Why become a member? ×

Where to get Bass setup in Surrey area??

Linus27

Hi,

I need to get my bass setup and maybe the pickup changed on it. Does anyone know of anyone good in the Surrey area, around Camberley/Guildford area?? I saw this chap Joe White 01252 520911 www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk Farnborough but have never heard of him and no idea if he is any good.

Thanks for any help.

Joe is excellent. He's well respected and trusted by a large number of my fellow musicians in the area, both semi-pro and professional. As far as cost goes, you get what you pay for.

I won't let anyone else touch my instruments.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='123615' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:20 AM']Andertons in Guildford is probably the best place I've used. That Joe White asks for about 90 quid for a set-up which is double what Andertons charge.[/quote]

Thanks, I thought about them but was worried that they might not be very good. I might give them a try on one of my cheaper basses and see what they are like.

[quote name='obbm' post='123647' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:31 AM']you get what you pay for.[/quote]
I'm sure you're right and he's brilliant. But it's still a lot of money for what is essentially a simple job. It's just under a third of the cost of my gigging bass! The tech at Andertons seems very good and charges £35ph. Did a nice job on my Stingray - he also oiled the fretboard and cleaned it too (neither of which I'd asked for). Not knocking your guy - just the economics. It's like paying £3000 to have a hatchback serviced. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

It's not about paying over the odds, it's all about how far out of adjustment it is and whether you want a very personal service. If it's a simple set-up then why not learn to do it yourself and save your money. It's not difficult. I now set all of mine up now however if there is a difficult problem then I take it to Joe.

For example when I bought a brand new Bongo 5 from the USA it arrived with a banana shaped neck and uneven frets. There was no way I could do anything with it so I took it to Joe. He put it in his jig and started completely from scratch and did a total set-up which included leveling the frets, truss-rod, neck, string height and finally a personal adjustment having analysed my playing style, all included in the standard set-up price. It was magic to play and still was when I sold it on to another Forum member.

• 14 years later...
On 21/01/2008 at 14:03, Bassmouseman said:

[quote name='Hamster' post='124000' date='Jan 20 2008, 06:02 PM']I've used both Joe White and Ben Fleetcroft in Godalming and can recommend them both.

Hamster[/quote]

I use Ben Fleetcroft in Godalming for my basses and amps and he always does an excellent job!

.....but did Ben move to Canada some years ago?