Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

I realise that any recording can be art and art is not about perfection, but about communicating. I realise that we have no right to judge other peoples playing.

Having said that, I teach on a music course and I am compiling a list of recordings which have mistakes in them to develop the critical listening skills of my students.

I did this a couple of times on the 'pit and possibly here (or wherever we were at the time).

Could you point me in the direction of your favourite mistakes?

TIA

Guest Jecklin

not a mistake in terms of "oops I played that wrong", more in the sense of an oversight in terms of preparation before a recording:

The bass drum pedal squeaks the whole way through sex machine by James brown.

Once you hear it you can never block it out.

I'm a BIG fan of incidental sounds in recordings. I hate over produced studio "purity", prefering a more spacious and realistic (less accurate?) live room sound, I like hearing the mechanics of how a sound is produced. Ie key clicks from wind instruments etc etc
That said I just can't hack listening to this track anymore.

[quote name='owen' post='121806' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:40 PM']Could you point me in the direction of your favourite mistakes?[/quote]
Trevor Bolder screws up, with knobs on, when he goes into the chorus of Gene Genie too early. And they left it in!!
All the guitar and vocal parts of Broken Dream by Python Lee Jackson. It was only a demo until Rod hit the big time!

[quote name='ARGH' post='121868' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:17 AM']Noel redding goes into the intro riff during the fade out of "Fire" by mistake

Chas Chandler reckoned no-one would notice it,so it stayed.[/quote]

Thanks, I have used that one (not being ungrateful here!), and on listening closely it sounds as if the whole rhythm section goes into the intro riff and it is Jimi that ploughs on regardless.

[quote name='owen' post='121928' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:49 AM']Thanks, I have used that one (not being ungrateful here!), and on listening closely it sounds as if the whole rhythm section goes into the intro riff and it is Jimi that ploughs on regardless.[/quote]

I have a Noel quote to say that its his fault...Mitch may have followed,but its his mistake.

[quote name='merchant' post='121881' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:44 AM']I'm a BIG fan of incidental sounds in recordings. I hate over produced studio "purity", prefering a more spacious and realistic (less accurate?) live room sound, I like hearing the mechanics of how a sound is produced. Ie key clicks from wind instruments etc etc[/quote]

For sure!

Live at Leeds is full of mistakes and is wonderful. A few false endings on the Wailers live at the Lyceum, also a beautiful recording.

"full of mistakes and wonderful"

couldn't agree more - one of the wonderful things about music is that there is no injury or harm caused by mistakes, and often a benefit. pretty risk free compared to structural engineering, medicine, skateboarding, or paiting the eaves on your house.

Cheap Thrills, Big Brother and the Holding Company. the record that made Janis Joplin, and it wouldn't have happened without that band and record, which has been torn to pieces by those favoring technical proficiency.

Not sure what album, but Hendrix covering Van the Man's "Gloria":

" Gloria, G.O.L.R.I.A"

Ella Fitzgerald live at Ronnie Scotts completely forgetting the chorus to "The very thought of you". The absolute pro that she is manages to not only rescue it but get huge laughs too!!

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

There's a bit of a ham-fisted note (not wrong as such, but not what was intended) played by Adam Clayton at around the 3.40 mark on the track "Love Rescue Me" from U2's Rattle and Hum album.

Edited by P-T-P