the specs for it, but the guy wanted me to measure it myself to be sure. Fair enough I thought. 48 hours later I get a response thanking me for the dimesions and telling me it would cost £37.99, which was a bit strange as I'd already paid £39.99 over a week ago. I emailed them my reply along these lines and got a satisfactory response, but a month on I'm still waiting for this cab cover to show up, and the guys there have ceased all communication with me.

I've now sent three emails over the past week and a half to two different email addresses and have heard nothing back. I wasn't expecting a quick turnaround, as it would have to be custom made, but a whole month is more than I was expecting, and IMHO there's no need to ignore a paying customer.

Speaking to my guitarist it turns out he had similar issues with them, taking a good fortnight's worth of communication to just get them round to making the bloody thing, and then a big wait for it to actually arrive.

What's really effed me off now though, is on Friday night I was a bit robust in removing the cab from the van and ended up ripping the tolex. :)

I don't want to put these guys down too much because their covers are very nice, but how long am I supposed to wait for this thing?

Paypal give you 48 days to launch a dispute and we're now at around 30 days. If it isn't here on the 47th day I'll have no choice but to claim the funds back.

Search is your friend...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29270"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29270[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=107446"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=107446[/url]

Anyway, sorry to hear it. I hope you get sorted.

Hi Cameltoe,

I ordered a cover for my markbass 2x10 combo and went through the same thing. Communication was good in the beginning... and then no reply.
It took well over a month.
I finally got it and I must say the quality is excellent. I'm very happy with it, but I won't use them again. They are simply too sloppy/ignorant with their customers.
Yours will arrive eventually, the snow won't help, but I've heard this story many times from users of this forum.

Best of luck.

Phil.

When I last ordered some covers (a couple of months ago) I used...

AmplifierCoversOnline.Com

easy ordering, good communications and the covers turned up in a week (when they quote 2). Covers were fair price and of the quality I expected.

I have no commercial association with this company, this is just my honest feedback.

[quote name='DBass1' post='1066865' date='Dec 22 2010, 03:21 PM']When I last ordered some covers (a couple of months ago) I used...

[url="http://www.AmplifierCoversOnline.Com"]http://www.AmplifierCoversOnline.Com[/url]

easy ordering, good communications and the covers turned up in a week (when they quote 2). Covers were fair price and of the quality I expected.

I have no commercial association with this company, this is just my honest feedback.[/quote]

That's the shop front of Roqsolid covers - I've always had brilliant service from them.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1066855' date='Dec 22 2010, 03:08 PM']Search is your friend...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29270"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29270[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=107446"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=107446[/url]

Anyway, sorry to hear it. I hope you get sorted.[/quote]

Ahh b*llcks

Wish I'd read those first.

Got a good mind to file the paypal claim now, cos listening to those threads it doesn't sound like it will ever get here, and if it does it will be wrong.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1066962' date='Dec 22 2010, 04:55 PM']Got a good mind to file the paypal claim now[/quote]
That's what I did in the end. I won't use them again. Sorry to hear of anothers misfortunes (again!)

[quote name='Hamster' post='1066906' date='Dec 22 2010, 03:57 PM']That's the shop front of Roqsolid covers - I've always had brilliant service from them.[/quote]
That's who I use now - use the Basschat search function & you'll hear mainly incredibly positive things

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1066849' date='Dec 22 2010, 03:00 PM']Currently not impressed....

These guys have a very slick looking website, and I've seen a few of their covers and they really are great quality. Our guitarist has one and it's very well made.

However, I contacted the guys there to make me a cover for my cab over 6 weeks ago. Good communication from them at first, not great, it was usually 48-72 hours to get a reply, but it did come. I eventually plumped to order one with them, and paid via the paypal link I was given.

A week later I got an email asking for the exact dimensions of the cab. I had initially sent them a link to the cab on Ashdown's website which had all the specs for it, but the guy wanted me to measure it myself to be sure. Fair enough I thought. 48 hours later I get a response thanking me for the dimesions and telling me it would cost £37.99, which was a bit strange as I'd already paid £39.99 over a week ago. I emailed them my reply along these lines and got a satisfactory response, but a month on I'm still waiting for this cab cover to show up, and the guys there have ceased all communication with me.

I've now sent three emails over the past week and a half to two different email addresses and have heard nothing back. I wasn't expecting a quick turnaround, as it would have to be custom made, but a whole month is more than I was expecting, and IMHO there's no need to ignore a paying customer.

Speaking to my guitarist it turns out he had similar issues with them, taking a good fortnight's worth of communication to just get them round to making the bloody thing, and then a big wait for it to actually arrive.

What's really effed me off now though, is on Friday night I was a bit robust in removing the cab from the van and ended up ripping the tolex. :)

I don't want to put these guys down too much because their covers are very nice, but how long am I supposed to wait for this thing?

Paypal give you 48 days to launch a dispute and we're now at around 30 days. If it isn't here on the 47th day I'll have no choice but to claim the funds back.[/quote]

I would say let them know first that you will start the issue/dispute with Paypal as they may be able to offer a reasonable excuse.
If you have not used Paypal's dispute system, it may be safer to would look into that a little bit more before their expiry date.

Hi mate,

Well, I had a pleasant experience when ordering my cover. I thought it was well priced (custom made), and good quality, turned up pretty quick. I guess I got lucky? But, I've given up chasing the paperwork that I need for tax purposes. They were pretty awful in that respect, so it seems thats true to form for the Silverstone service.

The thing is, my cover (full zip around job), is by far the best I've seen without going to hard cases. It's well padded, and tough as old boots, looks pretty smart too. far better protection than the alternatives who do a relatively thin cover. I think you've done the right thing product wise, it's a shame they've been so rubbish and I don't think a good product should excuse sloppy service. I'd keep on and on trying them and kick off a bit. They have a bad rep in this dept. But i'm sure, when it turns up you'll be happy with it. Total b*tch that you tore your cab recently, bugger!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I emailed Shaun on 23rd December to ask politely for my money back. I had just torn the tolex on the cab, and told him I could not wait any longer, so would like a refund. I was half hoping this would kick him into gear a bit, and I may get a grovelling reply and might possibly receive the cover. No such luck. No response, and certainly no refund.

It's now 5th January, 6 weeks after I paid for the cover, and I have been emailing Shaun to find out the progress of the cover since 14th December. He has not replied on a single occasion.

Tonight I filed a paypal claim to try and get my money back.

Be warned people. :)

Any chance we group together all the threads on Silverstone amp covers and make them a sticky? Seems like more than a couple BC'ers have had big problems with this supplier.

Edited by cameltoe

Sounds like a good idea, stop people getting in the same situation.

As an extra point, I ordered a cover for my Ampeg SVT410HE from these guys

[url="http://www.hotcovers.co.uk/"]http://www.hotcovers.co.uk/[/url]

Very good cover, and arrived within 4/5 days (and this was during the worst of the snow, and they are based in Scotland).

Went with them as they had items in stock, whereas Roqsolid make them to order apparently. Cost was the same as Roqsolids. Can`t compare them, but am more than happy with the product and service from Hot Covers.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1079252' date='Jan 5 2011, 10:12 PM']Tonight I filed a paypal claim to try and get my money back.[/quote]
He settled on the last day of the claim with me which I took to be him playing the system. A shame as he offers a good product when he can get his act together

Funny that, they were at LIMS last year and were displaying all kinds of covers which to me looked very nice, I must be a good judge of character because it took me only 1 minute talking to the main owner to realize he sounded like a peasant and had no business accumen or savoir-faire for me to steer very clear from ordering a cover. And what made me get that impression was when I wanted to order one for my Mark Bass combo, I asked him how much did he want as a deposit, he said if you want to order one, I won't take a deposit from you, you pay it all upfront now or I won't take the order! And I replied: "seeya!"

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1079446' date='Jan 6 2011, 06:33 AM']Funny that, they were at LIMS last year and were displaying all kinds of covers which to me looked very nice, I must be a good judge of character because it took me only 1 minute talking to the main owner to realize he sounded like a peasant and had no business accumen or savoir-faire for me to steer very clear from ordering a cover. And what made me get that impression was when I wanted to order one for my Mark Bass combo, I asked him how much did he want as a deposit, he said if you want to order one, I won't take a deposit from you, you pay it all upfront now or I won't take the order! And I replied: "seeya!"[/quote]

Brilliant!

Sounds about right though. Such a shame, because his website is very good, much better than most competitors, and really lures you into thinking you're dealing with pros. And as been mentioned many times, the product, if and when it turns up, is top notch.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1079261' date='Jan 5 2011, 10:20 PM']As an extra point, I ordered a cover for my Ampeg SVT410HE from these guys

[url="http://www.hotcovers.co.uk/"]http://www.hotcovers.co.uk/[/url]

Very good cover, and arrived within 4/5 days (and this was during the worst of the snow, and they are based in Scotland).[/quote]
I ordered a cover from Hot Covers on 23rd December... and it turned up the following day. Christmas Eve! Quality product too. Quite different from the Roqsolid covers (more like I imagine the mythical Silverstone covers to be), and really well padded.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Now received my refund from paypal. The guy didn't even bother to respond to the dispute.

It's all very sad and not how anyone should do business.

I'd really like to see all the silverstone threads (good and bad, only fair) become a sticky. I come on this site all the time, but never thought to run a search on them to see what they were like. As I said previously, their website is very slick, response to emails great (before I paid) and I've seen the covers up close so I know they are good, and they obviously arrive sometimes. Plus I didn't think it was possible for a business who's reviews have been 'mixed' ( I choose my words carefully) or perhaps an 'eventful' business history to last these days. Prob very naive of me. Had I spotted a thread marked 'Silverstone Amp Covers' in the top bar I'm sure I wouldn't have ordered at all after reading ALL the threads and making an informed decision.

Anyway, I'm now going to order a cover from hotcovers, and have every faith it will get here! (research done!)

I have had a load of covers over the years done by David AC Royle which although plain are well padded and well made. They mainly do car restoration and dont appear to do covers any more.
I guess there is a lot of competition out there and not everyone buyts a new amp regulalrly, or bothers if they do

Wow!! I thought I was just unlucky with mine. Turns out there's quite a few upset guys out there. I ordered one for an Ashdown Mag300 Evo II head which was advertised on their site (I assumed they had the size), and after nearly three weeks it came. I couldn't believe it when I took it out of the bag to find it would barely house a pack of A4 copy paper, let alone an amp head! A few emails sorted it although I had to finally measure it and send the dimensions. It finally came five weeks after the original order and thankfully it was a good fit and well made. I will say though that Shaun was very apologetic and more than helpful via emails throughout the whole unfortunate episode, although I have to admit it hasn't exactly filled me with enthusiasm to place another order with them.

Just to chip in- I too have been stung by this company. I'll skip the details but it's a similar story to LittleWing.

It's now the end of January and I ordered the cover October last year.

I've spent an excruciating 3 months dealing with Shaun Dunk. I still have no product and no refund even though I was told I would be refunded last December.

Sadly he has continued to ignore my correspondence so I have been left no choice but to reclaim my money through legal action.

I'm glad that other people were able to get their money returned through PayPal - you've saved yourself a lot of hassle.

If you are still chasing a product/refund from this company- move fast and be very firm with them about receiving it. Don't hesitate to use Consumer Direct/Trading Standards if you aren't seeing progress.