Why become a member? ×

grounding the jack socket and tone case

mr.sibs

im nearly finished a circuit im putting together for a pbass, dad simple, just one pup, but i was wondering, if i line the scratchplate with foil, will i still have to solder a ground wire from the jack negative to the volume casing, and also from the tone casing to the volume casing? im currently unsure...

This should probably be in the technical forum, maybe someone will move it.

Anyway....technically it should not be necessary if both pots and the jack socket are elctrically connected to the metal foil. In fact earthing these items separately will actuall create a mini "ground loop", but in the scheme of things its effect is negligible.

In practical terms, however, it usual to earth everything together with a separate wire (pot to pot and pot to jack socket) because there is a chance that, over time, the contact to the earthing foil may deteriorate and break the circuit (or the foil could tear if a component twisted at a later date).

I'd be inclined to earth them all with a wire - this is what everyone else does.