Why become a member? ×

Paying for Problem Identification?

MythSte

I had a problem with a pre amp i sold not to long ago (lucky enough to have been able to fix it myself, it was only a silly thing)

Anyway, He only just got back to me (appears he was away on holiday) And ive been informed that it would be £50 to identify the problem?! Im lucky enough not to need to shell out now, but can that really be right?!

Hmm, i know it aint a cheap business but that just seemed a bit rediculous to me!

Do you mean you contacted someone about your problem, then fixed it yourself, and THEN heard back from the repairer?

If so - I guess £50 is fairly high, but sometimes when I do repairs I still charge for 'bench time' even if the problem isn't something fixable by me at that time.

For example, if someone drops in a bass with active circuitry and I spend a good while with it, I can pinpoint perhaps exactly where on the circuit board of the pre the problem is, but won't fix it, because im not a circuit board repairer type blokey. I still ask for some money for my time though.

Unless it was someone who wasn't a moron, in which case I'd probably do it for free. (Not saying you are a moron, but 90% of the people who get me to set up their guitars etc. are fairly irritating).

[quote name='NJW' post='122545' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:54 PM']Do you mean you contacted someone about your problem, then fixed it yourself, and THEN heard back from the repairer?[/quote]

Essentially yes :)

I ended up calling dave hall himself (it was a DHA pre) and asking if it was safe to have a poke round.

And yes aswell, the guy wanted £50 just to work out what the problem was. But if thats general ballpark fair enough, i really had no idea what the "going rate" was, just seemed a bit high!

[quote name='NJW' post='122821' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:12 PM']Thats pretty cool, and the more good stuff i hear about DHA the more interested I get![/quote]

Ive recently got rid of the DHA, i just prefer more Zing in my sound. However i think if i had an ampeg stack and a P bass it would be a different matter!

Full recommmendation

[quote name='NJW' post='122821' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:12 PM']Thats pretty cool, and the more good stuff i hear about DHA the more interested I get![/quote]

I've just traded my trace head to get this from Ste, I'm only down the road a wee bit in fife so your more than welcome to give it a go

[quote name='ste_m3' post='122843' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:35 PM']Ive recently got rid of the DHA, i just prefer more Zing in my sound. However i think if i had an ampeg stack and a P bass it would be a different matter!

Full recommmendation[/quote]

More zing really? I have to say with the DHA I have I dont think I've had more zing than I do now. My markbass sounded muddy in comparison, and the top end with bright engaged is too zingy for myself. Maybe Im thinking of zing in a different way.

What head or preamp do you use instead?

Sug

[quote name='Sugden' post='123585' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:40 PM']More zing really? I have to say with the DHA I have I dont think I've had more zing than I do now. My markbass sounded muddy in comparison, and the top end with bright engaged is too zingy for myself. Maybe Im thinking of zing in a different way.

What head or preamp do you use instead?

Sug[/quote]

The kind of zing you get when you mute a pop around the 12th fret and get that "Shazap" noise?