Why become a member? ×

Old Vs New Markbass

Rumble

I used to own one of the old MB Little Mark F1's (in bright red). At the time it just didn't do it for me, but I'm now in the market for something with a bit more ooomph than my Eden WT400 (into 8 Ohms).

Do the newer MB amps sound the same as the older ones or has it changed at all with the updated power section etc..?

Andy

I tried out one of the early ones-HOW early I dunno- it was bright yellow-as opposed to the Orangey yellow of My new LMII- a cuppla yrs ago at my local shop & I wasn't impressed with it. Yet I do like my LMII very much!!!! Go figure!!!!??????????????

The one I had was the same as the Yellow one apart from the colour. To me it always sounded rather flat and a bit dull really, the complete opposite to what so many people seem to be saying about the new MB gear.

I've owned both the yellow one one and currently own a LMII.
To my ears they sound similar. Certainly in a gigging situation I can't hear any difference.

The yellow one is an excellent amp which I only sold on as part of my obsession for going as light as possible due to back pain and a frozen shoulder.
I'd be more than happy to use either amp and I'd say the yellow one would make a great used bargain these days.
BTW, I have no intention of changing to the new F1.

Frank

I've owned a couple of Markbass amps. Currently I'm using a TA503 and for the first time ever I'm happy with my rig! I've not experienced the older stuff but I've played the majority of the new stuff (except the REALLY new amps) and I've been very impressed with all of it.

The general idea behind Markbass is for the amps to not colour your tone and give you a lot of volume from a light, small package (ohh err missus!). It's incredibly reliable gear and does the job very well IMO.

I've not tried the Old Markbass gear, but I think a lot of questions can be answered by what you are partnering your amp with? If the cab you run the amp thru is not up to par, then you can expect it to not sound great!

What cab(s) do you run it thru?

I'm running an LMII thru a Tech Sound 4x12". I sometimes add an EA 10" cab to it, and there is quite a lot of difference in tone.

Hope this helps a little?

Cheers
Big G!

Gadget,

I used to run it through an MB Traveller 4x10 which really wasn't a great sound, then I got my Aguilar 1x12's which I love. I really like the Eden, but I find the 235W into 8Ohms just isn't enough sometimes. I'm also not sure if the warmth of the Eden through the 1x12's limits the ability to cut through the mix a little.