Why become a member? ×

Problems with wireless systems

Tinman

Hey all

I've got the Sennheiser Freeport FP72 wireless system and when I compare it to using a lead I find that it alters my tone.

Does anyone else have one of these and has anyone else had similar problems?

Has anyone had similar problems with any wireless systems and how have you got around them?

I'm pretty sure I've set it up correctly, so I don't think I've done anything daft.

I need help with this before I sell it, buy something more expensive and find that I've still got the same problem.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Tinman

It's quite a common occurence and you'll even experience it (albeit to a lesser extent) with high end systems. I find that on my system a tiny bit of both bottom and top end gets lost if I listen very carefully. Most of us get satisfactory results by altering the amps eq to suit.

[quote name='Muppet' post='11698' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:07 AM']It's quite a common occurence and you'll even experience it (albeit to a lesser extent) with high end systems. I find that on my system a tiny bit of both bottom and top end gets lost if I listen very carefully. Most of us get satisfactory results by altering the amps eq to suit.[/quote]

I see what you mean, that's exactly what's happening, it takes away punch as well.

I find it surprising/annoying that there are, apparently, only two manufacturers that make bass specific systems, notably: Samson and Nady.
The Nady UHF system (U-33B), it would appear, isn't on sale in the UK. You can only get their VHF system and VHF, as we all know, isn't particularly clever.

I sent you a PM about this but will also include my view here.

The main problem with the Freeport is it has a frequency cut off of 100hz whereas the Low E on bass has a fundamental of 50hz.

AKG do various systems and even their cheapest ones go down to 35hz which is ideal for bass.

X-Wire do the X2 which you can import and that goes to 15hz and is fantastic sounding.

The high end Shure units go to about 30hz but they are like £400+

Also check out Audio Technica and Sennheiser.

But generally with exception of the X2 you'll always notice a difference in tone, but it should only be different not bad.

Hope this helps

[quote name='Tinman' post='11761' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:05 PM']Thanks guys

I think I bought this unit in ignorance really.

Tayste: when you say the X2 can be imported, I take it that the frequencies used are legal in the UK. Failing that I'll look at AKG perhaps.

Cheers

Pete[/quote]

Nope not legal, but who ever cared about that :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='11756' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:55 AM']There are digital wireless systems now available such as [url="http://www.basscentral.com/2003/x2wireless.shtml"]this[/url] one that claim to be colourless.[/quote]

Yeah thats the X2 I put in my list.

They are getting rave reviews in America

There's another reason why wireless systems *can* sound a bit rubbish, especially in the bargain basement types. (in comparison to a good cable). They use a technique called 'companding' to help get a good strong signal from the transmitter to the receiver.

This means , that the signal is compressed by the transmitter (yup, like a normal compressor pedal for example) then the signal is shoved out the aerial. When the receiver picks up the signal, an 'expander' err 'uncompresses' the signal, in an effort to make it sound the same as the signal being fed into the transmitter. There are many reasons why this can be a bit hit and miss. Everything from quality of components, to just limitations in compreession/expansion can have an effect. There are good systems out there. There are also some pretty grim ones too. the choice seems to get lower if you use a B string.. and you may as well give up on em if you have an F# string lol lol!!

[quote name='dood' post='12009' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:21 PM']There's another reason why wireless systems *can* sound a bit rubbish, especially in the bargain basement types. (in comparison to a good cable). They use a technique called 'companding' to help get a good strong signal from the transmitter to the receiver.

This means , that the signal is compressed by the transmitter (yup, like a normal compressor pedal for example) then the signal is shoved out the aerial. When the receiver picks up the signal, an 'expander' err 'uncompresses' the signal, in an effort to make it sound the same as the signal being fed into the transmitter. There are many reasons why this can be a bit hit and miss. Everything from quality of components, to just limitations in compreession/expansion can have an effect. There are good systems out there. There are also some pretty grim ones too. the choice seems to get lower if you use a B string.. and you may as well give up on em if you have an F# string lol lol!![/quote]

FYI the new X2 doesn't have any companding in it so you might want to look into that mate especially with the 15hz freq response.

I also added ya just now on myspace.

i use the Nady VHF bass system mentioned before.

I find i get the EXACT same tone through this as with a good quality lead. I have never had any problems with it, and i regularly use it in halls with 500+ capacities. The sound guys are often that impressed with the signal that the EQ is switched out on the bass channel

Ive been using a AKG GuitarBug for about a year now and it works great with my Lakland 55-01. Even low B sounds clear.
There is a tone change from using a cable but its not noticeable at gigs and i have EQ to help if i need it.
The lows are boosted a bit and also the top end but thats correctable with EQ.
I can say that ive never had a drop out or interference with it in almost 50 gigs but i dont wander too far from the stage.
I did notice recently when i had my ear close up to the tweeter in my cab that there is extra hiss but again, i have not heard it from a standing position. Also this was when i was trying out my GK head with the highs turned up a bit.
The only downside i can see is that its only one channel and i have had to turn it off at two gigs otherwise it clashed with the DJ's mic.

And all for £99

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='12450' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:16 PM']Ive been using a AKG GuitarBug for about a year now and it works great with my Lakland 55-01. Even low B sounds clear.
There is a tone change from using a cable but its not noticeable at gigs and i have EQ to help if i need it.
The lows are boosted a bit and also the top end but thats correctable with EQ.
I can say that ive never had a drop out or interference with it in almost 50 gigs but i dont wander too far from the stage.
I did notice recently when i had my ear close up to the tweeter in my cab that there is extra hiss but again, i have not heard it from a standing position. Also this was when i was trying out my GK head with the highs turned up a bit.
The only downside i can see is that its only one channel and i have had to turn it off at two gigs otherwise it clashed with the DJ's mic.

And all for £99[/quote]

I to have 1 of these units and while the sound is excellent, if you are going to be running around stage like a nutter you might want to get something else, the amount of times the battery compartment has flown apart, or the bug it's self has decided to jump out of my guitar.

They are good units for a very low cost price, but after a while the build quality really shows, especially when you put strain on the jack when you pull it out. I've had mine for near 2 years and it still functions perfectly well but it's in my backup bass off stage to make bass changes quicker and I don't do lots of crazy stuff with it.

Cheers

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='12453' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:20 PM']I to have 1 of these units and while the sound is excellent, if you are going to be running around stage like a nutter you might want to get something else, the amount of times the battery compartment has flown apart, or the bug it's self has decided to jump out of my guitar.

Cheers[/quote]

Agreed.
I ended up using one of the small Velcro pads stuck on my bass near the jack socket. No problems any more.
I also use a small rubber band around the transmitter to stop the battery cover coming off.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='12459' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:24 PM']Agreed.
I ended up using one of the small Velcro pads stuck on my bass near the jack socket. No problems any more.
I also use a small rubber band around the transmitter to stop the battery cover coming off.[/quote]

I covered it up with electricians tape but I can't see the light now.

In terms of velcro on the bass I just didn't want to stick it to all my basses that I might use.

But they do sound great