Why become a member? ×

Ampeg b3158 combo - turn into speaker cab?

bigjohn

Hi all, I've posted this in the amps & cabs forum too - but then I thought it might be best in here...

This is just a thought - I've never done anything like this before - so I'm asking some questions before I'll consider it viable.

I have an Ampeg B3158 Combo. It's really a well constructed heavy Ampeg cab. It tilt's back onto 2 casters, and has handles each side and one on the top for lifting. Great. Not only that - but it fits snug into the boot of my car length, height and breadth (vw polo) - So snug I can shut the boot, and leave the parcel shelf in.
Anyway, I digress. It's a biamped 150W B3 head (one 50W and one 100w, although I have a feeling there's 3 power amps sections) - One 8" 50w 4ohm driver and a 15" 150w (according to the parts list) 8ohm Woofer.

For those who don't know what these combos look like - here's a picture.

Mine's an older one - looks far more "classic" Ampeg than that. More like a thin, tall svt15e speaker cab with a built in head.

So - I decided to get a new rig. I've decided I want an svt3-pro, which is good. That bit's done. (I think!)

Now the problem comes with the cab. I would really like to be able fit a cab in the boot of my car - parcel shelf down.

So - I got to thinking - Why not take the head out of my B3158. An svt3-pro head might even fit the hole left, I've checked the dimensions and it's pretty close...

Then replace the 15" and 8" speakers with new 8ohm ones - making it a 4ohm cab and getting the full 450W from the svt.

I reckon the combo is worth £350+ it's in really good nick. Which would be enough to put towards an ampeg b15 and some sort of 2x10.

If I did the upgrades, the speakers would cost about £100?? which would be about the same price as me selling the combo and buying 2 new cabs (£350-£400). But then I'd be stuck with transportation issues.

So basically the choice is -

1) Upgrade the speakers - have no transport problems, not have to find a buyer for the combo, not have to find new cabs - only have a 15" and 8"
2) Sell the combo - buy 2 cabs - have transport issues, have to do all the buying and selling, driving and picking stuff up - have a 15" and two 10s (and have gear that's built to do what I'm using it for!)

Does anyone think upgrading the speakers is a good idea? Or am I just being a tosser?

Please be blunt.

Cheers

John

Edited by bigjohn

Go for it for reason 1 above.....

It may take a little time to get the 'rigth ones' for your tone but changing speakers aint rocket science.

Having an amp that you can get around and are happy is worth its weight in..... well expensive heavy stuff...

You may just end up with an ass kicking combo custom made by you for you....

:) :huh: ;)