Why become a member? ×

Groove65 Whip Round

paul h

Hi guys,

I have just been reading about Groove65's bad experience buying a bass off a BC member.

It's given me a rather selfish idea. I feel I am running short on Karma at the moment. My Ying is overpowering my Yang or is it the other way around? Or is that just nonsense?

Anyhoo, in an attempt to redress the balance I feel the need to do a good deed.

I think we should have a whip round and try to raise some money and get one of the BC luthiers to sort out Grooves bass for him.

I am pretty skint at the moment (due to all this bad Karma) but I will stick £10 in to get things started. So post a reply with your pledge, or if your a luthier wanting to help out let us know.

I can sort out the logistics later, but it's probably just a case of paypal'ing some money over to Groove.

Cheers.

Paul.

I've ensured the offending seller cannot post anything without a moderator previewing it first.

A ban is unfortunately not really likely to happen as he hasn't done anything against the terms and conditions of using this forum. It is unfortunately caveat emptor and the forum/moderators cannot take responsibility for any for sale items. Moderators can mediate in a dispute if required, but it isn't really any of our business and the deal is strictly speaking a private affair.

That said - we don't want to see members being swindled and if someone is blatantly selling ropey gear or just taking money then we will of course take action.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='122222' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:03 PM']It appears that this may be the case here?

We need pictures[/quote]

Where do you draw the line after that ? If I sold a bass with an almost invisible scratch I hadn't advertised would I be banned ?

It's down to the buyer to be satisfied that the item they are purchasing is from someone they can trust and that the item is seen (even if just online) before being bought, same as eBay really.

The buyer himself has said it's [i]partially [/i]his own fault for not waiting for decent pics to ensure the bass was as described.

Nice idea to help a fellow BCer out, but I would rather that BCer do the right thing and pursue the seller for his money back. He has sufficient details to do so and Paypal are actually quite helpful in such situations. If however the bass was bought unseen and the buyer agreed to buy on those terms, I think a good lesson has been learned.

As I'm sure a few guys are aware, there are a couple of absolute **** on this site and I suspect that they change their IDs quite regularly despite no doubt every effort by the mods to prevent this. Selling basses on here is like shooting fish; people get ever so excited by a jazz with block inlays or similar and rarely do any of the types of probing questions to be found on ebay listings get asked here ("can I have a pic of the serial or the neck pocket"; "where did you get the bass" etc etc). I think the old Bassworld was better in this respect; the BC mod policy is to my mind a little too hostile towards posts in For Sale threads that are even slightly negative in tone to the seller - no disrespect mods, you do a great job and we're all very appreciative, I just think that part of the fun - and security - of BW was the fact that posting in For Sale was often a bit risky :). I got a load of grief for allegedly over-pricing my first listing (yes, a Precision), but thoroughly enjoyed the banter and made a lot of friends very quickly.

Anyway, I'm rambling; if the For Sale forum was a little less PC and a little more honest - that is, slightly harder to sell on - I think cases like the one above might be less likely to happen again in future.

All the best to the buyer in this situation. If it's any consolation, most of us have done the same

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Machines' post='122229' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:18 PM']Where do you draw the line after that ? If I sold a bass with an almost invisible scratch I hadn't advertised would I be banned ?

It's down to the buyer to be satisfied that the item they are purchasing is from someone they can trust and that the item is seen (even if just online) before being bought, same as eBay really.

The buyer himself has said it's [i]partially [/i]his own fault for not waiting for decent pics to ensure the bass was as described.[/quote]

Granted, that's true, but stating something is in Great Condition generally implies it's not going to have an unmentioned chip and scratches, if it had been described as fair with a couple of flaws but a great player it would be different, but to me it does sound like purposely misleading the buyer.

[quote name='paul h' post='122130' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:41 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10091"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10091[/url]

Basically he got sold a dog by a new member. I know I would be heartbroken if I had spent that much hard earned on a bass and got ripped off.[/quote]

Ah right I see, poor guy.

No newbies allowed to sell I reckon, unless the mods know them.

I reckon Groove65 might have some recourse - description says great condition. I would give my local CAB a call and ask if it's possible to initiate county court action in the case of a second hand item either described improperly or improperly packaged for shipping.

Even better, I do believe that Melfaso would be obliged to attend a county court hearing at the court in which the papers were filed if it went ahead.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='122267' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:18 PM']I reckon Groove65 might have some recourse - description says great condition. I would give my local CAB a call and ask if it's possible to initiate county court action in the case of a second hand item either described improperly or improperly packaged for shipping.

Even better, I do believe that Melfaso would be obliged to attend a county court hearing at the court in which the papers were filed if it went ahead.[/quote]

I might be wrong, but I used to assume Paypal would only act in the case of an ebay item, but I seem to remeber being told that they act in any transaction in which Paypal is used as the means of payment between two account holders. I might be wrong and if so I'm sure someone will correct me. If however I'm right, I recommend that Groove65 get on the case pretty quick as I believe there might be a limited time in which to make a claim.
Chris

[quote name='bassbloke' post='122267' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:18 PM']I reckon Groove65 might have some recourse - description says great condition. I would give my local CAB a call and ask if it's possible to initiate county court action in the case of a second hand item either described improperly or improperly packaged for shipping.

Even better, I do believe that Melfaso would be obliged to attend a county court hearing at the court in which the papers were filed if it went ahead.[/quote]

Sounds like the best option, if of course - he has details beyond a paypal email address. You'd need the sellers name, address etc to make a claim.

[quote name='Beedster' post='122273' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:22 PM']I might be wrong, but I used to assume Paypal would only act in the case of an ebay item, but I seem to remeber being told that they act in any transaction in which Paypal is used as the means of payment between two account holders. I might be wrong and if so I'm sure someone will correct me. If however I'm right, I recommend that Groove65 get on the case pretty quick as I believe there might be a limited time in which to make a claim.
Chris[/quote]

i *think* with paypal, if any item you have paid for is not as described then a dispute can be lodged with paypal and if the seller provides no valid response or simply does nothing, then paypal can return the money to the buyer, could be wrong though

[quote name='Machines' post='122213' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:56 PM']A ban is unfortunately not really likely to happen as he hasn't done anything against the terms and conditions of using this forum.[/quote]

errrrrm, Thumper, BFM cabs, he didnt rip anyone off and managed to get banned without breaking a term, or a condition

its has been my experience that administrators and moderators of forums can ban whoever and whenever they see fit

[quote name='paul h' post='122370' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:47 PM']Nice one Buzz and Toasted.

Half a set up and a set of strings is better than a kick in the teeth! Hopefully we might get a few more people chip in and he can get the D and G strings set up as well!

Paul.[/quote]
Got plenty of the wife's g strings for sale.... all be it on an entirely different website!!! :) :huh: ;)

Seriously, whilst I applaud the token generousity of the regular (new and not so new) users of this forum... 'Buyer beware' does spring to mind as you have romantically quoted. I do have a spare 'Kay' should it need a loving home, though! (only kidding.... count me in for a £10)

[quote name='spree' post='122468' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:47 PM']errrrrm, Thumper, BFM cabs, he didnt rip anyone off and managed to get banned without breaking a term, or a condition

its has been my experience that administrators and moderators of forums can ban whoever and whenever they see fit[/quote]

Not really - well I mean we [i]could[/i] but Thumper was banned because of personal issues between him and Kiwi. A shame but I think they have burnt all their bridges now!