Why become a member? ×

Ebay links forum

Kiwi

Owing to the number of people just joining the forum and posting their ebay auctions in the Ebay links section, we're thinking about installing a 50 post minimum there. The original intention behind the creation of this forum was that it was a place to discuss Ebay auctions, not to offer free advertising to Ebayers.

We'll do it in a couple of days but before we go ahead, is anyone going to be adversely affected by this measure?

Just a thought, there may well be a good few of those that go on and become active members. I certainly came on the site in the first instance to look at off-loading some gear. I did however then play by the rules by introducing myself and making some posts first. I now really like the place. Be careful not to lose more potential members.

To be honest, I search Ebay for stuff and only look on this site at the adds in their relevant sections.

To limit it to 50 posts is a fine idea, but it is easy to rack that up (I think I may have that already!) and I only joined a month ago :)

This is a fantastic forum and I am enjoying the banter etc.

As moderaters, can you not just have an approval system for newbies to post Ebay links, like with new membership?

Just a thought (from a newbie) - Cheers Brian

Edited by Blademan_98

Could there be a limit just for the newer members? I love that section of BC and have posted a few links in there - actually never for my EBay sales but more to comment on stuff that I find of interest. I have no idea how close to 50 I am (probably only 4 - D'Oh!) but would hate to not be able to post new threads. However I can see and understand the problem so if it's a sacrifice that has to be made, so be it.

[quote name='tarcher' post='1087148' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:03 PM']So if you join the forum but don't post but just read,then decide to use the ebay links the computers going to say "No".
Doesn't seem right to me.
There are people I'm sure that just aren't "Chatty Man".
Still your forum your rules.[/quote]

The links will still work... Everyone can link and read.

What has been proposed is that member who I've made less than 50 posts are unable to post a thread in the eBay forum. This is to avoid the larger number of people that join the forum, post a link to thier eBay sale and then vanish never to be seen again - or at least until they have something else to sell.

50 posts on Basschat is easily achieved and even the casual basschatter will have that many post after browsing the forum for a while... But it's enough that people visiting purely to advertise thier wares will be unable to do so.

Shep

Ps. BurritoBass - you have posted 3,128 times so no worries about being under the 50 post requirement :)

Hang on chaps, just to be clear...

...I'm talking about restricting access to the Ebay links forum ONLY to those who have more than 50 posts. Not the rest of the site.

I take the points on about discouraging new members but they won't be stopped from participating in the rest of the site, it will just restrict those whose sole intention in joining is to promote their auction.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1087226' date='Jan 12 2011, 09:01 PM']The links will still work... Everyone can link and read.

What has been proposed is that member who I've made less than 50 posts are unable to post a thread in the eBay forum. This is to avoid the larger number of people that join the forum, post a link to thier eBay sale and then vanish never to be seen again - or at least until they have something else to sell.

50 posts on Basschat is easily achieved and even the casual basschatter will have that many post after browsing the forum for a while... But it's enough that people visiting purely to advertise thier wares will be unable to do so.

Shep

Ps. BurritoBass - you have posted 3,128 times so no worries about being under the 50 post requirement :)[/quote]

Yes we understand that but some people are just happy to browse without feeling the need throw their tuppence worth in.
What is wrong with having a set time that you have to be a member for,before you get to use the ebay facilitie.
Or for that matter say fifty posts or 3months membership,whichever occurs the soonest.
Just a thought.

As a ps is this a big problem?
What sort of a percentage of people are doing this?

Edited by tarcher

[quote name='tarcher' post='1087485' date='Jan 13 2011, 12:44 AM']Yes we understand that but some people are just happy to browse without feeling the need throw their tuppence worth in.
What is wrong with having a set time that you have to be a member for,before you get to use the ebay facilitie.
Or for that matter say fifty posts or 3months membership,whichever occurs the soonest.
Just a thought.

As a ps is this a big problem?
What sort of a percentage of people are doing this?[/quote]

I'd reckon this would be your best bet.

Although I would say around a month insetad :)

[quote name='tarcher' post='1087485' date='Jan 13 2011, 12:44 AM']As a ps is this a big problem?
What sort of a percentage of people are doing this?[/quote]
+1

I must admit when this thread was first posted up I looked back through a few pages on the ebay links forum to see how many were doing this (especially as I remembered there were quite a few recent threads that were started by people plugging their own auction). I was a bit surprised to find most had been members for quite a while and almost all were fully fledged members. I think there was one that would have been caught by this rule.

I think my opinion is fairly well known, there should be such a limit on [b][i]all[/b][/i] sale forums, but i don't see much merit in just applying the limit to the ebay forum, as someone said why not just move the threads to the sale forums instead.

Not that I'm losing any sleep over it - and I do concede that I haven't been around that long - but I notice that my membership status has reverted from 'member' to 'no longer a noob'. Seems a bit of a shame, since I've tried to contribute to a very varied number of threads, and I haven't even come close to posting a FleaBay link...

Will your changes have affected this?

BB

I see good: it will reduce the advertising in the Ebay links forum and help shift it back to discussion about Ebay auctions.

I see bad: what is to stop new members posting "That's nice" 50 times in other posts to be able to post in the Ebay links forum? I think that Basschat could be inundated with pointless posts so people can rack up 50 posts so they can advertise their auction. Even if these posts are removed later, they still have their 50 when the post in the Ebay section.

Also, can anyone explain what is so horrible with posting links in the Ebay forum for their own auction? It lets members know that there might be a bargain to be had and doesn't force anyone to buy anything. It is not really different from posting in the For Sale section.

(with the caveat that I am seldom in there browsing and have only one or two posts in there. Take my opinions with an appropriately sized pinch of salt)

[quote name='Kev' post='1090527' date='Jan 15 2011, 03:34 PM']I think my opinion is fairly well known, there should be such a limit on [b][i]all[/b][/i] sale forums, but i don't see much merit in just applying the limit to the ebay forum, as someone said why not just move the threads to the sale forums instead.[/quote]
Agreed, with the additional proviso that ebay auction links in For Sale don't need prices to be stated.

Ironically, several of the links to ebay auctions which arrived in the Ebay links subforum recently appeared (from the response to them) to have been moved there from For Sale.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1091317' date='Jan 16 2011, 01:10 PM']Also, can anyone explain what is so horrible with posting links in the Ebay forum for their own auction? It lets members know that there might be a bargain to be had and doesn't force anyone to buy anything. It is not really different from posting in the For Sale section.[/quote]

That's not the issue as such.

The issue is people coming on and soley posting one or two links in there, never to be seen again (as CK put it), rather than members posting links to their auctions or informing everyone else of interesting stuff they've come across.

Why should people be able to drum up interest in their auctions, therefore making them slightly more money, without actually participating in the forum? A: They shouldn't.

I'm all for these new restrictions. It's a shame, but BC is no longer small like it was, so rules are needed.

Another forum I'm on (and which Ped is also on :) ) has a limit of 30 days *and* 100 posts before any for sale threads can be posted (not just ebay links). And posts in the off topic section do not count towards your total number of posts. And all dealing has to be done on thread rather than by PM :)

So I don't see this suggestion as an issue particularly.