Why become a member? ×

Cocky Guitarst, I need 200 songs

dazco

Hi guys

I have been playing bass for about 6 months.We formed a VERY informal band and because we could all affoed it, and had the time, we started a group.

The problem is that the group consists of work collegues. that should not be a problem normally but I am getting flak from the one guitarist, who started learning at the same time as me, that because I am not up to "his" standard The band should be dis banded.

The company ranking goes as such.

Drummer, the company boss, without a musical nounce in his body. But is listening to this guitarist and blaming me for the breakup of a band.

The guitarist keeps suggesting, and learning, "easy" songs, and has quite a library of well known songs. This is not done intentionaly, but please remember the boss is the drummer.

My fellow band members have very little idea of what constitutes a band, and (unknowingly) will pick a song that is very hard for me to play. Then I look stupid.

the who is an example that I can give.

I have tried to explain to my drummer, who is the center of influence, that this man learns songs that are easy to play on the guitar but are very hard for a beginer to play on bass.

He thinks the sun shines out of his rectum and I try to tell him.....If the song is a classic, either the guitar is easy or the bass is easy. But never both.

I have posted on here previously, I had a Warwick bass, which I have now sold and am now looking for a Rick.

What I would like from you boys is 200 songs where the Bass is a lot less difficult than guitar.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for your predicament but TWO HUNDRED SONGS?!

How about just a few songs where the bassline sounds cool but is fairly easy to play?

1. Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group
2. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
3. White Room - Cream

The real question is why you'd want to salvage a band with a pair of tw@s.

[quote name='dazco' post='123637' date='Jan 20 2008, 05:12 AM']Hi guys

I have been playing bass for about 6 months.We formed a VERY informal band and because we could all affoed it, and had the time, we started a group.

The problem is that the group consists of work collegues. that should not be a problem normally but I am getting flak from the one guitarist, who started learning at the same time as me, that because I am not up to "his" standard The band should be dis banded.

Drummer, the company boss, without a musical nounce in his body. But is listening to this guitarist and blaming me for the breakup of a band.

The guitarist keeps suggesting, and learning, "easy" songs, and has quite a library of well known songs. This is not done intentionaly, but please remember the boss is the drummer.

My fellow band members have very little idea of what constitutes a band, and (unknowingly) will pick a song that is very hard for me to play. Then I look stupid.

I have tried to explain to my drummer, who is the center of influence, that this man learns songs that are easy to play on the guitar but are very hard for a beginer to play on bass.

He thinks the sun shines out of his rectum and I try to tell him.....If the song is a classic, either the guitar is easy or the bass is easy. But never both.

I have posted on here previously, I had a Warwick bass, which I have now sold and am now looking for a Rick.

What I would like from you boys is 200 songs where the Bass is a lot less difficult than guitar.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Wow..your guitarist sounds immensely cocky..lol it's not reli how much you know of other songs that makes you a great players, its your character reli, presence, style..etc etc & if you make the effort to create your own material.

lol..Indie through the years Has reli simple basslines, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys..so try a handfull at that.

Some Led Zeppelin lines are somewhat easy..

You reli have to give us some bands and we can mention songs by them that have the easy basslines :)

EDIT: +1 for The Funks Comment, why bother staying?

Edited by Pedro1020

Very easy mate.

Leave.

A band has to be fun to be in, or you won’t progress as a musician. Now that you have got the bug of being in a band, you need to scour the local press, adds in music shops and find a group of musicians that like playing the kind of music you like, and are just a bit better than you so you learn but are not too intimidating.

Don’t let leaving a band because you are scared that you wont find another one stop you. You can always start your own and you can always line up something else before you leave.

New musicians have to be nurtured. It’s a scary time when you start out but the best thing you’ll ever do in your life. Anyone that acts as it seems your guitarist has is not a musician in my opinion. He’s a w***er.

A band can only progress as a unit at the speed of the most inexperienced person and it’s the job of the most experienced to help the rest learn and progress. If all he wants to do is throw his weight around and play god, it’s the wrong band, not withstanding the fact that being in a work band , if it goes wrong, can damage your relationships at work.

If you do decide to leave, don’t go in all guns blazing. Be the adult in the situation. Have a quiet word with them and explain truthfully and succinctly how you feel. If the manager has any management skills at all he’ll understand and the guitarist will look bad, not you. If he hasn’t, your better out of it anyway.

Good luck.

Given the work-related bit of your problem, I can see why just walking out on the band might be a problem.

So ... 200 songs? Easy.

The bassline CAN be easier than the guitar part on EVERY song, just like it can also be harder.

Forget about what Flea played, or Sting played, or McCartney played. You're not Flea, or Sting, or Macca. Just play what you feel comfortable with and concentrate on the [i]feel[/i] and the [i]timing[/i] rather than on making a slavish copy of someone else's playing.

I picked up a bass for the first time just two years ago. I've spent much of the last eight months going to jam sessions, getting up on stage ready to play literally whatever gets called. Potentially, that's not 200 songs, it's more like 200,000!

I'm not fussed about "knowing the bassline" to all those songs. I'm far more interested in playing my own basslines to them all. Sometimes I get it right, too. :)

If you play what feels right to you, and remind the drummer (stuff the guitarist!) from time to time that you're a beginner, you shouldn't have a problem and you'll enjoy playing a lot more.

Good luck & keep us posted.

I'd look for another band personally. I've been in similar position and just didn't have time for people being picky about how I interpreted a bass line. Don't get me wrong constructive critasisum can be a good thing, we do it all the time. When someone starts slating you it becomes personal and unprofessional. If you do leave you could say it's down to the guitarists attitude towards you. As you all work together you could find it spilling over into the work place, which could have other implications. Either way just practice hard, maybe get a tutor (if you havn't already).

A couple songs to try are:-

Out in the fields- Gary Moore
Fairly basic bass line but it does drive the song whilst the guitar does all the noodling and a very good solo.

Rock 'n' roll- Led Zep
Again a driving almost 12 bar blues bass line and the guitar is very busy.

[quote name='ahpook' post='123680' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:39 AM']i'd say the same...it seems like the fact you work together is getting in the way of you enjoying playing bass.[/quote]

It's peeving me about this over egotistical guitarist..I've had to work with quite a full which resulted in me (at the time) chucking my guitar down and walking out. But not the rational way.

First talk to the leader, if the message doesnt get thru..part ways.

Get the Guitarist Fired from work...its a longshot :) (jokes) but it might work...teach a lesson? dont show up bass players? esp if they put all the effort in.

[quote name='ahpook' post='123680' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:39 AM']i'd say the same...it seems like the fact you work together is getting in the way of you enjoying playing bass.[/quote]

+1 It looks like your work dynamic has carried over into the band. Explain to your boss that in a band situation it`s quite acceptable to throw heavey things at your drummer! The guitarist sounds like a creepy brownose as well.....

Get rid and enjoy your playing with like minded people :)

Dave

Sounds like a school band! If it's purely a bit of fun, don't get worked up about it. Just simplify the basslines so you can play them rather than learn note for note from the record. Bring some tabs in of songs you know (and the guitarist doesn't) and suggest them at the rehearsal. Give him the print out of the chords/tabs and watch him struggle to learn on the spot. :)

200 Songs!!!??. Seems a tad excessive. Our set lists (and sadly they haven't changed that much in 3 years) constitute no more than 100 songs - with the jam night stuff I do I could add maybe another 50 which I most definately blag.

Ok, I'd stick to generic rock and roll and blues to make up the numbers in your case, you can basically play what you like to a lot of this (assuming you stay in the basic chord pattern) and no one will know any different. Most people don't notice the bass anyhow unless it's a well known line (e.g. Money, The Chain etc).

Good luck with it, but as with the responses above - if it aint fun then bin it, it really isn't worth the hassle and may put you off music for life.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='123671' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:25 AM']Given the work-related bit of your problem, I can see why just walking out on the band might be a problem.

So ... 200 songs? Easy.

The bassline CAN be easier than the guitar part on EVERY song, just like it can also be harder.

Forget about what Flea played, or Sting played, or McCartney played. You're not Flea, or Sting, or Macca. Just play what you feel comfortable with and concentrate on the [i]feel[/i] and the [i]timing[/i] rather than on making a slavish copy of someone else's playing.

I picked up a bass for the first time just two years ago. I've spent much of the last eight months going to jam sessions, getting up on stage ready to play literally whatever gets called. Potentially, that's not 200 songs, it's more like 200,000!

I'm not fussed about "knowing the bassline" to all those songs. I'm far more interested in playing my own basslines to them all. Sometimes I get it right, too. :)

If you play what feels right to you, and remind the drummer (stuff the guitarist!) from time to time that you're a beginner, you shouldn't have a problem and you'll enjoy playing a lot more.

Good luck & keep us posted.[/quote]
+1 A more useful skill than adding a mere 200 songs to your repertoire is learning how to play your own bass line to a song to which you only know the chord changes or indeed improvising something as you listen - if you audition for another band (which sounds like a good idea...), that'll be what you need to do - learn songs on the spot, adding your own little flourish as you do... but don't worry about the flourishing for now; just concentrate on how to play a song without knoing what the bass line sounds like! The only time this doesn't apply is when the bass line is one which everyone recognises, and these are rarely difficult - it's still worth having a look at some of them, though - the best songs to be able to play are surely those in which the bass gets a bit of recognition from the audience! Anyway, the thing about the actual bass line on the record is that it's just what one bassist decided to play for that particular song, meaning that it's a useful pointer for what you COULD play; not something you have to copy exactly!

Another thing, if it's an informal band what is the probem if your not up to speed?. Obviosly I don't know any of you, but from what you've written it sounds like your guitarist is suffering delusions of grandeur. Perhaps he wants to leave and doesn't want to get on the wrong side of the boss thus blaming someone else (you) for the split. You could suggest if he wants to leave he can but you are willing to keep playing. I would still look for another group of people to jam with though.

Hmmm, ok heres some from my library of 139 songs lol (cant PLAY them all btw)

Megadeth :) watch him squirm then :huh:

Another day by dream theater haha

ACDC

Led zep (as previously posted)

Dream on - Aerosmith

Theyre all pretty gud songs too

From megadeth definatley chuck him a toute le monde, my personal fave

I guess that the last thing you wanna hear is, "Leave the band"

Most of the replies are saying that. I am sorry to say that I also agree mate.

It is scary starting out with new faces and when you're quite new with any instrument.

I'm not very experienced but most of the other members on here are, looks like you should bite the bullet and got for it.

Hope all goes well.

[quote name='dazco' post='123637' date='Jan 20 2008, 05:12 AM']What I would like from you boys is 200 songs where the Bass is a lot less difficult than guitar.[/quote]
Everything by U2. That must be 100+.

But you'll be better off leaving.

Never a good idea to mix work and pleasure, especially with the boss. He'll never just be the drummer in the band, he'll always be the boss to the rest of you (however much he thinks he isn't). That means that you can't just be yourself and enjoy it because you'll always be conscious (or subconscious) of having to work with these people come Monday morning.

Suggest that you quietly head for the exit whilst not burning any bridges (still need to pay the rent/mortgage after all)

So guitrist is saying that the band should [i]split [/i]because you, the bassist, aren't googd enough?

Surely most bands, if they have a member who's not up to scratch would look at getting a bassist who is good enough rather than split up.

It sounds to me like the guitarist wants out (possibly because he thinks he's too good to play with you lot) but doesn't want to have to say this to the boss so is making you a scapegoat. Were it not for the fact that it is a work related band, I would not hesitate at all to say that you should just leave and let them get on with it as they sound like a couple of dickheads.

Perhaps the compromise answer for you would be to say to all the band, i.e. not just the drummer boss or guitarist individually, that rather than split up, they should be looking for another bassist and that you will tough it out until they find one but only on the condition that they understand that your level of ability and experience restricts the kind of songs you can accurately reproduce the originally recorded basslines for.

Personally, I would never think of learning 200 songs in one hit unless I'd just got off the phone from someone like Springsteen who was personally inviting me to play bass on an 18 month world tour and asking could I get up to speed with the back catalogue as rehearsals start next week.

At the end of the day being in a band is supposed to be fun for the most part and you don't sound like you're having much. You sound like you are realistic about the level of your ability although a little green when you make a statement like "I try to tell him.....If the song is a classic, either the guitar is easy or the bass is easy. But never both." remember that, "Easy" is an enitirely subjective term - what's easy for one person may be a nightmare for others - and I'm sure there's plenty of classic songs that have what many would consider relatively complex bass and guitar parts.

You shouldn't have to feel the way you are feeling when it comes to being in a band and you don't have to. That's the ultimate thing to remember. Avoid making band decisions or having band discussions even with individual members. When they're all together, get their attention, say your piece without being confrontational toward the guitarist and leave the door open for the band as a whole to make a decision as to whether they are more understanding and stick with you as the bass player or go another way. If you do that, at least you can't be blamed by anyone with a brain in their head.

The bassline on Stairway to Heaven can be very minimalist if you want, which cannot be said about the guitar part. Tell the guitarist you wan to do that, see if he's up to it. Hey Joe is also a pretty straightforward thing to learn.

Try printing some chord charts from www.chordie.com (songs you like), and play along with the song, I find that a good way to learn new things, and you improvise and add your own twiddles as you leasrn them.

Failing all that, find a jam night somewhere close to you, go and enjoy the experience. Music should be enjoyed, if you don't enjoy it, make your apologies and leave in a civilised manner.

Steve

[quote name='dazco' post='123637' date='Jan 20 2008, 05:12 AM']Hi guys

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Yo Dazco,

Id have twatted him an left the band. LOL

Some good advice on here a few +1's from me.

Unfortunately the hardest part of being a regular muso has less to do with your playing ability than youd think, its more about getting the right chemistry with the band in amongst all the politics. This sounds like it can only get worse unless there is a compromise from the "main men". Dont take it personally, as youve mentioned earlier, you are realistic about your strengths and weakneses. Some people just cant get their head out of their arse for long enough to analyse their own issues!!

Twat him anyway :)

LOL, not that Im inciting violence you understand.

But seriously think about finding a new band, its meant to be fun!!!!!

Good luck

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake