Why become a member? ×

Dull E String?

Bass_Guardian

I've noticed twice now that when i change strings on a bass that the E string sounds dead and flat compared to other strings. Almost as if its being muted.

Yes i strung it the same way as the others strings.

No theres no foam of any sort on the basses.

Could it be the intonation or something???

Any ideas whats up???

Thanks

Alex :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1078454' date='Jan 5 2011, 12:22 PM']I've noticed twice now that when i change strings on a bass that the E string sounds dead and flat compared to other strings. Almost as if its being muted.

Yes i strung it the same way as the others strings.

No theres no foam of any sort on the basses.

Could it be the intonation or something???

Any ideas whats up???

Thanks

Alex :)[/quote]

I'm guessing but the bass might have had a heavier gauge on at some point and it's maybe worn away the nut enough for it to not seat the string properly. I've got a pbass copy with a brass nut that does the same.

Just a suggestion :)

I've had that a couple of times. Once it was a set of LaBella flats where the E string sounded dull and also looked different from the others, metal a bit darker, even the silk was darker. So I thought that string was probably from a different batch than the others. The other time it was just that the silk was on the bridge saddle. I've found this is common with Rotosound and a bit of hacking with a craft knife fixed it.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1078495' date='Jan 5 2011, 12:56 PM']I've had this with a few sets, and on guitars, it seems to be the G string doing it.

Check that the string is making contact with the nut properly.
Could also be the break angle between the nut and tuning post.[/quote]
A dogdey string, I've had it countless times, normally the cheaper strings tho, hartke strings do the same or they have a dead g string.

Wow, this is a can of worms eh? Is it like it all the way up the E string? or just open? and, is the bass active?

I would:

Unplug it and listen to it acoustically.

If it's noticeable still - can of worms, specially as you've had it with two sets of strings. If the pickups are too close then the magnetic pull will effect the string, the E is the biggest so will have most effect. Are they close to the strings?

If it's not noticeable acoustically then it must be an electrical/pickup issue...

Interesting..

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1078754' date='Jan 5 2011, 04:29 PM']I use the pickups as my thumb rest :)

They are all straight and not abnormal going over the pickups.

Pickups are nice and flat.

It was on two different basses i had the dull E problem.

The pickups are fairly close to the strings[/quote]

If it's on two different basses then it must either be whatever you're plugged into, leads or a dodgy batch of strings?? Mustn't it?

:)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1078754' date='Jan 5 2011, 04:29 PM']...It was on two different basses i had the dull E problem...[/quote]
Hmmmm that would make the common denomiator... you.
Are we talking finger style playing? If so do you change the angle you fingers pluck the E compare to the others? If we're talking slap style then I'm out of my depth. New thumb? :)

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1078779' date='Jan 5 2011, 04:53 PM']Its only with slap..

Ive just replaced the strings again and its fine now strange....

My slap is fine so it must just be my stringing technique haha[/quote]

I seem to remember reading something about it mattering how many winds you have round the post, though I've never noticed a difference.

Had this on a set of La Bella super steps.. and then the D string broke at the bridge.
First time I had broke a string in eons..and I means eons..I have only broken 3 in 35 yrs of playing. The set was only on 2 days

I put this down to a dodgy string so it doesn't auger well for this maker, AFAIAC. I will have to buy a single D, or write off the whole 5 str set.

Never had a problem with DR and a few others. Not happy