Why become a member? ×

Elvis Sound

phsycoandy

Not a lot of info being provided there, Andy.

Which numbers are we talking about here - [i]Hound Dog[/i] or [i]Burning Love[/i]? They're pretty different.

What bass do you play - Warwick Thumb or Yamaha P-bass? They're pretty different too!

The bass played on early Elvis recordings was almost invariably an old-fashioned upright double-bass. Those things were absolute buggers to record properly, and what most people hum when you ask them for the "bassline" is often the left hand of the piano. Check out [i]Don't Be Cruel[/i] for a good example of this.

I play early Elvis on vintage Hofner semi-acoustic basses fitted with flatwounds. The sound is reasonably close to a double-bass to start with (combination of short scale and flats), and the lack of sustain can be helped along by 'killing' the notes with your left hand - as soon as you've played the note lift your finger a millimetre or so while still touching the string.

It's not a technique that will suit most types of music, and it can't be played at great speed, but that's alright Mama, that's alright for you, that's alright Mana, just any way you choose.

Thanks for the advice, thankfully this is a one off thats been sprung on me......[quote name='Welshbassist' post='124285' date='Jan 21 2008, 12:05 AM']Make sure you turn the tweeter off on that Epi, and boost your low mids, while cutting a bit of your treble.

If possible, try and get a set of flats, or at least make sure your rounds are dead enough.[/quote]

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='124342' date='Jan 21 2008, 08:12 AM']Thanks for the advice, thankfully this is a one off thats been sprung on me......[/quote]

Stick some foam under the string at the bridge, gives you the muted thump without requiring any technical stuf with the fingers (the old Precisions would have had foam string mutes under the bridge cover). Means you can play the same lines faster also.
Check out his concert from '68 with the TCB (Taking Care of Business) band. It was the bass playing on this as much as anything that convinced me that the bass was the instrument to play. In 'Suspicious Minds' - which sets off at a pretty frantic pace anyway - the bassist just goes off on one in an almost Entwhistle-esque style, whilst stil holding down a great groove. I think Elvis realised something special was happening 'cos at about the same point in the song he just stops singing and throws a few shapes (either that or a cheeseburger was repeating on him). Either way, pure rock 'n' roll.
Chris
PS if your band aren't doing Suspicious Minds, ask them too. Play it a little up tempo and it's a bass player's dream :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='124345' date='Jan 21 2008, 08:48 AM']Stick some foam under the string at the bridge, gives you the muted thump without requiring any technical stuf with the fingers (the old Precisions would have had foam string mutes under the bridge cover). Means you can play the same lines faster also.
Check out his concert from '68 with the TCB (Taking Care of Business) band. It was the bass playing on this as much as anything that convinced me that the bass was the instrument to play. In 'Suspicious Minds' - which sets off at a pretty frantic pace anyway - the bassist just goes off on one in an almost Entwhistle-esque style, whilst stil holding down a great groove. I think Elvis realised something special was happening 'cos at about the same point in the song he just stops singing and throws a few shapes (either that or a cheeseburger was repeating on him). Either way, pure rock 'n' roll.
Chris
PS if your band aren't doing Suspicious Minds, ask them too. Play it a little up tempo and it's a bass player's dream :)[/quote]

Yep. Jerry Scheff is the man.

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='124285' date='Jan 21 2008, 12:05 AM']Make sure you turn the tweeter off on that Epi, and boost your low mids, while cutting a bit of your treble.

If possible, try and get a set of flats, or at least make sure your rounds are dead enough.[/quote]
Putting several pillows in front of the speaker should help too.