Why become a member? ×

Basses on the Shop Floor.

yorks5stringer

Went into a well known "Guitarx2" shop in Newcastle yesterday, fancied one of those White Squier Active 5 Strings they had in stock.

I always ask if I can try out a Bass, never just pick it up, that was no problem and they asked me to take of my jacket ( which had no zips on) which I thought was a bit daft as my belt buckle was then more exposed!

Anyway the bass was surprise surprise well set up, almost in tune although it was a struggle to hear it over the guitarist around the corner ( well it was Saturday afternoon) and I only had the amp on low volume.

Had a good look at the bass as I'd decided to buy it and the back of it was quite badly scratched already, not just on the surface but ones you could feel were quite deep. I pointed this out to the young sales assistant, he insisted they would polish out, I pointed out that they were too deep for that. He said he would look to see if they had another boxed one in stock, but they did not.

I suggested paying £200 cash for a bass priced on the floor for £229 given its scratched condition, which was rejected, so I left and they did not make a sale.

I guess a shop always has to have items on display otherwise no-one would come in, and these are bound to get scratched/damaged but a bit surprised they would not budge on the price.

Anyone else had a similar experience to me on this type of issue?

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='123944' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:50 PM']Went into a well known "Guitarx2" shop in Newcastle yesterday, fancied one of those White Squier Active 5 Strings they had in stock.

I always ask if I can try out a Bass, never just pick it up, that was no problem and they asked me to take of my jacket ( which had no zips on) which I thought was a bit daft as my belt buckle was then more exposed!

Anyway the bass was surprise surprise well set up, almost in tune although it was a struggle to hear it over the guitarist around the corner ( well it was Saturday afternoon) and I only had the amp on low volume.

Had a good look at the bass as I'd decided to buy it and the back of it was quite badly scratched already, not just on the surface but ones you could feel were quite deep. I pointed this out to the young sales assistant, he insisted they would polish out, I pointed out that they were too deep for that. He said he would look to see if they had another boxed one in stock, but they did not.

I suggested paying £200 cash for a bass priced on the floor for £229 given its scratched condition, which was rejected, so I left and they did not make a sale.

I guess a shop always has to have items on display otherwise no-one would come in, and these are bound to get scratched/damaged but a bit surprised they would not budge on the price.

Anyone else had a similar experience to me on this type of isse?[/quote]

lol That same act has happened to me,

Ages ago when I was growing into bass I was looking into a Warwick, corvette was on my mind.

I walk in, see a nice ash one on sale, 5 stringer and all plus natural finish I couldn't help myself but to have ago.
It sounded fine, was allowed to go into a practise room and through an ashdown amp these sound pretty punchy.

I take a glance round and notice slight scratches into the wood..and a ding centred near the back.
This made me wonder if I wanted to buy this they would have another..unfortunately like most shops they only stock one unless you wait ages to order one. So I confronted the sales man who was pretty nice and helpful altho I think when I mentioned it..defence kicked in.

He began denying its been a demo for long..and mentioned custom shop constantly...I DIDN'T CARE..I just wanted that one, there, then, today.

Cheeky as it is, I asked for a little off to compensate..he wouldn't budge...and went off to another customer...to now I still see it..but I think its gained more playing attribute in looks...more dings :)

You can't beat a sales person...they (the shop) needs profits..I guess thats why whatever they have..unless its second hand, they wont knock the price down...to them its still new, cos it hasnt left the shop.

Ahh well, Im happy with the Warwick I got now, cheaper and immensely better

In all fairness, while I don't know SC's guidlines, discounts in my old retail place when selling damged/opened goods required a supervisor or above to swipe for authorisation as it was deemed sales staff might abuse it, give it inappropriatly etc...

Maybe they're just plain not allowed unless it's really bad?

Edited by Buzz

I bought my Marcus Miller Jazz earlier this year from Sound Control.

They'd got it in for me as they didn't have one in stock. I liked it, decided I was having it.....as long as they price matched The Bass Centre. They were gobsmacked when I told them how much less it was there. So taking into account delivery costs from London, etc., we agreed a deal and I walked out happy.

If they hadn't have done any deal, I'd have just walked out and ordered it straight from The Bass Centre. I can't believe that any business worth its salt, regardless of how big or small isn't prepared to see some sort of deal go through....firstly, to get get the cash, and secondly to uphold customer satisfaction and possibly loyalty.

I know shops have to make margins but a bass hanging on the wall is not making them money, quite the reverse. So if you offer them a sensible figure you would think they were happy to turn it into cash in the till. I happen to know the one I was looking at has been in stock for at least 3 months.
Worst thing is someone else will come along and buy it not noticing the scratches and pay full price.

[quote name='ARGH' post='124079' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:01 PM']One shop in Leeds price up they're stuff so when you ask for the discount..its stock price.[/quote]
Come on then, name & shame. Or at least PM me.
Everyone should know about shops like this, so they can at least get a bass for it's normal price.

[quote]well known "Guitarx2" shop in Newcastle[/quote]

Ha!
When I went there last they had a sunburst Marcus Miller hanging on the wall. There was a note wedged between the strings which said something along the lines of " feel me play me but if you break me you'll pay for me". I'm sorry but if that was a half arsed attempt at a disclaimer to get people to pay for damages it failed. Firstly the shop should have some sort of insurance for damages/breakages and Second if your going to have a sign it has to be a certain size in plain english placed where everyone can see it, preferably on the door as you walk in. So I don't think a riddle writen in felt tip on a postcard would stand up in court (if it got that far).

I used to do deals on stuff that had been out a while, makes perfect sense to do it if you ask me, like someone said it becomes 'dead' stock otherwise.
I was actively encouraged by my managers to work out deals if the customer has enough sense to ask - you would be suprised at the amount of people who walk in, see something - dont try it out and pay full whack for it.

Shame our managers then whacked all the interest and profit into our sister store which was doing terrible in comparison to us and then shut us down!

I was very pleasantly surprised in this respect during my visit in early December to Sound Control, Leeds City. I bought an Ashdown MAG head for use as a mini rig with my 'top' MarkBass cab & with no prompting it was reduced from £240 to £210. It was a case of, "Let's see what we can do for you today..." Obviously, the guy knew I was a pro, but that in itself shouldn't make any difference. I'd certainly hope they treat all players/customers with the same excellent service. I'll definitely be going back there in the near future!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='123944' date='Jan 20 2008, 04:50 PM']I guess a shop always has to have items on display otherwise no-one would come in, and these are bound to get scratched/damaged but a bit surprised they would not budge on the price.

Anyone else had a similar experience to me on this type of issue?[/quote]
Sound Control in Brum have exactly the reverse system - there was a section where instruments that had either been hanging around for a long time or had damage to them were put for people to make offers on them. Got a slightly scratched Squier Precision Special 5-string from them for a fair bit off. They had other stuff like effects and amps in there too. I'm not sure whether everything's been sold from there now or if the section has been moved, didn't see it last time I was in.