Why become a member? ×

Replacing pickups in Spector bass

benh

Hi all,

Just wondered what your thoughts were on the best pickup config for the EMG 40 range. Was thinking about getting a 40TW for the bridge and a 40J for the neck (to replace the mediocre 40HZs that are in it now).
Only problem is, the new EMGs use "Quik Connect" and I'm not sure if it'll be more trouble than it's worth connecting them to the existing preamp.

So would it be possible to leave out the preamp and just run the bass with the 2 active pickups? At least until I've saved up again for a decent EMG pre!

Do you think it'll be worth the £150+ that it'll probably cost?

Thanks in advance guys!

[quote name='benh' post='1080103' date='Jan 6 2011, 04:53 PM']Just wondered what your thoughts were on the best pickup config for the EMG 40 range. Was thinking about getting a 40TW for the bridge and a 40J for the neck (to replace the mediocre 40HZs that are in it now).
Only problem is, the new EMGs use "Quik Connect" and I'm not sure if it'll be more trouble than it's worth connecting them to the existing preamp.[/quote]
What you really need to do is decide what your final end game is.
If you plan on using an EMG pre in the future then you really don't want to be cutting the quick connectors off of the pups.
If it was me then I'd either buy the whole lot in one go or make a connector to fit the 'quick connectors' to the existing pre-amp - thus leaving the factory fitted connector in place to make the next phase of the overall upgrade easier.
Looking at the connectors I'm guessing that they will mate with these:
[url="http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0467560#header"]http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...=0467560#header[/url]

[quote name='benh' post='1080103' date='Jan 6 2011, 04:53 PM']So would it be possible to leave out the preamp and just run the bass with the 2 active pickups? At least until I've saved up again for a decent EMG pre![/quote]
If you're running active pups then a preamp really needs to figure somewhere in the equation.

[quote name='benh' post='1080103' date='Jan 6 2011, 04:53 PM']Do you think it'll be worth the £150+ that it'll probably cost?[/quote]
That's a tough one!
It really depends what it is you are looking for soundwise and what you think the limitations of your current setup are.

[quote name='icastle' post='1080155' date='Jan 6 2011, 05:26 PM']If you're running active pups then a preamp really needs to figure somewhere in the equation.[/quote]

Preamp doesn't NEED to be there - I have run 2x EMG-HB through a passive VVTT setup without problem - in fact that's how they're supplied, with a battery clip and a passive VT loom. However, an active EQ circuit is desirable to give you more control over the sound, but it's entirely optional.

I have two basses with EMGs - EMG40P and 40DC in one and EMG40CS and 40DC in the other - and both have EMG BQC preamps. I would most definitely say that it is worth it. I play in both a metal band and a rock/pop covers with the basses. I find that the onboard preamp is brilliant and I often gently touch the controls whilst playing.

It might be worth noting that I am swapping the 40CS for a 40P, so both will have P (neck) and DC (bridge). I think the 40P's growl and tone is better than the 40CS's smoother tone.

The quick-connect cable is (unless they have recently changed it) only for the actual pickup - the other end (which goes in your preamp) is still normal wire. If you buy used stuff, which I also recommend, you will definitely not have any trouble routing your EMGs through a preamp.

If you do get a 40TW, please drop me a line. I have two which I think are dead which I would like to have tested. Details [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116007"]here[/url].

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1080218' date='Jan 6 2011, 06:13 PM']If you do get a 40TW, please drop me a line. I have two which I think are dead which I would like to have tested. Details [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116007"]here[/url].[/quote]
Cheers, if I get one I'll let you know.

Thanks all for the replies, looks like I'll save a while longer and get the BQC system too then. My Spector has HZs in it at the moment, and although it's got an active preamp, it can sound pretty dull and lifeless (and yes I do change strings regularly!) I just want that bit more "oomph", and I'd rather drop a couple of hundred quid on a bass I love playing than spending probably more money on a different instrument. Although I do quite fancy a Warwick... but that's a thread for another day!

sorry to help the tangent - but i had a top of the line warwick infinity nt5 - my spector legend blows the tits off it except for the tone - so much easier to play, and thats the only warwick i've ever liked!

back to topic, hopefully be swapping my pickups soon, so i'll let you know about how it affects it - may just disconnect the eq altogether for starters and see what i think!