Why become a member? ×

Mistakes

Owen

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' post='122715' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:42 AM']According to Andy Johns (the engineer) it's the bass drum pedal.

Wasn't there an accident with the master tape when they were mixing Led Zep III? I think I read that the first few inches of the tape got crinkled up somehow, and they had to iron it flat to get it through the tape heads, resulting in that weird hissing sound at the beginning of "Immigrant Song".[/quote]

Really hard to fake those things on ProTools :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='122532' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:29 PM']The beginning of American English by Wax where either Andrew Gold or Graham Gouldman starts a count in over the drums, then shouts Hold it, and then does the count again.

EDIT: Actually looking at the start of the thread again I suspect that is just not what you are talking about is it as it is so obvious[/quote]

Thought of another one .. Mommas and Poppas "I saw her today" they start singing a verse a couple of bars early, stop and then start again in the right place .. mind you it's 4 part harmony so I suspect they meant to do it ... :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='122989' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:22 PM']"a liberating philosophy"

at some level isn't that a large part of what music is about?

of course if anyone wants to pursue perfection - that is their call, but for me that would be sheer drudgery.[/quote]

Depends on the circumstances .. a glaring mistake on your demo says "bad attitude" "they don't care enough" and thus influences the decisions of the person you sent it to.
If that person is looking to book you for money then you loose .. all for a C# instead of a C ...

[quote name='gypsymoth' post='122989' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:22 PM']"a liberating philosophy"

at some level isn't that a large part of what music is about?

of course if anyone wants to pursue perfection - that is their call, but for me that would be sheer drudgery.[/quote]

yes, I'm with you.

Of course I'd rather play all the right notes, in the right order, but like the man says no-one's going to get hurt if I play the ocasional bum note whereas if I'm too scared to try something exciting in case I fail then yes, sheer drudgery.

Thanks y'all! I salute you.

Just been listening to Roxanne and it sounds like the tape speeds up a whole semi-tone in the first 2 bars as well. I only wish I had something out that had been bought by 70 gazillion people so that someone could point out a mistake in it :)