Why become a member? ×

Moffat Bass Bash 4

skelf

I've made every Moffat Bass Bash to date I think and this was brilliant, probably the best yet.

There were very many beautiful basses and well, where do you start? I tried a Dingwall (it had no dings) and was amazed at the ease of playing. 33" scale 5 string really works well too.

Outshined's basses are a personal take on things that I love. Neipheed's Victory was a great restoration. Some very beautiful basses, ACGs, Overwaters, Shukers, Statii even a Sue Ryder P, as well as a 'Pee' Bass.

Better than all the basses were the people who organised and attended, thank you all.

Peter

Some photo's from today.

[url="http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/euancollin/Music/Moffat%20Bass%20Day%2006_02_2011/"]Photobucket[/url] (fixed the link)

Glad I went, facinating to meet you all and see all those different instruments.
Wish I'd learnt those songs before stepping onto the stage! Think I managed to blag it?

This was my first Bass Bash and I'd like to thank the organisers for a good day, nice relaxed atmosphere, enjoyed Stevie Williams talking about his "Bass life", big thanks to the drummer and guitarist who put up with us all day!!.
Maybe next time I'll tag along for the curry.

Euan.

Edited by tinyviking

Just a quick post.

Jen (my better half) and I came home to find that the whole street had a power cut! Just got power back about 25 minutes ago. The curry by candlelight was nice though :)

Huge thanks to Alan & Dave for getting the day together and to everyone who attended for being so gracious in talking bass and letting me play their great basses.

Jen took some pics while we were there so I'll post those in due course.

So this was my second bash.

Man O man did my liver take a pounding. Im still not sure if ive sobered up yet!!!

Some seriously good times was had over the weekend and it was great seeing everyone again.

Managed to try a wide range of basses and finally managed to try a EUB, a fretless and a 5'er. It turns out im more suited to 4strings with frets :)

Dave and Alan did another bang up job in getting this arranged and even though im sure we all thanked them at the time, a massive well done is sent out again to you guys. Not forgetting Alans wife sorting out some lovely home cooking too (although I was a little too rough to try any).

You would think that after a weekend of bass I would come home and not even go near one,,,,,,,,,,,no chance, the Ric was amped up before I gave the family a kiss hello hahaha.

To everyone at the weekend, you guys rule and I hope to see everyone at the next one.

Cheers
Steven

Alas, another bass bash comes to an end. Not long back in the grey fortress of melancholy, gear's all packed away. Knackered, but happy.

Thanks to all who made it happen, and thanks to everyone for making it a fantastic weekend. Great basses in great company, doesn't get much better than that. Good to see familiar faces again and meet some new people.

I really enjoyed it, as did Mrs Zero. We took the rather sensible option of heading back to the hotel and bed after the curry, so we were moderately intact the following morning. Thanks to Alan, Mrs Skelf, and Pirate Perry for the organisation, and Stevie Williams for talking and playing, his identical twin brother Haydn for bringing a selection of nice skinny string instruments, and Chris May for bringing along all those Overwaters. Those Aspiration instruments look the business (and play well too). And, just in the interests of "other instruments are available", I had a play on a few ACGs and the asymmetric neck profile definitely works. A good job I have no money, really, it saves me having to make any decisions.

Edited by tauzero

The Moffat Bass Bash saw the first showing of the prototype filter pedal. We were looking for some feedback on the pedal and thanks to those that helped out with this.
Thanks to John East for putting it together for the Bash and to Paul Sugden for sorting out the graphics.
Still work to be done regarding the feature set and some fine tuning for the graphics but all going in the right direction.

Made it at the last minute thinking it was fully booked. Duh !!! that was only the B&B.

Bass bash virgin so didn't know what to expect.
Had a great day out, saw lots of nice basses and listened to some really talented players.

Steve Williams is so laid back he just puts you at ease. What an amazing guy.
Liked the idea of talking to the audience rather than just playing. Really gets you into what he does.
Lace the talking with a few little grooves, licks and frills and you've got an hour of pure entertainment.
Thought my wife might get bored but no - she found Steve very easy to listen to and extremely entertaining.

All in all a great day out.

Hopefully I will manage the Sat night next year as sounds like it was a good night.

Thanks
Dave
:)

[quote name='steve' post='1119326' date='Feb 7 2011, 07:38 PM']still naffed of I couldn't make it, sounds like it was another great do, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics[/quote]

It was a great weekend Steve, bloody shame you could not get up :)

We didn't manage to replace your place, but I did manage to have a few beers on your behalf....All Hail the Ale.....three cheers for the beer...etc :)

Top, top weekend.

Great to meet some new faces....

[quote name='skelf' post='1119106' date='Feb 7 2011, 05:02 PM']The Moffat Bass Bash saw the first showing of the prototype filter pedal. We were looking for some feedback on the pedal and thanks to those that helped out with this.
Thanks to John East for putting it together for the Bash and to Paul Sugden for sorting out the graphics.
Still work to be done regarding the feature set and some fine tuning for the graphics but all going in the right direction.

[/quote]

Looks like a quality piece of kit.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1118454' date='Feb 6 2011, 11:55 PM']Great basses in great company, doesn't get much better than that. Good to see familiar faces again and meet some new people.[/quote]
Great quote to sum up what looks like a great day! That filter pedal looks nice too...

I've managed to make a slideshow on Photobucket. Lots more photos there.

[url="http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/sevenstringbassist/Moffat%20Bassbash%20070211/?action=view&current=143a2403.pbw"]Moffat Bassbash 4 slideshow[/url]

I'll have to work out how to get everything full screen later!

Edited by 7string

Finally got a few minutes to post some stuff...!!

First thing I have to say is a [i]massive [/i]thanks to Alan for putting this on. I dont want to be taking any credit for messing with a few emails and putting a few lists together. Alan does all the real work :) I am also sending a massive cyber hug to Lynnie for the cakes and biscuits...Mmmmmmm ....thanks Darlin

Ok dokey.....

On with the show...

Here is the interesting stuff straight from the start....Everybody, and I do mean everybody who comes down, feels to me like guys who I have known for a long time. I am pretty sure that I could say that everybody who comes along for the Sat night stay over has a good laugh...I dont think I stopped laughing from the moment I get there till I got home....

I got there for about 4pm, and unfortunately had to start drinking in the bar....

Much drinking and laughing was the order of the day at the Balmoral until around 9pm when we headed off to the curry....

Bloody great meal. I think we pretty much took over the entire restaurant.#

After the Cobra had been ordered, poppadoms arrived....followed by a full Indian banquet of mixed starters, and mains.....Wonderful. I think it worked really well as we all had a fair bit of choice. I for one was nicely stuffed with food and beer...

(Dave P now swiftly moves on as he does not want any more mention of this part of the evening....Alan...your numbers up soon....)

After the curry, back to the Balmoral for a swift Whisky / beer...and then off for a bit of cottaging.....and drinking until 3ish (I think).....

Special attention must be made of Ewan at this point.....he was mullered, shitfaced...very drunk, a we bit over the edge....It was great watching him trying to plug a lead into his combo...... You Sir are a star....I believe they kept playing bass until 4 in the morning.....

Steven (munkonthill) provided us all with great entertainment as he brought along a Rick (KAY) 4001 copy that (he thinks) is original....poor misguided fool...:lol: (actually, it was one of the nicest looking Ricks I had seen - but dont tell him I think that.... )

Breakfast in the Balmoral was Ace...full dirt fry up....and then it was off to the hall to help Alan set a few things up...

I think the layout worked out really well this time. We had a good sized room upstairs for most of the basses that people brought along.

These photos show a clear central bit of floor....It disappeared and got covered in more bass exotica after I took these shots....:eek:

The entrance lobby seating area was put aside for Chris May from Overwater, and Haden williams.

John Shuker didn't make it down unfortunately, but in all honesty I would have no idea where he could have gone as the place was pretty full (and I would be dammed if we would move the cakes and biscuits to allow a few more basses..... :D )

The Main hall was once again set up for the amps and cabs, and we had a great mixture of stuff to try out.

I will bang some more photos up in the next post but I would like to mention this first:-

Shaun, was the guitar hero from last year, and was going to be doing the same this year..... He is such a top guy, an enormously funny chap, and a great player. Unfortunately (massive understatement ...) He has just had to start a series of Chemotherapy.....he had his first session last week....He still wanted to come down to the Curry night.....:P

Shaun had arranged for his Son, Tony to come down and play guitar at the last minute for him on the Sunday (and he did a great Job, cheers pal :lol: ). But The highlight for me personally was walking in after lunch and finding Shaun stood on stage Jamming along with Ewan, kicking out a funky version of some Hendrix tune....It was awesome, and just great to see and hear him again....My heart felt best wishes - get well soon pal :)

Will post some more photos of the rest of the motley crue next....

More photos.....

David (mottlefeeder) and Mike (Tauzero) with the EUB's

Owain looking very much the part on Alpha Dave's Warwick....

And Alpha Dave...

Enter the Spartan warriors......:)

Mark (7 string) playing his ACG 9 string monster through that lovely TC 2x10 combo....

Ewan, Shaun and Bertie funking it out (how Ewan kept his sh*t together after Sat is beyond me.....)

Ewan [i]possibly [/i]looks like he was about to hurl here......:)

Any body want to buy a neck...one careful owner....

Mike (Tauzero) on guitar duty for a few tunes and Tony (Shaun's Lad) having a bash on drums.

My Pal Stuart on bass with Mike and Bertie....

And one of Bertie....

I had a bloody great time.....:)

I enjoyed Stevie Williams...if ever you meet somebody more laid back....well I genuinely dont think that's possible. He provided an interesting and amusing session, mainly talking about the Music business, his experiences and did some very tasty little bits of playing....very nice.

I had a great time testing out a few bits of kit, road testing the three way fecker again. Lots of great sounding cabs. I dont think there was a single cab that I tried that I didn't think sounded great (you would have to be a bit of Muppet to make something that you cant get a great sound out of nowadays)

The Hartke and Tech cabs sounded very nice.....

Peters 2x12 sounded great and is [i]stupid [/i]light :lol:

I have always loved Rich's Mark bass 4x10, great cab...

I have just realised I didn't get to try out the Mark bass combo or the TC combo....great big fat hairy arse's....:) - next time then...:D

Owain brought along a Phil Jones little combo, I tried it out at low level and it was very, very nice indeed....:cool:

All in all...a bloody top day and a really great Saturday night !!!

Dave