Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='122276' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:25 PM']If I recall correctly, there is a blooper in Jimmy Page's guitar solo on 'Stairway To Heaven'. Two decades since I listened to it so not 100% sure. Can anyone conform (I don't have a copy)?[/quote]

:) Quite probably! Page fluffed his way through absolutely stacks of solos. Doesn't stop them sounding awesome though, and is probably a good example of going for the feel in a take.

Another (which has proably come up before) is The Kingsmen's version of Louie Louie - the singer comes in early after the solo before stopping and restarting in the right place.

Re that Trevor Bolder one on Jean Genie - I heard an interview where he said he hated playing it live 'cos he [u]had[/u] to play the mistake...can't say I blame him!

Since I've Been Lovin' You (Led Zep) - there's a squeak from the kick drum pedal (or maybe his drumstool?)

Also Led Zep - wasn't there a plane flying overhead before a take and Planty can be heard saying "nah, leave it in"? Can't for the life of me remember which song but I [i]think[/i] it was off III or Physical Grafitti...

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='121941' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:39 AM']Not a playing mistake, but something that ended up on the released version that usually goes unnoticed:
On Hey Jude at 2:58, one of the band says "f'kin' 'ell" under the vocals.[/quote]

Yeah, Lennon`s headphones fell off.

[quote name='bassmandan' post='122345' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:06 PM']Mr. my life is brilliant, my life is brilliant Blunt!

surely couldn't have been right could it?!?..... apart from the fact that the intro's far too long as it is, with or without a spurious line, I'm fairly sure the opening line should've been "my life is pointless, my life is pointless"[/quote]
Was just going to post this!
Beat me to it!!
(though did think he said 'My life is pure' :) )

*EDIT: sang 'My love is pure' as second line........... I think!!*

Edited by tombboy

The beginning of American English by Wax where either Andrew Gold or Graham Gouldman starts a count in over the drums, then shouts Hold it, and then does the count again.

EDIT: Actually looking at the start of the thread again I suspect that is just not what you are talking about is it as it is so obvious

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='122532' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:29 PM']The beginning of American English by Wax where either Andrew Gold or Graham Gouldman starts a count in over the drums, then shouts Hold it, and then does the count again.

EDIT: Actually looking at the start of the thread again I suspect that is just not what you are talking about is it as it is so obvious[/quote]

Oh I love that .. and when the say "horns" half way through as if they are cueing the horn section ..

There's a roaring wrong bass note in a KC and the Sunshine band tune .. I think it's in the outro or last verse of Please Don't Go.

[quote name='SwordRaven' post='122589' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:23 PM']This thread has made me feel much better about our demo that has a couple of errors we couldn't sort out without re-recording half a song. :huh:[/quote]

+1

We are in the midst of compiling songs from recorded shows to be culled and worked into a CD for sale at gigs. I gotta say we are culling more than working in! :)

I think it might be OK to have the odd minor mistake when you are Led Zeppelin or Flea. But when its the latest CD by Joe suburbia's pup rock band somehow the mistakes are not as cute.

For real, it's natural to be a little worried about how you come across as a band, especially one trying to get noticed, but a bad recording doesn't do you any favours.

Unfortunately that's how it goes when money is tight and you only have the studio for max two days.

Hopefully ours is good enough though.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='122290' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:45 PM']There's a bit of a ham-fisted note (not wrong as such, but not what was intended) played by Adam Clayton at around the 3.40 mark on the track "Love Rescue Me" from U2's Rattle and Hum album.[/quote]

Yeah, I remember spotting that one, stood out a mile in such a slow simple 3 chord song. IIRC, he goes up to the IV chord a bar early.Quick correction tho'!!

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='122268' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:19 PM']one of the wonderful things about music is that there is no injury or harm caused by mistakes, and often a benefit. pretty risk free compared to structural engineering, medicine, skateboarding, or paiting the eaves on your house.[/quote]

that's a liberating philosophy!

In "Polly" off Nevermind, Kurt Cobain starts the verse a bar too early coming back in from the bass break. He sings "Polly said" before he realises, then stops and comes back in at the right place.

Eddie Vedder gets his words muddled in Pearl Jam's "State of Love and Trust". The lyrics are "...and the barrel shakes, trigger waits, aimed right at my head", but on the recording he actually sings "....and the barrel waits, trigger shakes.......". I'm sure he does the same kind of thing in a few other songs as well, but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Jimmy Page hits about half a dozen bum notes in the solo to "Heartbreaker".

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='122344' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:05 PM']Re that Trevor Bolder one on Jean Genie - I heard an interview where he said he hated playing it live 'cos he [u]had[/u] to play the mistake...can't say I blame him!

Since I've Been Lovin' You (Led Zep) - there's a squeak from the kick drum pedal (or maybe his drumstool?)

Also Led Zep - wasn't there a plane flying overhead before a take and Planty can be heard saying "nah, leave it in"? Can't for the life of me remember which song but I [i]think[/i] it was off III or Physical Grafitti...[/quote]

Think that's on 'Black Country Woman' from PG. Never been quite sure what that noise early on in SIBLY is, might be a pedal squeak but it sounds like a human voice too...

Other odd noises, anyone tried listening to Paperback Writer with only one of the other channels on? Can't recall if it is R or L but you can tell its all on one continuous vocal take cause you can hear Macca snuffling around in between the bits he needs to come back in and do b.vox on. Not a mistake, just a historical note as to how most recordings were done then. There's also a Beatles song that I've forgotten the title of where a bottle vibrated off the edge of a piano or something at the end and fell crashing to the floor but they kept it in as it had taken about 30 takes to even get that one.

[quote name='KevB' post='122712' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:35 AM']Think that's on 'Black Country Woman' from PG. Never been quite sure what that noise early on in SIBLY is, might be a pedal squeak but it sounds like a human voice too...[/quote]
According to Andy Johns (the engineer) it's the bass drum pedal.

Wasn't there an accident with the master tape when they were mixing Led Zep III? I think I read that the first few inches of the tape got crinkled up somehow, and they had to iron it flat to get it through the tape heads, resulting in that weird hissing sound at the beginning of "Immigrant Song".

There's a great backing vocal in "If I Fell" by the Beatles where someone completely misses the high falsetto on "was in vain" and giggles. I've heard other people cover it and it just doesn't sound the same with the part sung correctly.

+1 on the Heartbreaker solo too