Why become a member? ×

Ebay links forum

Kiwi

[quote name='setekh' post='1101282' date='Jan 24 2011, 08:02 PM']The fact that the evil newbies who join to sell are nothing if not beneficial to the forum is something that flies over many heads around these parts, I agree.[/quote]
Well, it may or may not be beneficial to the forum depending on what's being sold, on whether it's appropriately described, and on whether it's appropriately priced ... and in so far as anyone benefits the seller benefits too from a free ad and possibly a sale with no required commission.

Anyway, I don't think anyone called the newbies evil, just a hint that there might be an element of freeloading in some cases.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1101291' date='Jan 24 2011, 08:10 PM']Well, it may or may not be beneficial to the forum depending on what's being sold, on whether it's appropriately described, and on whether it's appropriately priced ... and in so far as anyone benefits the seller benefits too from a free ad and possibly a sale with no required commission.

Anyway, I don't think anyone called the newbies evil, just a hint that there might be an element of freeloading in some cases.[/quote]
You're discussing benefits to the forum users. I am not disputing whether prices are accurate or the people genuine. I am talking along the lines of exposure, ad revenue and potential new contributors.

Just a hint? Come on, claims to ban the newbies from the marketplace are not exactly uncommon.

• 2 weeks later...

No disrespect to this guy who joined yesterday (especially as one of our own may be after what he is selling and it may strengthen the case for allowing newbies to post on eBay section) but can someone clarify what is actually going on! New members are joining and posting links to eBay auctions in the for sale section, these are then subsequently getting moved by Mods to the eBay section... I thought that it had been discussed/decided earlier that 'eBay Links' WASN'T for personal sales and if it is then it wasn't available to newbies! Colour me confused. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121670"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121670[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

The clue's in the forum sub-title: "This forum is for the discussion of Ebay auctions. Please do not promote your own auctions. If you have something to sell, please use the For Sale forums."

But as people apparently aren't reading this, perhaps the title should be changed to make this clearer, e.g. [b]eBay Discussion[/b]

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='tauzero' post='1135677' date='Feb 21 2011, 04:01 PM']They'd still ignore it. Are any mods actually reading this thread? Perhaps any mods who move auction threads from "For sale" to "Ebay links" could be pointed at this thread?[/quote]
How many of these threads have you reported ? Using this function will alert moderators to any offending posts.

[quote name='Machines' post='1135789' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:10 PM']How many of these threads have you reported ? Using this function will alert moderators to any offending posts.[/quote]

Not being funny but does that mean that Mods want members to grass up any offending threads? Sorry if 'grass up' seems a bit melodramatic! :)

To do this is there a button to hit to report those members flogging their eBay items and is that really what you want members doing?

[quote name='Machines' post='1135789' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:10 PM']How many of these threads have you reported ? Using this function will alert moderators to any offending posts.[/quote]
None. However, I have noticed threads apparently being moved into "Ebay links" from "For sale" when they were advertisements for auctions.

I have suggested earlier in this thread that the rules in "For sale" are amended slightly so that items must

a ) have a price

[b]OR[/b]

b ) be for trade only

[b]OR[/b]

c ) be for an auction on a known auction site

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1135806' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:16 PM']Not being funny but does that mean that Mods want members to grass up any offending threads? Sorry if 'grass up' seems a bit melodramatic! :)

To do this is there a button to hit to report those members flogging their eBay items and is that really what you want members doing?[/quote]
To try and draw a parallel, do you call the Police if someone is mugging an old lady outside your house or expect them to be driving past and stop it ?

The severity of the situation is obviously drastically different, but the principle is that we can't possibly keep an eye on everything. The report function is both an 'emergency' (e.g phishing/spam) and also minor problem reporting function (thread in wrong forum). We don't see anyone as 'grassing up' people, just helping keep the forum tidy and for the function it was intended for.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1138550' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:44 PM']So I reported two of them and was told thatn they were in the right place because they were for Ebay auctions. Can the mods please sort out WTF Ebay links are for, because it's certainly not what the subtitle says it's for.[/quote]

I'd like this clarified as I've ran ebay auctions of my gear recently and due to the statement that it wasn't for members to advertise their auctions, I haven't put threads up! Seems a bit of a farce if new members come on and do it with impunity and in some cases actually have mods move their ebay auction threads from other parts of the site to the ebay section, yet a long standing member abides by the rules. If it is a free for all and we can advertise our ebay auctions without fear of a slap on the wrist then I'd like to know for next time. :)

Guys, before any of you start to sound a little TOO impatient, please remember the moderators are volunteers who have lives outside the web (except Dood) so just relax a little bit and we will get round to something in the end.

ped

[quote name='Machines' post='1136707' date='Feb 22 2011, 08:29 AM']To try and draw a parallel, do you call the Police if someone is mugging an old lady outside your house or expect them to be driving past and stop it ?[/quote]

[quote name='tauzero' post='1137438' date='Feb 22 2011, 06:28 PM']I wouldn't expect the police to take the old lady to the mugger...[/quote]

You gotta admit, that is a classic response :)

IIRC it was my suggestion that we have this forum, and I think it was simply to highlight good deals in a cooperative manner (" e.g., I don't want that '64 Precision BIN at £1000 but another BCer might". It then became more of a 'this guy's an idiot for wanting that much cash', which was inevitable, and now it's become a form of free ad for eBay listing, which I guess was also inevitable. Ped, I get the feeling that enforcing rules around this forum will be like herding cats to be honest. I can't really see any objection to new members joining BC just to post here, they're doing us a favour in many respects. Also, as long as understand that other members might feel free to criticise the listing in a manner that is discouraged in the For Sale forums, we get to have some listing baiting fun like the old days :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138631' date='Feb 23 2011, 02:40 PM']I'd like this clarified as I've ran ebay auctions of my gear recently and due to the statement that it wasn't for members to advertise their auctions, I haven't put threads up! Seems a bit of a farce if new members come on and do it with impunity and in some cases actually have mods move their ebay auction threads from other parts of the site to the ebay section, yet a long standing member abides by the rules. If it is a free for all and we can advertise our ebay auctions without fear of a slap on the wrist then I'd like to know for next time. :)[/quote]
You can always circumvent the problem and advertise your gear in the For sale sections with a price in mind and a link to your ebay account.

Unless there's an esoteric interpretation of the rules, that seems resonable.

[quote name='setekh' post='1138716' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:33 PM']You can always circumvent the problem and advertise your gear in the For sale sections with a price in mind and a link to your ebay account.

Unless there's an esoteric interpretation of the rules, that seems resonable.[/quote]

I've stuck stuff on eBay with no reserve starting at 99p... unfortunately that precludes me from putting it up in the sale section!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1138721' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:39 PM']I've stuck stuff on eBay with no reserve starting at 99p... unfortunately that precludes me from putting it up in the sale section![/quote]
Now all you need is a mate (from no particular bass guitar conversation type forum in particular :)) to spontaneously and completely at random post a link for your auctions in the ebay discussion section. I suggest a title of "Wow [i]'xyz bass gear'[/i] for 99p!!!!" may reap dividends. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1138747' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:56 PM']Now all you need is a mate (from no particular bass guitar conversation type forum in particular :lol:) to spontaneously and completely at random post a link for your auctions in the ebay discussion section. I suggest a title of "Wow [i]'xyz bass gear'[/i] for 99p!!!!" may reap dividends. :)[/quote]

[s]Thanks for the offer. [/s] :D I mean... NO that would be devious and underhand! :)